Hardware Computer monitor won't wake up from sleep

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is your monitor connected using DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort? I've noticed that some Windows video drivers get really fussy with DisplayPort link negotiations, so switching to a different input may help.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is your monitor connected using DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort? I've noticed that some Windows video drivers get really fussy with DisplayPort link negotiations, so switching to a different input may help.

Nope, only has output for DisplayPort and HDMI, no DVI at all. In my earlier posts, only certain things trigger this, either entering screensaver mode, or monitor standby. Disabling them removes the OS locking up. Something is wrong in the power settings. Using HDMI, and yes, I tried swapping cables when it happened, no dice.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yes, it's the most recent nVidia drivers, installed them about three days ago. But whenever the monitor/system was about to go into screensaver, and after that, monitor standby, that's when it would lock up. Or, once it entered screensaver mode, the OS would completely lock up, forcing me to hard reboot (that can't be good on the hardware when I'm forced to do it over and over). But again I manually turned off the monitor when I left for a few hours, came back, turned it on, OS didn't lock up. So I know the HDDs are not the issue, RAM may be, GPU may be, as something in the power options is preventing the PC from waking up the monitor and locking up. I've found a lot of anecdotal info, but nothing conclusive online, I can't seem to find anything definitive and it's starting to piss me off :unsure: I may be forced to install Windows 10 after all, only prob with that is I'll either have to pay for a key, or activate it via less scrupulous means (and I know a permanent way to do it). *Sigh* I know the GPU driver isn't at fault, because the issue happened on older drivers too, and this began about the end of December 2017, is when this issue cropped up.

Should I just manually shut off my monitor once a day for a few hours and back on, or is that bad? I disabled hybrid sleep as I thought it was causing issues, so I never have it sleep anymore.
Turning your monitor off when it's not in use is a good idea anyway, it saves a little power (very little though) and saves unnecessary wear and tear on the hardware. Although in all likelyhood the monitor will last ages anyway. I always turn mine off when I don't use it, but that's mostly because I access my desktop through Teamviewer and use Steam In-Home Streaming which wakes up the screen.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Turning your monitor off when it's not in use is a good idea anyway, it saves a little power (very little though) and saves unnecessary wear and tear on the hardware. Although in all likelyhood the monitor will last ages anyway. I always turn mine off when I don't use it, but that's mostly because I access my desktop through Teamviewer and use Steam In-Home Streaming which wakes up the screen.

Okay good, so I don't need to use my screensaver or monitor's standby, which seems to eliminate some variables for the cause of the lockups. Again, I know my hard drives to be in good health, as I've run three SMART tests and all pass as OK. RAM could be the culprit, maybe even GPU, it's aggravating all the same. Would it be prudent to reset the power option settings to default?

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Manually shutting off the monitor all the time will eventually break the power switch depending how cheap it is. Happened to me with an Acer a few years back anyway.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Manually shutting off the monitor all the time will eventually break the power switch depending how cheap it is. Happened to me with an Acer a few years back anyway.

Well seeing as I can't use screensavers or monitor standby as it causes the OS to lock up, I don't have any other choice. I doubt using the power button twice per day over the course of months will be that bad. What do you suggest? Something is preventing the OS to properly enter screensaver/standby mode for the monitor, and locking it up, so really, it's either that or keep the monitor on as long as I use the PC, which is 12-13 hours per day.

I can't find the source of this issue, and I'm running out of options.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."