Concerning the Nintedont Maintenance and sysUpdater (people who haven't sucesfully downgraded)?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by LeSpaz, Jan 11, 2016.

1. LeSpaz
    OP

LeSpaz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    *EDIT*
    So I caved in this morning on and formatted my OLD 3ds Xl (US).
    rip in peace mii plaza T_T

but yes i can CONFIRM, doing a SYSTEM RESTORE will fix any SOFT BRICKING LOOPS.
    (on my o3dsxl anyways)

So question. Probably a silly dumb obvious one.
    Will upgrading to firmware 10.3 be unavailable during the maintenance time?

I've been desperately trying all day to downgrade my O3DS XL (U) all day, but i've only been getting softbricks and had to reupdate to fix the situation.

I'm kicking myself thinking KTM (rip) was gonna fix my problem and i should have just taken the plunge sooner to attempt to downgrade. But now i'm having no sucess with my files i can 100% guarantee are correct.

If anyone knows if we can still update or has a possible fix (i know formatting my system. But i really want to keep my mii plaza/street pass data. Unless anyone knows how i can back up this data on 10.3??) it would be appreciated.

-----------

So little/big things i've been noticing when attempting and if anyone can answer:
    1. I actually counted how many cia files were installing one at a time. Number came to 38~41 each trial before "NATIVE FIRM" appeared. All 126 files (o3dsxl U) are suppose to install right?
    2. When the cia files are installing, they don't instantly appear one after another. They slowly materialize one at a time then the green "Installed" logo shows after each. Are the files suppose to just pop up?
    3. If I were to do a system format, does anyone know a way to backup the systems save data on 10.3? I've searched the forums but can't find any definitive answer. I really want to keep my Mii Plaza data since it's been worked on for years.
    Notes:
    Using Menuhax 2.1, using frbrony "trick", tried using a separate fresh formatted fat32 sd card, tried switching entry points...

Last edited by LeSpaz, Jan 11, 2016

2. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    yep, updating will be down.

LeSpaz likes this.
  3. Fureshyu

Fureshyu GBAtemp Regular

Nov 20, 2015
    United States
    This may be a once in a lifetime opportunity to downgrade so keep trying until it works. I just downgraded today and fortunately it worked my second time. I was using a mac and got the extra .[name whatever].cia and deleted it with ftbrony and it worked like a charm (first time was a partial downgrade.) And I did this just using the sysupdater, I didn't format my sdcard or started fresh. Just. Keep. Trying.

4. coreycubed

coreycubed Member

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2009
    United States
    The "once in a lifetime" part is the ability to recover from softbrick, right? Cause everything else that I know of can still be done even if they take the servers down and you're on 10.3.

5. TDotFlame

TDotFlame GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2015
    Canada
    what should I do im getting my 2ds tomorrow in the mail but won't be home untill 3pm. Should I just come home and use sysupdater and hope everything works out?

iAqua likes this.
  6. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    Either that or wait for KTM, which will be released sometime after the maintenance window and 10.4 release.

7. LeSpaz
    OP

LeSpaz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    If ktm is just a "noob-proof" way of checking you inserted the right files, i'm still kinda screwed.
    Even if ktm ever does come out, it's most likely just a fork of sysUpdater.
    Meaning people who keep getting softbricks will still get them.

8. GalladeGuy

GalladeGuy Freeze Kirby :3

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    If you're getting a 2DS, it will be below 9.3 as long as it isn't the Yokai Watch bundle. You don't need to downgrade for that.

driverdis likes this.
  9. dyingyam

dyingyam Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2016
    United States
    Yeah, uh, Pingo doesn't have the best track record with that. Besides, all it would've done was to do some hash checks for file integrity. You can do that yourself. If I hadn't downgraded already I'd do it now so softlocks let you have another chance.

10. HuskerStorm

HuskerStorm Member

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2010
    United States
    So if we are on 10.3 and DONT downgrade we will still be able to downgrade even after the update as long as we have a way to get to menuhax correct? Assuming we stay on 10.3.

11. DKB
    This message by DKB has been removed from public view by Veho, Jan 11, 2016, Reason: Not an imageboard.
    Jan 11, 2016
  12. axemurderer

axemurderer GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2014
    United States
    Hoenn nostalgia town
    I'm also really hoping for a solution to the softbrick problem. I really don't want to format and lose almost 5 years of data that can't be backed up.

13. ZoneBlaze

ZoneBlaze GBAtemp Regular

Aug 14, 2014
    United States
    We should be fine as long as we can still access homebrew, right? I plan on downgrading my sister's 3DS sometime this week and she's on 10.1(I believe). Is there something Nintendo implemented that requires we use their service for any of the downgrade/CFW installation process?

14. xxbilxx
    This message by xxbilxx has been removed from public view by Veho, Jan 11, 2016, Reason: Pointless.
    Jan 11, 2016
  15. lynismybae

lynismybae Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2016
    The main fear would be that if you soft-bricked your 3ds and updated through recovery mode, you would get 10.4 instead of 10.3, which may not be vulnerable (I'm new here, don't know for sure)

The failure rate for downgrading is relatively high, which is why some people are trying to do it while the exploitable 10.3 is still available

jscjml and ZoneBlaze like this.
  16. ZoneBlaze

ZoneBlaze GBAtemp Regular

Aug 14, 2014
    United States
    I see, I hadn't considered getting a brick. My O3DS downgrade went smoothly. Fingers crossed, I hope my sister's O3DS will downgrade without any issues as well.

Thanks for clearing it up.

PS- I hear different entrypoints are better?
    I used Ninjhax, in case anyone's wondering.

17. DKB

DKB FUCK OFF

May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    Hm. They say IronHax works well, I think different entrypoints have more levels of access to points of the hax, allowing for a higher success rate. Personally, first time I used menuhax and the downgrade failed. Second try, I used Browserhax and it worked smoothly. (30 games installed baby yeah)

ZoneBlaze likes this.
  18. Kafke

Kafke GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2009
    United States
    Formatting is the solution to the soft-bricking, guys. Worked instantly after formatting. There might be another fix, but it sure ain't gonna come in a day. The problem isn't the downgrader, or the cia files, or anything. It's the console. Either wait an eternity for someone to maybe figure it out and fix it, or just rip the bandaid off and backup what you can.

19. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It also checks after a CIA install whether the CIA actually installed or not and retries the install up to 5 times, something sysupdater doesn't do yet AFAIK. Sysupdater will just give up on a failure.

20. Tapri

Tapri GBAtemp Regular

Oct 15, 2015
    United States
    Everyone knew this was coming, especially after the 32c3 conference. What everyone is interested in is what Nintendo's response is, more or less what exploits they've closed/fix.

21. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    What's the rush? Just because 10.4 might come out doesn't mean you can't downgrade, just don't update from 10.3. Once you're using EmuNAND, chances are you can update that to 10.4 just fine.

22. Kafke

Kafke GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2009
    United States
    The rush is that there's certain select people, seemingly at random, that get constant soft-bricks when trying to downgrade. And soft-brick=have to update to latest FW.

V3NUS_M1NER and axemurderer like this.