Components used on the Switch (mostly the motherboard and main console)

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by WadsRUs, Dec 2, 2018.

1. pablo67340

pablo67340 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 23, 2019
    Canada
  2. Ace_

Ace_ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Does anyone have a rev 20 motherboard that could take a reading for me? This pad is grounded, I removed the chip and it's still grounded, comparing it to a 01 revision this shouldn't be grounded. I am guessing the 20 and 01 motherboards are very similar and it shouldn't be grounded but would like to make sure before going down the rabbit hole.

The issue with the motherboard is there's no 5v making it to the right joycon connector.

Attached Files:

3. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 19, 2019
    Israel
    Checked on my rev21 and its not ground.
    Looks like its missing something there.

Attached Files:

Ace_ likes this.
  4. Ace_

Ace_ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for checking, yes I removed that component (whatever it is?) to see if it was causing the ground issue and it wasn't.

5. SolidSnakeUk89

SolidSnakeUk89 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Around the world
    I just checked on a HAC-CPU-20 and is not ground
    the little chip looks like a tiny mosfet
    but that seems related to the Backlight not to the joycon connector and it has 5v when the backlight is on otherwise it has 0.02v on the top right 2 pins, is a little mosfet you can see the source drain and gate and it seems connected to the 5v power rail which comes form the main MAX7 chip

I think the joycon connector is on the 1.8v power rail instead, check the little mosfet in the right corner (to the right of the one you are looking at that is shorted.

the 1.8v rail also comes from the same IC MAX7blah blah chip so perhaps if the 5v is shorted, the 1.8 is partially sorted too, check the caps around this chip.. thats where I would start

Ace_ likes this.
  6. Ace_

Ace_ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the reply, I did change the mosfet in the right corner already which is why it's a bit crooked. :) I really need to get a proper microscope, anyway I'll check around the max chips next, the joycon 5v pin is only getting 0.5v.

7. Ace_

Ace_ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Looks like I am onto something, that chip that has a grounded pin also supplies the 5v to the joycon. I cannot find any where that trace / pad goes though, maybe an internal trace and or bga connection. :( Times like this I really wish some schematics had leaked.

8. npavlovici

npavlovici Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 28, 2009
    Romania
    @Ace_

Check if the diode next to fan it's present on your board and if it's shorted to gnd on booth sides ,desolder and maybe your short will be gone, no need to replace.

Last edited by npavlovici, Oct 13, 2019
    Ace_ likes this.
  9. Ace_

Ace_ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the tip I'll check and report back.

10. Ace_

Ace_ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I checked the diode and it was indeed shorted, removing removed the short but 5v still isn't making it to the joycon for some reason. :(

11. Ace_

Ace_ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I fed 5v directly into the pin and nothing blew up (that I saw) and it charged my battery dead joycon but it's still not detected. The only pin that's not working as it should now is pin 8 (serial data), pin 5 (inverted serial data) is working. So I need to trace out pin 8 and try and figure out where it goes next.

Mardare likes this.
  12. Mardare

Mardare Member

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2017
    Romania
    Last edited by Mardare, Oct 12, 2019
  13. Deant

Deant Member

Newcomer
    Oct 15, 2019
    Australia
    Anyone know if or where you can get a replacement right joy connector from. Brought a switch and they have melted it replace battery if. Thanks in advance

14. Pintglass

Pintglass GBAtemp Regular

Jan 28, 2019
    United Kingdom
    SolidSnakeUk89, FXDX and Deant like this.
  15. DrunkenMonk

DrunkenMonk GBAtemp Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Can anyone ID This?
    upload_2019-11-4_15-2-42.

I've got a switch where a customer attempted to replace the usb-C port and has failed spectacularly, removed the fuse and damaged this little IC - I've replaced the usb port and the device now just enters RCM mode when powered, I'm assuming it's due to this IC being damaged as I can't find any shorts on the other typical components

Definitely looks like it's broken :

[​IMG]

16. Pintglass

Jan 28, 2019
    United Kingdom
    DrunkenMonk likes this.
  17. V3N0MBR

V3N0MBR Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2016
    Brazil
    My Switch SD Card wont read anymore, if its cold, read. But with 30 seconds switch is on, the SD Card cant read. I think could be a fault resistor, does anyone can give me the SD Card resistors values?

18. MrGolfMK4

MrGolfMK4 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2019
    Germany
    First of all, thanks for this awesome thread, it really helped me fixing my last switch.

Now i'm having another switch lying around which doesn't charge & power on.
    Checked the usual suspects, but they all seem to be okay (haven't been able to check the charging current tho).
    Upon closer inspection i found out that one of the components next to the screen (?) connector is shorted to ground on both sides.

Does anyone know what kind of component (perhaps even with the correct values) this said component is?

Any help would be highly appreciated :)

Attached Files:

19. Pintglass

Jan 28, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Last edited by Pintglass, Nov 8, 2019
  20. pjhcast

pjhcast Member

Newcomer
    Oct 21, 2019
    Korea, South
    Hi friend joycon 5v mosfet Can you tell me the part number of the chip?

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted