Gaming Computer is wierd

KirbyPink

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, the computer i´m using is wierd.
I can run Dragone Age II on Max graphic Settings and with High Res, no lag and barely any loading screen.
Yet when i run Rift, i can barely run it at low. Well, i can run it. Just that it will shut itself down for no reason.
It happens whenever it wants. No reason what so ever.

Ive played DC Universe Online on Max Settings and Grand Chase on Max in the background. Any problems? Nope!

I tried Run Bulletstorm, and if i try run it for longe.... BAM! Shut down.

I just played Simpson Hit n Run , max settings. No problem.

Included a DXdiag as a attachment for those that understand it.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    34.1 KB · Views: 284

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The fact that it's a HP Pavillion tells me a lot.

First thing's first, are your drivers up to date? Also, what temperatures is it getting before shutting down?

Three things that spring to mind to cause an instant shutdown - emergency shutdown from overheating, power failure, and graphics card shutdown (it normally BSoDs rather than shuts down, but I have seen it cause an instant shutdown if it's a more serious problem).

KirbyPink

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, the graphic drivers are uptade regulary.
If Windows Uptade ain´t telling lies.
unsure.gif

I am unsure, but i don´t think it should get overheated if graphic settings are set to low and then it shuts off.
Like i said, Dragon Age II on Max Settings, high res package on. No problems.
Rift, Low Settings. Random shut down whenever it wants.

BSoDs? What does that mean? *googles* Oh Blue Screen.
No, it just shuts down completly. It´s like power plug is janked.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Instant BSODs also point to bad memory in my book. Rip out modules individually and see if the problem continues to manifest. Switch around slots too as you can have a bad slot (assuming HP didnt solder them onto the mobo)

I'd update the Catalyst drivers just in case. You're pretty close to the current version I think but doesn't hurt to update.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I've actually had a problem with 'shutdown' of games - but ONLY on certain ones and ONLY when I tried certain 'achievements' - In particular 'PORTAL'

The game ran find UNTIL I tried the 'Fall for xxx feet' achievement - then the game either closed up or Locked up... but other 'steam' games (HL2/Counterstrike/TF2) NEVER lockedup/closed

Regardless on how many times I uninstalled /reinstalled it it always happend..... then out of desperation I removed one of my memory sticks & it never happened again. Even swapping the sticks it never happened & I tested both stick using good ol' MEMTEST - came back 'clear'

What I DID find out though (though trial-&-error) is that the fault ONLY occurred IF I stuck the two memory sticks in as 'Dual Channel', but stick them in as 'single channel' & the fault disappeared - weird or what !! (in fact my PC is STILL in single channel' mode even after the 4-5 years I've had it)

The only extra info I found out was that my particular motherboard had a list of 'Recommended Memory' & the ones I had installed were not on the list (they are Kingston sticks I have ATM)

KirbyPink

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
CannonFoddr said:
I've actually had a problem with 'shutdown' of games - but ONLY on certain ones and ONLY when I tried certain 'achievements' - In particular 'PORTAL'

The game ran find UNTIL I tried the 'Fall for xxx feet' achievement - then the game either closed up or Locked up... but other 'steam' games (HL2/Counterstrike/TF2) NEVER lockedup/closed

Regardless on how many times I uninstalled /reinstalled it it always happend..... then out of desperation I removed one of my memory sticks & it never happened again. Even swapping the sticks it never happened & I tested both stick using good ol' MEMTEST - came back 'clear'

What I DID find out though (though trial-&-error) is that the fault ONLY occurred IF I stuck the two memory sticks in as 'Dual Channel', but stick them in as 'single channel' & the fault disappeared - weird or what !! (in fact my PC is STILL in single channel' mode even after the 4-5 years I've had it)

The only extra info I found out was that my particular motherboard had a list of 'Recommended Memory' & the ones I had installed were not on the list (they are Kingston sticks I have ATM)
I don´t quite get it.
Do i just shut down computer and yank out stuff until it stops begging for mercy?
Or is there a bios setup i need to poke on until it fixes itself?

kylehaas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's your PSU wattage?
Is it a cheap stock PSU or have you replaced it with something brand-name?

I used to have this problem with my old DELL, after I replaced the shitty graphics card with something halfway decent.
It would randomly turn off in some games due to a lack of power.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The BIOS isn't going to help you much in this scenario. Assuming it's a memory issue (which seems very likely considering your symptoms) here's how you go about it

1) Turn off your computer
2) Unplug it from the wall
3) Ground yourself (touch the metal casing, etc)
4) Locate where your memory is within your computer
5) Pull out one memory module if possible (I'm going to assume you have more than 1 from the dxdiag)
6) Plug everything back in and reboot
7) Test a known scenario that consistenly fails (In your case you seem to be having issues with RIFT so start there)

Basically repeat the above for each module, and slot until you can find a slot or module that seems to 'fix' the issue. Be systematic by going through each module individually, as well as each slot as well.

Steps 1-3 must be run each time. DO NOT SKIP THOSE STEPS or you will be very very sorry when you fry a module or your computer in general.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kylehaas said:
What's your PSU wattage?
Is it a cheap stock PSU or have you replaced it with something brand-name?

I used to have this problem with my old DELL, after I replaced the shitty graphics card with something halfway decent.
It would randomly turn off in some games due to a lack of power.

Dunno the Radeon 4650 HD isn't a huge power suck. I don't think any of the versions even require you to plug in extra power to it. But that's definitely a possiblity.

KirbyPink

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, the computer will just run the game just fine.
But, then it just shuts off. Black screen. Im guessing it´s the power and not memory issue.

Let´s assume it´s the power for now. If i wanna check the Power Eating Info, where do i check that?
That is, how much power is it eating at the moment? I could run Rift, and check the power eating at same time. And if it increases or decrases it might explain it.
Just a theory. But, i am still wondering why it only crashes on some games, and some it doesn´t. Maybe a DirectX issue?
Compitablity problems? This is Vista after all. *shudders*

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KirbyPink said:
Well, the computer will just run the game just fine.
But, then it just shuts off. Black screen. Im guessing it´s the power and not memory issue.

Let´s assume it´s the power for now. If i wanna check the Power Eating Info, where do i check that?
That is, how much power is it eating at the moment? I could run Rift, and check the power eating at same time. And if it increases or decrases it might explain it.
Just a theory. But, i am still wondering why it only crashes on some games, and some it doesn´t. Maybe a DirectX issue?
Compitablity problems? This is Vista after all. *shudders*

You'd have to swap out a more powerful PSU for the existing one to test that out. I'm going to assume you don't have one 'lying around'.

As I've indicated it's more likely to be a memory issue. Just do as I indicated a few posts up and I'm pretty sure you'll find a bad module or slot.

KirbyPink

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Aight.
*Starts pulling out random things*
Um...what does a memory thing look like again?
Hm, what´s with all these wires? *cuts them all* Waste of space...

Is this it? Big giant board stuck to the side...*rips it out* ...was this important?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Memory cards (or RAM sticks) are just long, thin cards with a series of chips on them arranged in a line on either side... sometimes they have a general heatsink covering them. They'll invariably be located to the right of the CPU on a desktop, usually with a bank of 4 RAM slots. The only reason I didn't mention memory in my previous post is because, as often as memory causes problems for lots of people, I've never actually encountered a memory problem myself. Iono, maybe I just have very good luck in finding RAM.
EDIT: If you only have 2 RAM sticks, the optimal positioning for them is in slots 1 and 3 (or 2 and 4 - no difference) in order to make it "dual channelled". If you only have them in slots 1 and 2, they'll be stuck to "single channelled"... i.e. their effective speed will be half of normal.

The PSU (power supply unit) will be the boxy thing that most of the wires come out of. Either on the side, top or back of it, should be a sticker that tells you the wattage and power ratings for the rails. If it has no such sticker, it's almost certainly a no-name PSU that is liable to unstable 12V rails and puffs of smoke (seriously). From HP, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case.

KirbyPink

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Right, i pulled it open and inside...where 3 sticks. Slot 1 2 and 3 was filled and 4 was empty.Wasn´t sure what to do, so i just left it.Better to be safe and check.
As for the V it says 230V on the back.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
230V means it's rated for European power lines (the UK uses 220V mains whilst France, IIRC, uses 140V mains). It says nothing for how much wattage (measured in Watts or W)it produces for the computer. I'm starting to guess that I'm right in it having no sticker detailing how many Amps go into each rail (normally a 5V rail for USB and other small devices, and a 12V rail for the motherboard and CPU, sometimes with an additional 12V rail dedicated for more powerful graphics cards). Chances are it's a no-name OEM PSU and you really should get it replaced with a branded PSU... not just so that you can be sure it'll always produce a stable supply of power, but also because OEM PSUs are liable to explosions (or at least puffs of black smoke - I've seen it happen).

shadowmanwkp

Your roms are on another rom site
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Defragmentation is not really something that will impact your performance. It means that the files on your hard disk are very far apart from eachother, so the hard disk must spin more times to access a file that wouldn't be fragmented. Even though it will improve your performance somewhat, it will not solve your problem because a fragmented disk will not lead to crashing games (it does impact loading times a bit though)

moodswinger

Trophies
XP
Country
I currently have the same problem, I think too that it is the PSU that's causing this. I have yet to confirm cause I'm still to buy a new PSU(currently using generic one)...though it had me thinking, if I directly plug in my CPU to my wall socket assuming that voltage are compatible(220V) would it make any difference???

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
moodswinger said:
I currently have the same problem, I think too that it is the PSU that's causing this. I have yet to confirm cause I'm still to buy a new PSU(currently using generic one)...though it had me thinking, if I directly plug in my CPU to my wall socket assuming that voltage are compatible(220V) would it make any difference???
WTF !!!
wtf.gif
I HOPE you are kidding
huh.gif

For god sake KirbyPink - DON'T DO THIS !!!!

Everyone know that by plugging your CPU into the mains won't let you actually use it - where do you plug in the Peripherals like the screen and keyboard ???
laugh.gif

moodswinger

Trophies
XP
Country
Actually, I am not. My monitor is currently plugged in my wall socket, not to the PSU. I'm just not sure with the CPU, that's why I'm asking.
mellow.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Plus a lot of the times they just seemed half hearted attempts