Component output fuzzy

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by alexwryt, Sep 7, 2009.

Sep 7, 2009

Component output fuzzy by alexwryt at 3:29 PM (1,153 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. alexwryt
    OP

Newcomer alexwryt Member

United States
    I had been using component cables with no problem for a while, but then I moved the Wii to a different TV that only had composite inputs so I switched to those. Then when I brought the Wii back home and hooked it back to my TV with the component cables, the picture became very fuzzy. I then performed the following troubleshooting steps:

1) hooked up Wii with composite cables, picture looked fine
    2) got a new component cable, the picture was still fuzzy so the cable is not the problem
    3) hooked up a 360 to the TV via component and it was okay, so the TV is not the problem

The thing that confuses me is, why does a composite cable work okay when it uses the same connector? Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

2. ozguy

Member ozguy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Check your screen settings in the wii configuration.
    Make sure the resolution is set to 480p and the widescreen setting is on 16:9 (assuming you have a widescreen TV)

3. alexwryt
    OP

Newcomer alexwryt Member

United States
    Thanks but it wasn't that [​IMG]

4. godsakes

Member godsakes GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    could be an issue with poor quality cables - the higher the output (say 480p vs 480i) the more obvious imperfections show up in the screen

i had a poor quality component cable switcher which degraded the signal quality if the inputs, you could not tell on 480i/576i but the moment you went to 480p there was obivous ghosting and 720p was like watching TV through beer bottles

5. Vattu

Member Vattu GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    for god's sake, godsakes. The cables work, as told in the first post. Have you ever read it?

alexwryt, try resetting the nintendo settings (if there is such an option) with composite. Turn off the wii, change to your component cables and start it. I hope it will work!