Hardware Component vs Composite (NOT 480p)

grante

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 32" CRT standard definition TV, which accepts both composite and 480i component input.

It does NOT support 480p.

Would I see any real difference in quality using the component instead of composite?

My biggest problem with the picture quality is that the screen flickers horribly on text consoles...the text is always moving back and forth between pixels. Would component help?

maduin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it won't work if your TV doesn't support 480i even if it has component inputs. I tried this on one my TVs that had component input but only SDTV (as opposed to EDTV/480p), and the screen came up all garbled. Certain DVD players use component for better picture quality on 480i tvs.

But who knows, maybe it was just my TV and I had the setting wrongs, but from my experience, if you have component cables plugged into your Wii at start up, it will automatically boot into 480p, which is unreadable on 480i only tv's.

lll

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The Wii will by default stay in 480i/576i mode on component cables unless you've set it to 480p before. If it boots in 480p and you need 480i it's easy to just plug in the composite cable, go to the settings menu, set it to 480i (NTSC region consoles) or 576i (PAL region consoles) and save settings - it should be interlaced over component then.

Whether it's worth it...well, I think so. S-Video is a noticeable improvement over composite to my eye, and 480i component is a bit of an improvement over that. It's not an incredible amount of difference but it's probably worth spending ten bucks on a third-party component cable.

grante

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maduin said:
it won't work if your TV doesn't support 480i even if it has component inputs. I tried this on one my TVs that had component input but only SDTV (as opposed to EDTV/480p), and the screen came up all garbled. Certain DVD players use component for better picture quality on 480i tvs.

But who knows, maybe it was just my TV and I had the setting wrongs, but from my experience, if you have component cables plugged into your Wii at start up, it will automatically boot into 480p, which is unreadable on 480i only tv's.

According to the manual for my TV, the component inputs will take 480i but not 480p.

Commadore64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
According to the manual for my TV, the component inputs will take 480i but not 480p.

Save money - probably no difference or something that is hardly noticeably... get S-VIDEO..that would be my vote

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: