XP
Country
United States
Game Name: Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 1st Love Plus

Translation Project Page:
http://sites.google.com/site/tokimemogs1/

2010071601.png
2010071602.png

Note: This is a dating simulation/adventure game for girls, which means you try to get a boyfriend in this game. It is not Love Plus or the regular Tokimeki Memorial that you try to get girlfriends, so please don't be confused.

The project is now finished. Everything is fully translated (to English) except a few buttons that are difficult to edit. (They are very obvious anyway. You don't need to know Japanese to understand them.)

Final Patch Released:
Final Patch: 2010/12/02
Download Here

Read Patching Tutorial and Mini-FAQs if you don't know how to use patch.

Credits:
http://sites.google.com/site/tokimemogs1/credits

Technical Stuff (Pointers/etc.)
http://sites.google.com/site/tokimemogs1/technical-stuff

For more info and updates, please check the website:
http://sites.google.com/site/tokimemogs1/

(Older post inside spoiler tag.)
Well, this is my first rom hacking project ever, so I don't know if I can manage it well. Anyway, if there aren't enough translators, I might try to finish the scripts for 1-2 specific guys (Most likely Hazuki and Himuro because I love them a bit more than the other guys... LOL). So at least if you play those guys' courses, the scripts will be in English.

Update after the first test patch.

Tokimemo1Test-20100123.patch
(Patch not yet released to public, only beta testers)

Specific Details in spoiler tag.
Description: Beta test patch
Released Date: 2010-01-23

Packing/Unpacking Program: CrystalTile2 version 2009.03.10
Patch Created with: Xdelta_GUI

Details:
- Some script files translated
- Most system files translated
- All fashion items translated
- All calendar items translated
- Used original compressed Arm9.bin

Testers:

* 5hours
* Aeladya
* Alice
* Capi
* Jia
* jjjewel
* Maverynthia
* miruki
* orangedoll

Flashcart Test Results: (No. of tester, Card / Version or Firmware)

Worked on

* 1 Acekard 2i/AKAIO 1.5.1
* 1 m3 real/latest Sakura
* 1 R4/Version 2
* 1 R4/1.17a12
* 1 R4/2nd gen.
* 1 R4III/ version 3.10
* 1 M3i/M3 Sakura
* 1 Supercard DS One/Moonshell 1.41 Supercard 3.14, Realtime Save 1.2

Did not work on

* 1 R4i

Emulator Test Results:
Worked on

* 1 No$gba 2.6a+myZoom
* 2 DeSmuME.0.9.4-win32

-----------------------------------

Progress:
Feb 04 2010
- Have not finished testing the Arm9.bin compression yet.
- Found out that gbalzss caused some problems with compressed files, especially a large file like Schedata.dat. Must use Nintenlord's Compression program instead.
- Changed the Open Translation format in Google Docs. Hopefully the new format will be easier for both translators and editors to follow than the old one.

Jan 26 2010
Next Steps:

- Release the kana->English patch. (Just change the Kana font to English, not thing much.)
- Release the test patch with Arm9.bin decompressed. (Most likely will not work on flashcart, but just to check.)
(These 2 patches will be optional. If any testers feel interested, you can try them. Both patches are ready, I'll email/PM the testers the download links once I finished updating my contact list.)

- Try changing the font. Noitora
wub.gif
will help with the font change. We will have a prettier font after he's done.

- Deal with Arm9.bin's compression. (I've tried so many things but still nothing worked yet. Will try to get some helps around here later.)

So the next main patch release will be after the font change and after I can fix arm9.bin's compression. (Can't say when, but I'd expect within a few weeks.)

------------------------------------

What the testers can do for now.

- Note any errors, misspellings, grammatical errors, etc., so they can be fixed in the next patch release.

- Play the game and save right before various important events, ex. Sports day, Exam, Valentine's day, your birthday, field trip, etc. Just save in different slots, so in case we need to check the scripts for some specific events, you can just load your save file.

-------------------------------------

By the way, if there's anyone with R4i flashcart that is willing to test the patch, please contact me. I want to confirm that the patch really doesn't work on R4i. Thank you.

-------------------------------------
Current progress: Everything is done. Now editing scripts for smoother translation and checking for missing bugs.

Patch Releases:
Latest Patch: 2010/11/09 (Fully translated scripts)
https://sites.google.com/site/tokimemogs1/release-v-0-9-2
Read Patching Tutorial and Mini-FAQs if you don't know how to use patch.

Release Note:
- Fixed problem with Aoki's ending.
- Other minor changes. (Names, button translations, etc.)

There shouldn't be any Japanese text left in the game, unless we missed something. If you find any untranslated text, please submit the report via our homepage or post your comment here if you're GBATemp forum's member.

