Concept footage for Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) shows a very different looking Sonic

An artist who worked on pre-visualisation concept shots for the Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie has uploaded footage to his Vimeo channel that shows a bizarre gremlin-like, placeholder Sonic.

Ellery Ortiz, a pre-visualization artist who works for Digital Domain created the proof of concept footage using early placeholder assets and models to visualise how the scenes would play out in motion. These concept shots are then evaluated by the animators and directors before being filmed and then used by the animators to create the final animation seen in the movie.

Ellery Ortiz said:
Working from storyboards, I created animation and defined timing of action in the shots. Sweetened with FX and Lighting elements. Defined camera composition and lens choices for the purposes of storytelling.

The Sonic model used in the shot looks unlike any other version seen, even the one shown in the infamous 2019 trailer.

What do you think of the evolution of Sonic's movie design?

:arrow: Sonic the Hedgehog: Previs (Vimeo)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    287.6 KB · Views: 520

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I wasn't expecting to see full 3D rendered scenes. Must have been a lot of work putting that together as rough mockups from the storyboards and then film it and render sonic over the filmed sequences.

It is quite good quality work for a rough draft.

RyRyIV

Woke Clown
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Give us the UGLY cut of the film! We want to see what Ugly Tails looked like!!!!!
From what I’ve read online (which is always 100% accurate and could never be false info), ugly Tails never existed, and that post credits scene came about as an attempt to try and “win back” the audience along with the redesign

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk