Hardware computer ill buy,advices please

dweirdo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Phenom 9500 (Socket AM2+) QuadCore, Life Time Warranty-CPU
GIGABYTE - 3 Years Warranty MA790X-DS4 AM2+, 790X, DDR2 1066, PCI-E, ATI CrossFireX-Mboard
DDR II 800Mhz - Life Time Warranty 2x2GB OCZ Vista Upgrade Copper Mirrored XTC Heatspreader-Memory
Western Digital - 320GB 7200RPM, 16MB, SATA II-hard drive
Sapphire - 3 Years Warranty HD 3870 X2 1GB GDDR3 DX10.1 HDTV 2xDVI PCI-VGA
Media 5.1 (PCI) - 1 Year Warranty-sound card
Optiarc AD-7200S DVD±RW x20, DL x8 Black Sata - 2 Years Warranty-drive

ok guys i need some advices:
which one of what i wrote has some problems or what so ever.
what PSU do i need, how much Wats?
and just comments about what you think ^^

Cletebob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I am concerned, that would be a sweet rig. The only suggestion I would make was go with a different brand Vid card (I got BURNED by Sapphire once upon a time) and I have never heard of that brand of DVD drive, but the specs themselves are sweet.

As for power supply, I would go as high as your budget will allow, so you have room later if you do multiple vid cards, if you aren't doing that already. 800-1000 would be a good range, just get an efficient power supply with multiple +12 V rails and you will be rocking out.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would say that is almost overkill but then it is about as close to future proof as you will get in PC land and AMD/ATI seem to have dragged themselves out of the rut they were in last year for the most part.

"High quality 8-ch ALC889A High Definition audio, featuring 106dB Signal to Noise Ratio and Full Rate Lossless Audio with Blu-ray/ HD DVD playback support."
Why buy a 5.1 sound card when you have a 7.1 one built in? ( http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Mother...?ProductID=2695 )

The HDD may be a bit small but it is a nice one.

DVD drives are pretty much DVD drives regardless and I doubt the hangup will be there that often anyhow.

Sapphire cards: I would also be tempted by another brand but the specs are OK (my misgivings about dx10 aside).

PSU: 600W from a decent brand or do not bother at al, 650 to 700 if you plan on multiple graphics and/or a few more drives at some point.

dweirdo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i see... thank you both, i think ill go on 500gb hdd and are you sure its 7.1 built in iv read it on site but they didnt mention anything about 7.1 , how do u know its 7.1?
about the graphic card, the card is alright but the brand is not as far as i understood right?
will 9800GTX will work fine with amd?

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The 9800GTX is major overkill with that CPU. The Phenoms honestly aren't very good for gaming PCs, with Intels latest being priced the same and performing better.

dweirdo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
hmmm ok and HD 3870 512MB GDDR4 DX10.1 HDTV 2xDVI PCI-E, if ill take two of them on crossfire will it be the same as the graphic card i mentioned in the topic?*its gygabite brand.

EDIT:what is a decent brand for psu?

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dweirdo said:
i see... thank you both, i think ill go on 500gb hdd and are you sure its 7.1 built in iv read it on site but they didnt mention anything about 7.1 , how do u know its 7.1?
about the graphic card, the card is alright but the brand is not as far as i understood right?
will 9800GTX will work fine with amd?

It says 8-channel sound.

I think you could get ram with nicer heat spreaders and lower timings are better too if it doesn't cost too much more.

You could get 8800GT/GTS since they are great performance and aren't too expensive, although I think the 9800GTX will work fine. I don't think Sapphire are a bad brand, some of the best ones would be the likes of Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, XFX, BFG Tech and so on...

dweirdo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
OK thank you all guys
biggrin.gif

EDIT: im still confused :

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Computers run at a certain frequency, ever time there is a pulse something gets done. You can increase said frequency in various ways and so make things faster for the cpu, the memory, the ram, the graphics card...... anything that is timed really assuming your board/bios supports it.
This has the downside of making more heat and eventually requiring more voltage to activate the transistors in time which in turn means more power and more heat.

Faster ram: as well as doing stuff on pulses ram needs to have a delay between writing and accessing. This is known as the latency/timings. A bit old but it works:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1637763,00.asp
As well as the latency you also have clockspeed which is these days 667MHz, 800MHz or 1066MHz as standard (it goes higher and overclocking can change it). Originally it was linked to the CPU but modern computers tend to forgo it

PSU: they convert the mains power to power for your PC. Better PSUs do so more efficiently and more reliably which is why people are suggesting a good one. The more stuff you have in the machine the more power it needs (graphics cards are the biggest hogs: which raises flags if you want to crossfire/SLI them). I have yet to go computer shopping in Lithuania but a quick search (and assuming currency conversion sticks $100 USD is just over 200LTD) would suggest about 200-250 LTL at least for a PSU (probably around 300 to be safe before shipping). It is worth getting a nice one as a bad one can mean instability and worse fried hardware.