We don't plan to change anything besides fixing spellings or grammar errors for the next patch (which should be the final patch). If you have any suggestion for anything in the game, please feel free to let us know. Otherwise, everything in the final patch will be pretty much the same as this current patch.

Regarding the flashcarts, this patch version should be very close to the final version. If this patch doesn't work on your cart, it's very likely that the final patch won't work on your cart either. (We totally have no idea why it works on some carts but not on the others. If you have any info on how we could modify the patch to make the game work on your carts, please share with us.)

Aeladya

*mistressOFtheCLOW
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it says on the site that you need editors and testers. Do we need any programming knowledge to do any editing? I don't know Japanese, but I did get excellent grades in English. I can test though, I have no life for now
tongue.gif

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just a heads up... if you have this open to the public to edit... make sure you have a way of doing daily backups because some people like to vandalize and do stupid stuff.
Back when the Ragnarok DS Translation was going on, we used Google docs spreadsheet to translate and it worked fairly well.

Good luck to you!

jjjewel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aeladya said:
So it says on the site that you need editors and testers. Do we need any programming knowledge to do any editing? I don't know Japanese, but I did get excellent grades in English. I can test though, I have no life for now
tongue.gif
Aeladya, you don't need to know programming to be an editor/tester. I'll see if I can release a beta patch or something that will let you test play the game and report if there's anything wrong or any misspellings, etc.
So if anyone want to be testers, please get your ROM ready. (The patch will work with a clean ROM which is 256 MB in size.
happy.gif
") If everything works fine, I'll release a test patch before the end of Jan.

twiztidsinz said:
Just a heads up... if you have this open to the public to edit... make sure you have a way of doing daily backups because some people like to vandalize and do stupid stuff.
Back when the Ragnarok DS Translation was going on, we used Google docs spreadsheet to translate and it worked fairly well.

Good luck to you!
twiztidsinz, thank you again. (Can't thank you enough for guiding me with the graphic stuff.
happy.gif
) Okay, I'll find some solutions for daily backups.

QUOTE(IchigoUchiha13 @ Jan 13 2010, 10:48 PM)
Wait so This is Love Plus or Another game like Love Plus? it says Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 1st Love Plus.
IchigoUchiha13, this is not Love Plus. It's just a game made by the same company as Love Plus (Konami). And mainly in this game, you go for guys not for girls.
happy.gif

jjjewel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
miruki said:
JJ, I'll probably have those scripts ready for you in a few days.
smile.gif

Great.
wub.gif

We started to have some helps with the open translation in Google Docs. Yay! (Not to mention that the translation quality is very good too.)
This project seems to go pretty slow but I think it's good because I'm so new to this. I might not be able to handle it if the project progresses too fast. (What an optimist.
happy.gif
)

miruki

Trophies
Website
geekouts.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
jjjewel said:
miruki said:
JJ, I'll probably have those scripts ready for you in a few days.
smile.gif

Great.
wub.gif

We started to have some helps with the open translation in Google Docs. Yay! (Not to mention that the translation quality is very good too.)
This project seems to go pretty slow but I think it's good because I'm so new to this. I might not be able to handle it if the project progresses too fast. (What an optimist.
happy.gif
)
It's normal for a translation of that size to progress slowly.. XD But I'm still amazed at how far you got by yourself...
smile.gif
hopefully, now that more people are helping out the pace will speed up a bit tho...
biggrin.gif

About a patch before everything is complete... I think you shouldn't release one until year 1 is 100% translated, then a second one for year 2 and the final patch with year 3. Interface-wise the game is very playable even without anything translated, so I don't think a menu patch is necessary, but that's just my opinion on it.
smile.gif

But maybe concentrating on translating the year 1 events first isn't that bad of an idea. Anyways, I'll ask around for some other translators.
smile.gif

5hours

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice to see someone picking this up. I'll see what I can contribute, but like miruki already said, you did amazingly a lot on your own! I'll see if I can find some people who also would be willing to help with this!
smile.gif

jjjewel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
miruki said:
About a patch before everything is complete... I think you shouldn't release one until year 1 is 100% translated, then a second one for year 2 and the final patch with year 3. Interface-wise the game is very playable even without anything translated, so I don't think a menu patch is necessary, but that's just my opinion on it.
smile.gif

But maybe concentrating on translating the year 1 events first isn't that bad of an idea. Anyways, I'll ask around for some other translators.
smile.gif
There are only a few main events that have different scripts for different school years. (Field trip in second year and some culture festival events that you do different things each year.) Other than that, all scripts are the same no matter which year you are. So a goal for 100% first year translation is not quite applicable for this game. It's more of event related. Like right now, we got most of the first meeting and dating events translated. So as long as the players don't apply for a job or get in a club, they can play until 3rd year with most scripts in English. But if they apply for a job or a club, every job and club related events will still be in Japanese because we haven't translated the scripts yet.

Oh, and when I said translation patch, I meant the test patch for testers and editors not the one to release to public. It'll be a long way until the real public release.
happy.gif

miruki

Trophies
Website
geekouts.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
jjjewel said:
There are only a few main events that have different scripts for different school years. (Field trip in second year and some culture festival events that you do different things each year.) Other than that, all scripts are the same no matter which year you are. So a goal for 100% first year translation is not quite applicable for this game. It's more of event related. Like right now, we got most of the first meeting and dating events translated. So as long as the players don't apply for a job or get in a club, they can play until 3rd year with most scripts in English. But if they apply for a job or a club, every job and club related events will still be in Japanese because we haven't translated the scripts yet.

Oh, and when I said translation patch, I meant the test patch for testers and editors not the one to release to public. It'll be a long way until the real public release.
happy.gif
Meh, I already guessed so.. XD but yeah, I would then suggest not releasing a patch until further progress then... ppl will just start whining about wanting more otherwise. ;>

Yay for changing the hiragana to English reading! I had just discussed with Jei what kind of 3 letter name I could chose, hahahaha... XD

Jei

Translator and romhacker wannabe
Trophies
Website
space.offgamers.com
XP
Country
Brazil
What kind of notes do we need to take when playtesting the translation? Is it only the possible typos or do you want to make notes about untranslated parts (for said events only) that were left between?

Also, jjjewel, can I kindly ask for a favor? When the translation is done (or anytime you'd like to), could you borrow me the tools used for TokiMemo so I could translate the game to portuguese (my native language)?

jjjewel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jei said:
What kind of notes do we need to take when playtesting the translation? Is it only the possible typos or do you want to make notes about untranslated parts (for said events only) that were left between?

Also, jjjewel, can I kindly ask for a favor? When the translation is done (or anytime you'd like to), could you borrow me the tools used for TokiMemo so I could translate the game to portuguese (my native language)?

For the editing part, I'm still thinking how it should be done. Will let you and other editors/testers know later. We probably won't worry about untranslated parts for a while. (You will surely encounter untranslated script here and there. I'll write a page about restrictions in the game for the editors/testers too. So they know what can be changed and what can't.)

For the program, I'm willing to share it with you but you probably need to tweak many things to make it work properly. (You will need to change a lot of things in the source code to make it work, I guess.) Anyway, I can try to make it more user-friendly later. (I just bought a few programming books a few months ago, and I learned to write scripts from them. So be prepared for very newbie coding practices. You'll probably see a lot of 4-5 nested loops or some redundant functions/subs, etc.
tongue.gif
) By the way, I'm using Visual Basic Express (the free version) for programming.

5hours

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you guys still in need of some editors/qcers? I would be more than happy to help and later on, test.

5hours

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hope you don't mind, but I announced the open translation in several relevant clubs/communities at MAL (MyAnimeList), which definitely houses people who are fluent in Japanese, and hopefully are willing to contribute if they are interested!

jjjewel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
5hours said:
Are you guys still in need of some editors/qcers? I would be more than happy to help and later on, test.

Sure. I'll add you in my editors list then. Actually, I don't know how many editors we should have for a project. Anyway, once the first test patch is released, may be we will get some idea.

By the way, I know very well that I'm not a good organizer. So please don't feel bad if my update is too slow or if it takes me a while to contact you back, etc. (I still have a few mails from people who are interested in this project that I haven't replied. I'll reply to you soon if you see this post.
happy.gif
)

5hours, that banner looks nice.
biggrin.gif
Thanks for announcing this project. (As I mentioned before, I'm such a bad organizer and I'm not very good at communicating either. T T)

Oh, and if anyone interested in helping with the translation but is afraid that your Japanese is not good enough. You can take a look at the files in the Open Translation. There are some that are quite easy too. (My Japanese isn't very good either. Not to mention that English isn't my native language. So if i can translate it, you probably can do it better.
tongue.gif
)

jjjewel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
orangedoll said:
I'd like to be a beta tester if you don't mind : ) I'll update you regularly for misspells and such : )

Okay, I'll PM you when the test patch's ready.
happy.gif

I'll probably need to know the testers' flashcard or whatever you use to test the patched rom later too. Just want to check whether there's any problem with some specific cards.

5hours

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, sorry to bother again, but could I be included as a tester too?
smile.gif

I will test it on my R4ds then.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: