I warned y'all.
3UgjENV.jpg

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My guess is they either embedded the keys or they are using modified sept

They embedded the relevant key(s). Just like they did for 6.2.0. They just had to actually try to get the system to leak out the key(s) this time. A far lamer (and illegal, not that Stargate/TX/Gateway/True Blue/Paradox cares) approach than owning TSEC, and because they didn't do the work of owning TSEC, they will have a hard life going forward.

TX did catch a lucky break this time, with new eShop games and updates still not using MasterKey7. Nintendo switched to MasterKey6 across the board a few days after 6.X dropped, yet they held back this time, when they could have actually caused some pain. So odd.

Last edited by blahblah,

Erol

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
49 days later! Going to pull it apart and see if they went the easy route of just embedding the root key. Will be disappointed if they did, that's a lame approach.
0 Games need 7.0 later. I will still not update. Not until the day where a game that I want to play requires 7.0. I couldn’t care less about 7.0.

SXAintSoBad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Looking forwards to giving the SX beta a go to see if the parts that broke c/f Atmosphere 7.0.1 now work. That will save me a ton of time in reinstalling.

No gloating from me. No point. Learned quite a bit from this thread despite some of the vitriol being a bit much at times.

Will also be interested in what the few people that actually know will eventually tell us about how TX have gone about this.

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking forwards to giving the SX beta a go to see if the parts that broke c/f Atmosphere 7.0.1 now work. That will save me a ton of time in reinstalling.

Will also be interested in what the few people that actually know will eventually tell us about how TX have gone about this.

Bad XCI conversions will continue to fail to launch. 7.X is stricter in what it is willing to accept, just as 6.x was. For an experience that will be sustainable going forward, either use real eShop NSPs or convert using 4NXCI.

It's going to be a lame attack of some sort, likely a hardware driven attack on a component electrically close to the RAM.

D

Deleted User

Bad XCI conversions will continue to fail to launch. 7.X is stricter in what it is willing to accept, just as 6.x was. For an experience that will be sustainable going forward, either use real eShop NSPs or convert using 4NXCI.

It's going to be a lame attack of some sort, likely a hardware driven attack on a component electrically close to the RAM.

You sir are just spouting nonsense. Anyone worth his salt knows TSEC memory is internal to the SoC and not exposed in any way

Reactions: peteruk

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You sir are just spouting nonsense. Anyone worth his salt knows TSEC memory is internal to the SoC and not exposed in any way

TSEC itself (and how it deals with RAM) would not be a factor for reasons I do not want to explain in explicit terms in public. Owning TSEC and obtaining the key(s) needed to boot 7.X are not the same thing. Owning TSEC frees one from having to come up with creative new ways to achieve the same goal with each mitigation introduced by Nintendo, though.

I am being as explicit as I can be. There are a number of known, semi-obvious flaws in the 7.X TSEC setup. That's a bad way of phrasing it - there are hardware flaws that chip away at Nintendo's TSEC-based key secrecy approach.

That the rest of the Switch is completely broken isn't one of those flaws, but a certain lack of hardware hardening definitely is.

The only thing that was a question was 'is TX really going to invest the time and energy to update a product they haven't been updating with zero-effort QOL improvements for months?'. Seems that they are still interested in chasing the dwindling market, for now.

Last edited by blahblah,

Rafaqat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So I've been sat on firmware 5.0 but and bought SXOS Pro but haven't done anything because I wanted my SD card to be exFat and I couldn't do that without upgrading the firmware. Now what the 2.6 Beta is out and supports 7.0 I guess I can upgrade. Looked at how to get exFAT support while staying at 5.0 and it was a pretty convoluted process. Still loathe to come off 5.0 but that's probably just me thinking I'm losing something when I probably won't miss it.
#

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I like Lacius a lot, he's a very helpful member on here and I appreciate his contributions.. That said his categoric refusal to believe anything new would be coming from TX was somewhat tiresome

Still think he's a top person though all the same

I couldn't agree more, I've known him for years from a famous 3DS forum. Always helping users out.:)

Reactions: peteruk

rrocha

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
They embedded the relevant key(s). Just like they did for 6.2.0. They just had to actually try to get the system to leak out the key(s) this time. A far lamer (and illegal, not that Stargate/TX/Gateway/True Blue/Paradox cares) approach than owning TSEC, and because they didn't do the work of owning TSEC, they will have a hard life going forward.

Did you reverse the new beta code already? Where can we get more info on this?
Any proof on these claims?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."