And just to clear things up 7.1 vs 8 channel (and the same for 5.1 vs 6 channel and 2.1 vs 3 channel).
there are 7 speakers and one LFE (low frequency aka bass). They mean the same thing (for the most part) but it is ironically done to avoid some confusion: http://www.htexplained.com/abridged/Chap%203.htm

dweirdo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
WoW thank you for your time!
i think ill just spend a bit more money on the psu and ram.. i wont overclock cause iv read it cancels the warranty. so ill go on 160 USD PSU and 3 GB ram And E8400(or the AMD iv written) and i guess 9800GTX(cause youv said saphire su*ks
biggrin.gif
)
by the way if im getting the E8400 and 9800GTX do i need to change the MotherBoard?

And again thank you for your time and patience and for clearing everything up to me
biggrin.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Warranties are more or less wasted paper for me but honour it if you want. Some companies allow a certain amount of overclocking or even overclock as standard (some of the better graphics cards companies do and some sites ship processors with their own warranty).

If you plan on buying a different brand of CPU then yes you will need a new board. PCIe is PCIe (assuming they are both 16x rather than 4x which any modern board should be).

E8400, I might consider the E8200 as they are 2/3 the price when I look and only 340MHz slower (a nominal amount and a lot of the time it will be your graphics card(s) or your hard drive slowing you down anyhow) with the same cache (and if you do overclock in the end they will end up about the same anyway). The board will need to support LGA775 rather than the Socket AM2+ the AMD chips use.

Ram: I would say 2 gigs is all you really need right now so consider waiting for the time you need it or investing the extra in better ram. Then again this seems to be somewhat future proofed so it would not hurt.

slayerspud

Trophies
XP
Country
dweirdo said:
Phenom 9500 (Socket AM2+) QuadCore, Life Time Warranty-CPU Change to intel Q6600/Q6700 (Just had a 50% price drop)
GIGABYTE - 3 Years Warranty MA790X-DS4 AM2+, 790X, DDR2 1066, PCI-E, ATI CrossFireX-Mboard Change to gigabyte P35-DSL
DDR II 800Mhz - Life Time Warranty 2x2GB OCZ Vista Upgrade Copper Mirrored XTC Heatspreader-Memory
Western Digital - 320GB 7200RPM, 16MB, SATA II-hard drive I would recommend a 500GB 32MB cache hdd (they're not very expensive)
Sapphire - 3 Years Warranty HD 3870 X2 1GB GDDR3 DX10.1 HDTV 2xDVI PCI-VGA SLI 8800GT'S will kill this.
Media 5.1 (PCI) - 1 Year Warranty-sound card If you are going to get a soundcard (I wouldn't recommend it most MB comes with very good intergrated sound, get the faytality soundcard, one of the best out
Optiarc AD-7200S DVD±RW x20, DL x8 Black Sata - 2 Years Warranty-drive

ok guys i need some advices:
which one of what i wrote has some problems or what so ever.
what PSU do i need, how much Wats?
and just comments about what you think ^^

Changes I would make for a better Price/Performance Ratio.

dweirdo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
sli 8800 GTS 320 MB or 512MB ?cause 512 are way more expensive about 1.33 more expensive.
i dont think this mobo has a sli option.

Gman 101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dweirdo said:
sli 8800 GTS 320 MB or 512MB ?cause 512 are way more expensive about 1.33 more expensive.
i dont think this mobo has a sli option.

No, this mobo doesn't have SLI. All Intel chipsets support Crossfire but not SLI. Don't bother with SLI. Just stick with the 3870X2 because it's very VERY good. My friend has one and is really happy with it. I'd be really happy too, with ATI's excellent driver support. Nvidia's drivers are horrible (I've got them, drives me crazy).

With the sound card, you shouldn't bother, mobos have very good sound chips in them. And get a better DVD drive, something like a Pioneer or Asus. God knows what this brand is but Pioneer and Asus are top notch ones.

Finally, if you want a power supply, go for a Thermaltake Toughpower 850W, maybe 1000W if you're willing to pay more.

Pay attention to Slayerspud's post 'cos it's definitely worth it.

dweirdo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
9800GTX gygabyte 512 MB ( maybe saphire 3700 X2)
gigabyte P35-DSL
INtel E8200( maybe 8400 or Quad core)
500 gb 32 mb cache
do you really think 850Wat is necessary?
the highest here is ToughPower W0116 750W PFC (24pin) which costs 180$.
and i thought going on thermaltake 550W or 600W silent which costs MUCH LESS.

Gman 101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PLEASE DON'T get the 9800GTX. That is overhyped shit. It uses the same core as the 8800GTS 512MB and the 8800GT, which is the G92 core. The 8800GTS 512MB can sometimes beat the 9800GTX. The 3870X2 pisses all over the 9800GTX and kicks it in the face. And also get the E8400. It's a really good overclocker (my friend got to 4GHz easily without getting unstable).

I wouldn't recommend 600W. A 3870X2 can get power hungry as well as the CPU (if you OC). 850W should be much better (and safer for your parts). I had the 600W and I had problems with only ONE 8800GT.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs