Hacking [Confirmed Untrue] Upcoming 8.0 fw bricking systems with auto rcm

stephrk398

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And Game_Over says:

"
Also the next firmware update from Nintendo is expected to roll out very soon. This update could possibly come today.

DO NOT UPDATE YOUR SWITCH PAST FIRMWARE 7.0.1 if you expect to continue using SX OS or any other CFW. As we have seen in the last few updates, Nintendo has taken great efforts to lock out the console from running CFW. Rumors in the scene are indicating that the next update could possibly introduce some more serious obstacles that could potentially brick consoles that have AutoRCM enabled. This is speculation right now, as we won't know for SURE until the firmware releases. For now, it is best to stay safe and STAY OFFLINE. Also decline any and all updates if you are prompted until news is posted here.

It is also highly advised that users who plan to run CFW on patched units also stay on a firmware 7.0.1 or lower until further notice. (no eta)

I strongly suggest everyone do a full emmc (nand) dump and store it somewhere safe."
argtdfgas.PNG

What @oblid is referring to. From an Admin, not a "VIP" user.

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
interesting reading.. and whoever thought the words suspended would give me such a laugh.. at least it'll be a bit quieter for a short while.

Switch_Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guess it's not a rumor anymore.....God almighty himself has now confirmed not to update. SciresM said "Switch firmware 8.0.0 has been released. Do not update to it until further notice. It patches multiple critical bugs -- especially if you are on a unit with the RCM bug patched, updating may mean you never have any way to hack the console via software."

The generic comments lol.

They'll still hate.

NeoSlyde

Let us start the game
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Guess it's not a rumor anymore.....God almighty himself has now confirmed not to update. SciresM said "Switch firmware 8.0.0 has been released. Do not update to it until further notice. It patches multiple critical bugs -- especially if you are on a unit with the RCM bug patched, updating may mean you never have any way to hack the console via software."

They'll still hate.
Blind People :shrug:

Reactions: Switch_Maniac

Trice

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland

They'll still hate.
He doesn't say anything about systems with Auto RCM getting bricked though. He's just warning users that have newer Switches with the patched RCM bug that the update might make it impossible for them to ever hack their Switches because it patches critical bugs that could be used as an entry point. And of course nobody should update before it is known what the firmware update exactly changes and Atmosphere is updated to support it, like always.

Switch_Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He doesn't say anything about systems with Auto RCM getting bricked though. He's just warning users that have newer Switches with the patched RCM bug that the update might make it impossible for them to ever hack their Switches because it patches critical bugs that could be used as an entry point. And of course nobody should update before it is known what the firmware update exactly changes and Atmosphere is updated to support it, like always.

Fair enough, but he does say you may never be able to hack your console via software again. So yes, no "brick" (which gets used incorrectly all over consoles forums), but still not good for those patched consoles.

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
He say something? Where? Quote him.

Also, a big warning: If you are on a unit which has the RCM bug (fusee gelee) patched, and start playing with Atmosphere using Deja Vu: do not install AutoRCM. This will brick your unit, and you will need to use hardware to fix corrupted the BOOT0 partition.

Applies for patched units.

Last edited by thaikhoa,

natkoden

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/1117956835456061440

Also, a big warning: If you are on a unit which has the RCM bug (fusee gelee) patched, and start playing with Atmosphere using Deja Vu: do not install AutoRCM. This will brick your unit, and you will need to use hardware to fix corrupted the BOOT0 partition.

got me confused there... who whas deja vu? i know i don't... i mean, was it released and i totally missed that?

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/1117956835456061440

That’s always been the case... not anything new or 8.0.0 specific

got me confused there... who whas deja vu? i know i don't... i mean, was it released and i totally missed that?
Warmboot exploit chain for <=7.0.1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Don't really see the point in updating it tbh