[CONCEPT]ROM Blending

Yeniaul

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I came up with a new form of corruption (but lack the programming to make a program) called ROM Blending. This involves taking large areas of code from one ROM and putting it in the same place in another. (So, taking block 10000h-14000h of Sonic 2 and putting it at block 10000h-14000h of Sonic 3.)

I have had some interesting results with this in the past, as you can see here.

This could be AWESOME, but I can't make a program for this. I'd like to see this happen one day, though.

Reactions: sup3rgh0st

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think I have seen this before. Seen corruption where valid data is aimed to be made (no having FF when you are using 15 bit colours for example) and any amount of tilting but this is new.

Depending upon how intelligent you want to get then you could make something like this with a batch file if you wanted to. You just need a tool to slice files up, fortunately that sort of thing is very useful in ROM hacking so we have them. Normally I go with http://min.midco.net/cracker/filecutter.zip

Feed it a base ROM, a donor ROM, have filecutter slice things up accordingly and use copy /b to put it all back together, if you are really flash then maybe have a check to make sure the end ROM is going back together back in the right order.

_112

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I don't think the rom would even playable because when you split it you might take core parts of the rom and when you load it, it just splatters

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
was making a NES repro and found it funny having the CHR from one game and PRG from another on resulting in some pretty weird results, was funny trying to spot the tiles of the CHR showing up in the other game ......although mostly is was a garbled mess :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.