ROM Hack Complete Noob trying to use Homebrew; need assistance

InvaderNoodle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello. I am completely noobish and know absolutely zilch about how the homebrew works on 3DS. I had previous threads here asking about my broken 3DS XL and how to recover my MHG saves. Many of you suggested that I simply homebrew a new system and use save editors to recreate (as closely as possible) my MHG save. This is now where I am stuck.

I am trying to mod an N3DS XL Firmware Version 11.6.0-39U

I have followed THIS GUIDE as closely as I could manage with my feeble brain. I have put the required files into my microSD and injected the appropriate files into my OoT cart. I get as far as actually loading the homebrew in the game (woohoo) but I get the following screen upon launching homebrew: (I would upload a photo but my camera cannot capture the text clearly)

*hax 2.9 alpha
2017-08-19 15:05:56
smealum.github.io/hinjhax2/

failed to locate takeover object :<
So when this text appears I try to continue to follow the instructions from the guide I linked above by popping out my OoT cart and popping in my MHG cart. But when I remove my OoT cart the 3DS just gives me the "game card was removed" screen and seems to force-quit the homebrew. So I think I either stupidly missed a step, or a step was missed in the guide, and I don't really know which is the culprit. I've looked up the "failed to locate takeover object" error online and a whole bunch of people report renaming a file fixing it. But I'm not even sure I have the file and what to rename it. So now I am going to upload screenshots of my SD card directory so if I have missed a vital folder or file in my setup process somebody can point it out for me. If you need additional screenshots to help identify my stupid mistake please let me know.

root.jpg

3ds.jpg

oot powersave.jpg

My thanks to anyone who can help me sort this out. I've used save editors to mod files on Xbox 360 but that was nothing like this. This commands greater know-how than I possess.

Last edited by InvaderNoodle,

Natsuru

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's been such a long time since I used the "classic" homebrew launcher with hax payload I don't remember but from what I can see you don't have the ropbin payload or otherapp payload in the root of the SD card.

Looks like you need the other app payload. Try getting it from here and try again.
https://smealum.github.io/3ds/
Name it "otherapp.bin"

Last edited by Natsuru,

InvaderNoodle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ah so the guide failed to mention that I needed to save the robpin. In fact. it explicitly says to not save it, just keep open for reference. That may make a difference. So I could use either the robpin or otherapp with interchangeable results? Or if I used the robpin to locate the appropriate OoT save, then should I ensure it is the robpin payload I save on my SD? Also, it needs to be the root specifically, not in the 3ds folder, just confirming?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It's been such a long time since I used the "classic" homebrew launcher with hax payload I don't remember but from what I can see you don't have the ropbin payload or otherapp payload in the root of the SD card.

Looks like you need the other app payload. Try getting it from here and try again.
https://smealum.github.io/3ds/
Name it "otherapp.bin"

Aight I added the otherapp.bin file and put it in my root directory. I reloaded OoT and went into my homebrew but still received the exact same "failed to locate takeover object :<" message.
updated root.jpg

Last edited by InvaderNoodle,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
ah so the guide failed to mention that I needed to save the robpin. In fact. it explicitly says to not save it, just keep open for reference. That may make a difference. So I could use either the robpin or otherapp with interchangeable results? Or if I used the robpin to locate the appropriate OoT save, then should I ensure it is the robpin payload I save on my SD? Also, it needs to be the root specifically, not in the 3ds folder, just confirming?

Aight I added the otherapp.bin file and put it in my root directory. I reloaded OoT and went into my homebrew but still received the exact same "failed to locate takeover object :<" message.
I think oot3dhax already includes the payload in the hacked save, so you don't have to download it separately.
I'm not sure why it's not working for you though, as I've never seen that error message.

Natsuru

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just asking, but how did you determine what power save file to use?

NVM, looks like the one you used if for 11.6.0-39U.

I never had luck with OOT3Dhax, cubic ninja all the way.
Also you are connected to wifi?

Last edited by Natsuru,
D

Deleted User

I thought softmodding an 3DS with 11.6 Firmware is only possible with ntrboot and compatible Flashcard?

InvaderNoodle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I thought softmodding an 3DS with 11.6 Firmware is only possible with ntrboot and compatible Flashcard?
Can you please clarify? Is it impossible to mod this 3DS? Should I return it? As I said I am a complete noob and require assistance so I have no clue how any of this really works. Nothing online suggested that my firmware was an issue until this point.

D

Deleted User

It´s that i thought the only way on Firmware 11.6 would be via ntrboot which requires a compatible Flashcard. Maybe this changed already. I will look into this. Meanwhile i hope a more knowledgeable user can help you.

You should follow this guide here if you want to savely softmod your 3DS.

Natsuru

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can use homebrew and not mod a system. According to your thread topic, your goal is to use homebrew.
If you want to mod, as in hack the console to play pirated games or run unsigned software you cant with OoT with 11.6.
You only options are hardmod, DSIware Hax or NTRBootHax.
What flash card did you order Invader?

InvaderNoodle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can use homebrew and not mod a system. According to your thread topic, your goal is to use homebrew.
If you want to mod, as in hack the console to play pirated games or run unsigned software you cant with OoT with 11.6.
You only options are hardmod, DSIware Hax or NTRBootHax.
What flash card did you order Invader?

I ordered this one as per this guide. It has a timebomb but supposedly not known when it occurs yet. I have a 2gb micro SD to use with it.

InvaderNoodle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat