Component or RGB cable?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Digeman, Dec 2, 2006.

Dec 2, 2006

Component or RGB cable? by Digeman at 8:33 PM (1,605 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. Digeman
    OP

Member Digeman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
    Hey guys. Well the wii's gonna be out in just a few days and i was thinking about buying one of them cables everyone's been talking about since the difference seems to be rather huge [​IMG] Well anyways i read on some topic before that it isn't much use if your tv can't handle the cable and i was wondering how you know it can handle the RGB or Component cable? Are there any more cables other than those two?? Is it worth buying anything that is worse than the component cable? Any help is apreciated! [​IMG]

2. Pado

Member Pado GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
  3. Digeman
    OP

Member Digeman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
    Thanks for the link. But how do i know what my tv supports? [​IMG]

4. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    Either look on the back or look in the manual.
    Very simply:
    If you have 3 peg sockets (red, blue, green) you have component, usually with 2 more (red and white)
    if you have 3 peg sockets (yellow, white, red) you have composite, sometime just yellow and white becuase its a mono tv.
    if you have a rectangular(ish) shape socket you have SCART, you may have to check your manual if it doesn't say RGB.
    and lastly, if you have a circular socket that has pin inputs inside you have s-video, usually with 2 peg sockets (white and red).

5. Melchizedek

Member Melchizedek GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Yes, but apparently, even if you have component plugs, it doesn't necessarily mean your TV supports 480p...

6. legendofphil

United Kingdom
    Even if the TV doesn't support 480p its still worth buying the cables over RGB SCART.

7. Bowser128

Member Bowser128 King Koopa

United Kingdom
    Yes, but that's VERY rare outside of North America.

8. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    On SDTV resolutions YUV Component and RGB SCART have the same quality basically, which to choose depends on
    a) which piece of equipment has the better converter (shouldn't be much of a difference)
    and
    b) if you want upgradability to ED/HDTV later (major factor if you consider getting an Ed or HD set, medium if you don't.)
    c) If your TV supports it (most important factor)

9. Paralel

Newcomer Paralel Advanced Member

United States
    480P/60 & 576P/50 are technically considered EDTV resolutions, not SDTV resolutions. However in Australia 576P/50 is considered HDTV.

480i/60, 576i/50, 480P/24/30, & 576P/25 are considered the upper limits of SDTV resolutions.

10. Vater Unser

Member Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    does anyone know if the american Wii supports RGB?
    if not, I'm seriously f*cked, because then I'll only be able to play Wii games in black/white [​IMG] ...
    my TV displays NTSC only in black/white, so I'll have to use an RGB cable to play in full color...but although the european GameCube supported RGB, the american one didn't, so I'm concerned that the american Wii won't support RGB either...

11. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I have a feeling that the cables for the Wii will not be region locked, unlike the software. You might have to buy the SCART cable from amazon.co.uk though, since I've never seen a TV in the US with an SCART input. Won't the component inputs be YPbPr anyway, so that's not region specific, is it? Or doesn't your TV have component input?

What the heck kind of TV doesn't support color for NTSC? Did you import your TV from the UK or something?

12. legendofphil

United Kingdom
    PAL is used through out Europe (and many other areas aswell) not just the UK.
    Although the cable will be region free, there is a strong possiblity that NTSC (US and JPN) won't output an RGB compatible signal.
    With the European launch so close there is small posiblity that it will.
    Else you can find an NTSC->PAL convertor but these usually work in composite only.

13. Pado

Member Pado GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    cables are not region specific [​IMG] ... it all depends on the machine [​IMG] and the TV

Vater Unser: lol .. how old is your TV .... even my 15 year old PAL Sony TV (retired [​IMG]) had no problem displaying my NTSC N64 or NTSC SNES in color with composite ...

14. Paralel

Newcomer Paralel Advanced Member

United States
    Yep, as this image shows, the world is really split between three different (and incompatible) analogue standards, although most SECAM countries support PAL to some extent as well. I guess the penguins don't watch any TV since antarctic doesn't seem to have a standard:

[​IMG]

15. lookout

Member lookout GBAtemp Board Room

United Kingdom
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

==================================== Wii Max 480p =====================================================

16. Qpido

Member Qpido Call me Q.

Netherlands
    @ Lookout:

Isn't that Creo DVI something u can hook up to your PC screen?

Q~

17. lookout

Member lookout GBAtemp Board Room

United Kingdom
    It for boths PC Monitors and LCD TV or Plasma TV [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plasma TV
    [​IMG]

yes ~ you can hook up your PC to Plasma TV.

I wonder if there a Wii DVI cable? [​IMG]

18. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    Wii will not have a DVI cable as DVI is a digital interface. The Wii can only output in analog interfaces...hence composite and component connections only.

19. Vater Unser

Member Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    many european TVs don't support NTSC properly...
    at least we have one TV that supports NTSC, but it's in the living room, and I won't be able to play Wii in the living room all the time [​IMG]

I already asked the Nintendo support if NTSC Wiis support RGB cables, but they didn't answer my mail...
    I guess I'll have to buy a NTSC->PAL converter, then, but I've been told they have a shitty quality...so it'd look WORSE than with a composite cable :'(

btw, the american and japanese N64 supported RGB, so there is a chance the american Wii will support RGB, too...