Completely shut off Wii U's GHamepad for storage?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Futurdreamz, May 13, 2017.

1. Futurdreamz
    OP

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    I'm moving end of this month, and once I finish defeating ganon I'm going to box up my Wii U and it's 20 different controllers (wiimotes, gamecube controllers, pro controllers, nunchuchs, classic controllers, sensor bar, powered hards drive, gamepad and charger, etc) and addons and crap. But The gamepad is ALWAYS listening for the Wii u, and drains it's battery fairly quickly if it can't find it. I think that's not very good for the batterry, so iw ant to completely shut it off. is there a way to do that, or should i just unplug the batterry?

2. pelago

pelago Member

Feb 20, 2006
    Just unplug the battery.

3. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Yep. I only plug in the gamepad battery when I'm playing or need to charge. I even stopped bothering to put the battery cover on to make it easier to disconnect (what kind of idiot designs a battery cover that requires a screwdriver to open???)

I only do this to the gamepad. The Wii U pro controller doesn't seem to need such extremes, though you certainly could do the same thing. Wii remotes I use rechargeable Energizers, so I just keep extras in the charger and really have no concerns at all. If you use regular alkalines, you might want to take those out, in case boxed up something accidentally pushes a button and makes it turn on.

Last edited by tbb043, May 13, 2017
  4. Futurdreamz
    OP

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    Thanks, that's what i ended up doing. I left all the AA batteries in the wiimotes and left the pro controllers, but they don't constantly look for the Wii u anyways so the occasional bump will be nothing.