Confirming how Gateway saves work in Emunand.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Chrushev, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Chrushev
    OP

Chrushev GBAtemp Fan

Jul 23, 2013
    Serbia, Republic of
    Hey guys, seeing all these posts about how saves are getting corrupted I want to make sure I dont have the same thing happen to me. First of, am I correct to assume that saves work the following way:

in Emunand:

- CIA - saves are created on SD Card whenever you save. The yare updated immediately and you do not need to exit the game for the save to "commit". Saves work exactly like they do on eShop games.
    - 3ds and 3dz running off of Gateway in Emunand - saves are created on SD Card, but require you to exit the game to "commit" if you do not exit the game and simply shut down 3DS the saves will not be there.

Is that correct?

Now... how do you back up CIA saves?

2. samiam144

samiam144 Régulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    For 3ds/3dz as long as you exit through the home menu or press the power button, it will save. It won't "commit" if, say, your battery dies or the game crashes while exiting.

For CIA, you are correct. You can back the saves up using savedatafiler (search google). It puts it in a folder on your SD Card, organized by date (ex: 201503111237)

Use http://3ds.essh.co/ to determine the titleID for each game

3. Chrushev
    OP

Chrushev GBAtemp Fan

Jul 23, 2013
    Serbia, Republic of
    So if I just drag and drop that CIA save file, can I thn later drag and drop it back and the console will read it? Or do I have to like extract it and inject it etc?

4. samiam144

samiam144 Régulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    Personally I extract using savedatafiler and drag n drop the folders (ex: 201503111237) somewhere safe. Then if I need to put them back, I would just drag em back and use savedatafiler to inject them back into the game. Cia saves have to be injected back in, it's not simply a drag n drop sorta thing.

Keep in mind, I believe some games (especially Pokemon) won't accept an older save than what it last used. Meaning, if you played the game and saved today, and tried to inject a save that you backed up yesterday, it would just corrupt your save.

5. apoptygma

apoptygma GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 30, 2010
    Wait wut? Where are you suggesting that data is saved?

6. samiam144

samiam144 Régulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada

Cia saves, like eShop saves, are encrypted within the "Nintendo 3DS" folder on the SD Card. You can only back them up by decrypting them using savedatafiler to the "filer" folder. Within the filer folder are the decrypted saves that are ready to backup or modify. Then if you want to use those saves, you must inject them back (i.e. encrypted and copied into the "Nintendo 3DS" folder)

7. Garro

Garro Pendulum of souls!

Aug 15, 2009
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Somewhere
    Deleting the secure value of the savefile with SaveDataFiler removes that check.

VerseHell and samiam144 like this.
  8. samiam144

samiam144 Régulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada

Thank you, good to know!

9. Chrushev
    OP

Chrushev GBAtemp Fan

Jul 23, 2013
    Serbia, Republic of
    But with eshop games I can just copy them to another SD card and still use them... cant I back up CIA saves the same way?