Complete noob looking for info about 3ds Homebrew and emulators

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Ratatapa, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Ratatapa
    OP

Ratatapa GBAtemp Fan

Aug 3, 2015
    Canada
    Hi everyone, I made an account just to ask these questions because even though I read the wiki i didn't understood much, so let's hope the way I ask my questions will be a good way to get my answers

I wanna say first that I have 0 interest in pirating 3DS games.
    I have a N3DS XL at the latest firmware (9.9 i think?)

1) What will the homebrew let me do on my 3ds?

2) I follow smea on twitter and downloaded Ironfall like he asked and I wanna know will the homebrew he makes allow me to run flawlessly SNES, NES GBA and DS games?

3) If I cannot do all of them as ask in #2 I suppose my only options is R4I or R4Gold?

4) Any difference between those 2 cards?

5) I have only 1 console, can i still update one of those cards if they don't come with the latest firmware? and what would the procedure be?

Thanks and sorry for those questions

2. Hopalongtom

Hopalongtom GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    Its not Flawless but Snes games run great, GBA and Nes games, not so much yet but it does play them! Can play Gameboy/Colour games pretty well too. Nothing for emulating DS games though, you'll need a flash cart for that! Not all flash carts work with the 3DS so do be careful about which one you get, personally I keep my old DSi around for that.

3. Ratatapa
    OP

Ratatapa GBAtemp Fan

Aug 3, 2015
    Canada
    my N3DS is my first portable since the GBA So i'm guessing I should get a R4I then?

What happens if the R4I I buy is lower firmware then my 3ds? Am I fucked or?

4. Rioluwott

Rioluwott GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 23, 2014
    Mexico
    Buy a R4 SDHC Dual-Core is cheap and works on all version also with NDS Homebrews you can play Nes Games with good compatibility

Geno Breaker likes this.
  5. olshrimpeyes

olshrimpeyes Your question is bad and you should feel bad

Jul 30, 2015
    United States
    GNU/Somewhere
    FCEUMM3DS (an NES Emulator) runs nearly perfect on N3DS with Ninjhax2.0!

6. Hopalongtom

Hopalongtom GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    Really? Maybe I need to update the homebrew menu then, the Nes games I play lag about as much as the GBA emulator does, and slower then the Snes one!