Completed Shovel Knight. What other games is like it?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Harsky, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    I wasn't a big fan of the whole, "indie retro pixel games" because I assumed they were just using nostalgia graphics to hide a bland gameplay but I downloaded Shovel Knight a few days ago to try out a wireless receiver that allows 360 controllers to play on PC. What initially began as a one hour play turned into a several day experience where it was constant, "just one more go" after failing for the nth amount of time. Now that I beat the boss and started on the Plague Knight story, I realise, I want more.

Before Shovel Knight, I tried out the Shantae Risky's Revenge (with keyboard which is NOT fun) and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse on Wii U but with so many indie games released, I have no idea which is fun and which is just using the pixel graphics as a novelty.

2. Chary

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Undertale is a retro looking game, kind of in the style of Earthbound. It's definitely worth checking out imo. Rogue Legacy is also pretty fun. Freedom Planet is a platformer akin to Sonic the Hedgehog, has that pixel look to it, but looks beautiful.

3. Walker D

Walker D I have a hat

Nov 15, 2009
    Brazil
    My home
    If what you're looking for are some good platformers, then here are some (that you can probably find on Steam):

NecroDancer
    Maldita Castilla (free)
    Freedom Planet
    Kero Blaster
    Castle in the Darkness
    Ori and the Blind Forest
    DustForce

4. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    As far as retro-ish looking (but good) platform games:
    Thomas was alone
    Giana Sisters: twisted dreams (okay, not exactly retro-ish...but certainly good)
    Cave story
    VVVVV
    Fez
    Guacamelee (note: this is more of a brawler than a platformer)
    Risk of rain
    Unepic

There's something to be said for DLC quest as well, but it's more of a joke than a real game.

Other great retro-ish games:
    Eldritch: survival horror with looks of wolfenstein 3D
    Hero siege: isometric perspective...but I don't think this'd work with any other graphic style
    robot Roller-derby disco dodgeball: it looks like a UT2004-mod (or even a UT99), but is pretty addictive if you try it
    One finger death-punch: not technically a platformer, not exactly pixel art and not really a rhythm game...but I'll mention it anyway because of how great it is at what it does