CONFIRMED! Mega Man 9 - Heading to WiiWare!

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Source

Robot Masters
Magma Man
Galaxy Man
Jewel Man
Concrete Man
Hornet Man
Plug Man
Tornado Man
Splash Woman

mm9_1.jpg

Image from GoNintendo.

So damn fucking happy, though I'd prefer this on DS.

EDIT: Forgot to add the Gonintendo have seen the NP issue and confirmed it also.
EDIT 2: More details...awesome stuff:
- Dr. Wily returns
- Story: Dr. Wily blames Dr. Light for robot master attacks
- various level hazards: lava, gravity-defying magnetic platforms, Mega Man clones
- attacks gained from Robot Masters: Galaxy Man’s Black Hole Bombs
- development handled by Inti Creates (Mega Man Zero, ZX, Battle Chip Challenge)
- controls: Wiimote NES style, just as you would expect it to be
- Rush returns
- 8-bit style was chosen to ‘please fans’
- 8-bit music
- 8-bit cut-scenes
- difficultly on-par with NES games
- return of classic enemies, as well as new ones
- Will Protoman be playable? “you’ll have to wait and see.”
- hopes in surpassing the quality of Mega Man 2

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CockroachMan said:
Hadrian said:
CockroachMan said:
I came..

but.. that's an image of the game!?
wtf.gif
Sure is, Capcom are going for the NES look.

Weird.. that will sure drive a lot of new gamers away from it.. don't sound like a good decision to me..
But the new gamers would be owned by the game if its anything like the original series. And those that won't I'm sure that they won't mind as the NES games have done well on VC.

Its purely for us old schoolers who remember Mega Man games where you actually played Mega Man.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Hadrian said:
CockroachMan said:
Hadrian said:
CockroachMan said:
I came..

but.. that's an image of the game!?
wtf.gif
Sure is, Capcom are going for the NES look.

Weird.. that will sure drive a lot of new gamers away from it.. don't sound like a good decision to me..
But the new gamers would be owned by the game if its anything like the original series. And those that won't I'm sure that they won't mind as the NES games have done well on VC.

Its purely for us old schoolers who remember Mega Man games where you actually played Mega Man.

Still.. doesn't make sense, coming back to 8bit!? WTF? I love the idea of having it 2D, but I like my games with more than 16 colors! It's 2008 for Christ sake!
tongue.gif

I was expecting at least some SNES like graphics.. Still think that this screenshot is not from the game.. I'll wait for more scans..

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
noONE said:
I'm just glad they release a proper Mega Man
biggrin.gif
Don't say that when there aren't even any screens
lecture.gif

Keep in mind that even Megaman Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X on the PSP were like 250MBs big, and they barely meet my expectations for a new "proper" Mega Man
wacko.gif

I bet they're just using WiiWare as an excuse for not making MM9 a full-blown game...it's one thing if they publish a remake of an old game (I'm talking about Bionic Commando of course) on XBox Live Arcade, which kicks WiiWare's ass HARD, but a brand new Mega Man game on WiiWare? Come on, it deserved better than that...
Thanks to WiiWare, the game WILL have some limitations, there's no way around it...Oh, and I can't wait to see what innovative use will be made of the Wiimote
rolleyes.gif

Let's hope for the best, though...maybe they're using 2D sprite graphics, but I somehow doubt that
frown.gif

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vater Unser said:
lecture.gif

Let's hope for the best, though...maybe they're using 2D sprite graphics, but I somehow doubt that
frown.gif
There is a screen.

Also it will be a full game seeing that there are 8 bosses in it. As for the "limitations", people seem to miss the point to what this game is meant to be, its an old school Mega Man.

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hadrian said:
Vater Unser said:
lecture.gif

frown.gif
There is a screen.

Also it will be a full game seeing that there are 8 bosses in it. As for the "limitations", people seem to miss the point to what this game is meant to be, its an old school Mega Man.
Wait, so it's supposed to have NES graphics?
ph34r.gif

Give me a break...as much as I love retro games, that's just unbelievably cheap
wtf.gif

Please shoot me if that screen up there is *confirmed* to be from Mega Man 9...

P

pasc

anyway, I already thought, 9 would be better of on the big screen anyways, since it belonged there since 1 ^^.

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pasc said:
anyway, I already thought, 9 would be better of on the big screen anyways, since it belonged there since 1 ^^.
Very true indeed.

If Nintendo did the same with Mario people would accept it more I reckon.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Yep.. the NES graphics are confirmed.. found some (bad) scans:

MegaMan9small.JPG

MegaMan9-3small.JPG

source: http://blue-bomber.jvmwriter.org

and a transcript of the article: http://wii.kombo.com/article.php?artid=12136

QUOTE said:
The new game is being developed by Inti Creates, who have a wealth of experience in the Mega Man franchise with their creation of the Mega Man Zero and ZX titles, plus MegaMan Battle Chip Challenge. In addition, to celebrate Mega Man's 20th anniversary, Mega Man ZX Advent featured a mini game of three levels made in the NES Mega Man style.

For controlling the Blue Bomber, players will be able to hold the Wii Remote sideways in NES-style, with the control pad moving Mega Man and the two buttons set to Jump and Fire. Doesn't look like there will be any flashy shaking going on here.

But while he says there are no new mechanical devices for Mega Man to obtain, Inafune states that the robodog Rush makes a triumphant return, as they wanted to make sure some of the other classic characters are in.

The reason for the return to NES-style graphics is due to the desire to please longtime fans who wanted to play a new game that was like the originals. In addition, the popularity of retro graphics on things like t-shirts and other paraphernalia "made it seem like the right time" to bring out an oldschool game. Plus, they wanted to show what the upper-limits of 8-bit graphics could do.

And in addition to the graphics, the music will be styled in an 8-bit fashion, as well as 8-bit styled cinema cutscenes. "I am sure when people see the opening scenes- new content with 8-bit graphics- they're going to be very excited."

In terms of difficulty, Inafune says they aren't holding back for players whose reflexes might have deteriorated over the years, but they will try to keep it as close to that of the NES games as possible. Sounds good to me.

And finally, to the Mega Man fans, he says: "The moment you've been waiting for is here! We're not just giving you Mega Man 9, we're giving you a new NES game. This is a game that brings back the fun of the old games, and I hope you all enjoy it!"

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Cocky!

When this game comes out, I'll get a new Wii, I do miss playing some of the games but I will kill to play a new old school Mega Man.

If anyone could get us some larger scans of the screens that would be great.

EDIT More details:
- Dr. Wily returns
- Story: Dr. Wily blames Dr. Light for robot master attacks
- various level hazards: lava, gravity-defying magnetic platforms, Mega Man clones
- attacks gained from Robot Masters: Galaxy Man’s Black Hole Bombs
- development handled by Inti Creates (Mega Man Zero, ZX, Battle Chip Challenge)
- controls: Wiimote NES style, just as you would expect it to be
- Rush returns
- 8-bit style was chosen to ‘please fans’
- 8-bit music
- 8-bit cut-scenes
- difficultly on-par with NES games
- return of classic enemies, as well as new ones
- Will Protoman be playable? “you’ll have to wait and see.”
- hopes in surpassing the quality of Mega Man 2

8 bit fucking music!!!

*Does sex wee*

Site & Scene News