Hardware Computer won't get signal.

kjb1686

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone I have a PC that won't get a signal. It turns on fine all of the fans are running and everything. What I have tried so far is re socketing the CPU, removing RAM, checking all the connections, and re applying thermopaste. I have removed some connections one by one and nothing works. I am thinking it might be the PSU unit but have no idea. Any ideas of how I can get it to fix. It works periodically and when I get it going it works fine I had it running 3 days straight one time. I have no idea what is going on with it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do you have another machine you can try to boot the various components in? You have done the obvious ones but it is about at that stage, at least once you have tried resetting the BIOS, especially if you overclocked something.

What you describe could be a number of things -- I have seen this sort of thing be everything from badly seated RAM to a dying graphics card to a motherboard have a slightly dodgy connection on one of the chips, or indeed one of said chips overheating.

kjb1686

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ Fast I can try in another machine it is just a pain because there is a lot hooked up to the other one.

@ Sicklyboy unfortunately it doesn't have either I thought it had one but it doesn't and I don't have an extra one.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ Fast I can try in another machine it is just a pain because there is a lot hooked up to the other one.

@ Sicklyboy unfortunately it doesn't have either I thought it had one but it doesn't and I don't have an extra one.

Bummer, because that can rule out a lot of stuff :(

If you're gonna swap between machines, try the easy stuff first. RAM, one stick at a time, CPU if it's the same socket between motherboards, gpu if they're both standalone cards. If that all checks out in the other machine, just plug the motherboard, cpu, and gpu (if applicable) power from your known good PSU to your questionable PC. Or vice versa for either one. SHouldn't have to disconnect -everything- at least.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So it's like a wireless monitor?
I doubt it, you know when you turn your PC off but leave the monitor on, you usually get some floating box saying no signal or the power light goes orange like it's on standby. I think he just means that. He's turning the PC on but nothing is happening on the monitor. It usually happens if there's a hardware fault

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
I doubt it, you know when you turn your PC off but leave the monitor on, you usually get some floating box saying no signal or the power light goes orange like it's on standby. I think he just means that. He's turning the PC on but nothing is happening on the monitor. It usually happens if there's a hardware fault

Ah I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: