Group: GBAtemp Ghost
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm thinking about buying a new computer and I want to see what you guys think, here is as much info as I can think about!

- This is going to be my gaming computer.
- I am going to use my 32" HDTV for the monitor.
- Anyway I can I can keep it under $500?
- Should I buy part-by-part or should I buy a whole computer?
- Oh ya, I live in Canada so don't go sending me to US only sites!

Thanks!

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Get XP not Vista
Since its gaming, part by part lets you get the best, example, you'll want a good video card for that HDTV, fast hard drive for faster loading times, RAM obviously, and maybe get an SLI board in case you ever need to upgrade

I don't think a good gaming computer can be under 500$ these days.

Wait till Black Friday or something, on Black Friday I'm getting a new hard drive, more RAM, and maybe a new video card.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TigerDirect has some rather cheap gaming rigs. There's one for a little more than $500, and my brother can run even Crysis, albeit laggy (couldn't get lower specs to work--crashed the game >.>) The only problem is that some of the builders are bad/lazy some of the time, so our computer may not be completely put together correctly, or other small issues. My brother's had one USB which killed anythign that went into it, and his took forever to come (rigs ship to the provider, or something liek that, to be put together, then out to you).

I just got a rig made in collaboration to run Crysis's sequel, and it didn't have any problems. Maybe try searching around there :?

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Diablo1123 said:
Wait till Black Friday or something, on Black Friday I'm getting a new hard drive, more RAM, and maybe a new video card.
I'm not a USer
wink.gif
. So no Black Friday.

I guess I'll have to save some more up....

Lets just say I'll go with $1,000 what can that get me?

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
playallday said:
Diablo1123 said:
I'm not a USer
wink.gif
. So no Black Friday.

A thousand can get you a very nice machine...$500 can get you a high performance computer on a budget. And get Vista x64 for it...the naysayers have never tried running Windows Vista or were trying to run it on their Pentium IIIs. I use Windows Vista x64 and its absolutely great...no crashes, no slow downs and very fast bootup time. My computer was built for $800 back in June:

- Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
- 4GB OCZ DDR2 Platinum RAM (800MHz)
- EVGA nForce 750i FTW Motherboard
- BFG 8800GT OC 512MB
- 500GB HD (can't remember brand...)
- Antec Sonata III Case w/500W PS

Are you in Toronto? If so I can recommend the cheapest store in the country.

Edit: And in regard to my claim that Vista x64 is great, I also own a Mac and XP machines...

Edit 2: I suggest buying part-by-part for the sheer fun of doing it...it also allows you to apply better thermal compounds like Arctic Silver 3 so you can get a better cooling performance from your stock fan.

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Renegade_R said:
playallday said:
Diablo1123 said:
I'm not a USer
wink.gif
. So no Black Friday.

A thousand can get you a very nice machine...$500 can get you a high performance computer on a budget. And get Vista x64 for it...the naysayers have never tried running Windows Vista or were trying to run it on their Pentium IIIs. I use Windows Vista x64 and its absolutely great...no crashes, no slow downs and very fast bootup time. My computer was built for $800 back in June:

- Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
- 4GB OCZ DDR2 Platinum RAM (800MHz)
- EVGA nForce 750i FTW Motherboard
- BFG 8800GT OC 512MB
- 500GB HD (can't remember brand...)
- Antec Sonata III Case w/500W PS

Are you in Toronto? If so I can recommend the cheapest store in the country.

Edit: And in regard to my claim that Vista x64 is great, I also own a Mac and XP machines...

Edit 2: I suggest buying part-by-part for the sheer fun of doing it...it also allows you to apply better thermal compounds like Arctic Silver 3 so you can get a better cooling performance from your stock fan.
Me too, I don't see why people say Windows Vista x64 is bad... I have it running on one of my computers.

Nope, I'm in Ottawa. But every year or two I end up near Toronto, so I could go if I wait awhile.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Sicklyboy, Hey