Completely theoretical idea

BlackZero500

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey guys, i had an ider the other Day. Its just theoretical because the cost/use effectiveness is way off but its an interesting concept i think.

A universal console combiner. I thought of it like that. A machine in wich you can mount all your consoles and play them with one Controller and need only one powe plug and hdmi Slot. Sounds impossible? Then read along and See if it really is.

I will begin withthe principles:
You buy a console and mount it into the ucc(universal console combiner).
Inside is a hdmi switch with sufficent Slots and a sufficent amount of ac Sockets for the consoles. So far so good but nothing special. Lets add a Bit of "magic".
A small PC. Maybe a rhaspberry pi or something like that with a Programm to controll all consoles. This could work like that: You take the boards of the controller for your consoles and solder them so that you can give the input (Button presses etc.) per USB or something thats connected to the PC. Now you have to connect the contacts of the Power puttons and eject Buttons of the consoles to a i/o board connected to the PC. Sounds compicated and probably is but has to be done only once per console.
It works like that:
You Power up the ucc and get a gui on the screen where you can choose your console. You pick one and that one Starts, activating that hdmi Slot on the switch. Now your Controller input will be translated to the original Controller and can be used to play. The controller of course must be of an universal Design to be compatible. So if you shut down a console the gui will Show again.

Now the hardest and possibly impossible Part. The drives. I thought that it should be theoretically possible to wire the Output of a good blueraydrive to the reading contacts of the consoledrives. Either that or building an automatic disc Jockey that Puts the disc into the correct console.

Well its a Bit confusing perhaps and like i said pure theory, but what Do you think?

BlackZero500

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I understand that. Its a good Argument, but im sure there are others like me that would relish at the thought to be able to hide nearly all cables and only need to have one universal Controller.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If the controller was designed to accommodate all the standard controller forms and only those I could see something useful becoming of it. Start adding wheels, roller balls, flight stick style controls and that gets harder. For seeing what happens when it gets silly have a browse through some of the "universal" mame cabinet builds with 30 buttons, sticks and roller balls all in one panel. Not sure what the max a multitap game got to and if you include LAN play games (double dash over LAN, you know you want that) so you might need multiples of some of these.

A universal flash cart/drive emulator would be interesting to try, however I would also have to worry about latency (a possibly 900mm run of suspectly shielded cable poses problems for the sorts of things we see in consoles, see also why people blow on cartridges for a tiny bit of invisible gunk), and possibly extra power but that should not be too troubling*.

*some are floating, some are ground referenced, some like the amiga have all sorts of internal oddities.

Power would be fun. The most amusing to me would be a full on servo based + disc/cart switcher + lockout so you don't accidentally get some cart tilting going on (I reckon it is doable these days) but a multiplexed array of relays wired to the internals would be a better bet. Alternatively many machines could probably have a power switch soldered closed* and you could then use a far more easy to find controllable extension strip.
*for momentary you could make a pulse once when you see power setup easily enough.

HDMI. So you want to make a HDMI conversion box then. The latency of some of these does seem to get in the way but you can get it quite low.

Such a thing could have legs for a museum piece but for the kind of money most game playing types seem to be willing to throw down I am not seeing it. An emulator with a PC though is going to be superior in almost all cases, and for those edge cases (PS1 emulation is pretty much there now but N64 is not, PS2 might be a stretch and original xbox is right out) you can probably reduce it to a far more manageable video input setup.

BlackZero500

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Right i really forgot how odd some circuits were Made.

About the controller, i thought about consoles so no hotas or rollerball. But motion controlls would be possible like wii or something.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.