Homebrew Complete noob here about to tackle Phailect guide, lots of Qs before I begin

treeman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I install RetroArch onto my new 3ds xl? Doesn't that also play Sega Genesis/Master Sytem stuff?

Is there instruction anywhere on how to do this "VC injection" stuff you mentioned?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
How do I install RetroArch onto my new 3ds xl? Doesn't that also play Sega Genesis/Master Sytem stuff?

Is there instruction anywhere on how to do this "VC injection" stuff you mentioned?
1. Retroarch is through homebrew or installed cia. There's a release/support thread around
2. You can download the VC injection cias directly from that ISO site, you don't have to do anything yourself.

treeman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry if I have no idea what any of that means. I successfully did the guide.

Do I manually download the latest retroarch emulators and put them on my SD card, or can I do that from within homebrew on my 3ds somehow?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Last edited by Quantumcat,

treeman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, special thanks to Quantumcat, vb_encryption_vb, annson24, and KunoichiZ for your help. I literally know nothing about this stuff, and you guys always chimed in with advice.

Got everything running last night. Installed retroarch, genesis emulator worked great but the NES and SNES emulators wouldn't load my roms for whatever reason, and the GBA emulators were pretty slow.

I'll continue to research how to fix these, as these are all I want to play on my 3ds.

Thanks again!

Reactions: Quantumcat

treeman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see about the CIA versions of the emulators. I'm still trying to figure out how to "inject" them in the first place! (I assume I just load the CIA file onto the root of my SD card, then open the FBI program on my 3ds home menu to "inject them," right?)

Anyway, putting all of the retroarch emulators on my homebrew seemed like overkill, there were like 4-5 SNES ones, 2-3 GBA ones, a few NES ones, etc. I had no idea which ones to use. I'd like to delete as many as possible if there is redundancy.

I want one and only one emulator each for GB/GBC, GBA, NES, SNES, Genesis, Master System, and maybe some of the other handhelds (game gear) and neo geo. Do you guys recommend cia based emulators for each of these that have been proven to run well?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I see about the CIA versions of the emulators. I'm still trying to figure out how to "inject" them in the first place! (I assume I just load the CIA file onto the root of my SD card, then open the FBI program on my 3ds home menu to "inject them," right?)

Anyway, putting all of the retroarch emulators on my homebrew seemed like overkill, there were like 4-5 SNES ones, 2-3 GBA ones, a few NES ones, etc. I had no idea which ones to use. I'd like to delete as many as possible if there is redundancy.

I want one and only one emulator each for GB/GBC, GBA, NES, SNES, Genesis, Master System, and maybe some of the other handhelds (game gear) and neo geo. Do you guys recommend cia based emulators for each of these that have been proven to run well?
For the first part: "Injecting" VC games means taking a real VC game from the eShop, pulling out the rom, and replacing it with another rom so the cia will play a different game than what it did originally. What you said is just installing them. You don't have to worry about injecting yourself because chances are, someone else wanted to play that game too, so did the injection and put the results up for people to download.
I don't know anything about emulators though, hopefully someone else can help you there :-)
And again, there is zero reason to play GB, GBC, GBA or NES through an emulator. Quality will be good to crappy depending on game and emulator, while you can have a flawless experience just installing a VC injected cia. (Well maybe emulators could let you do cheats and special save states possibly - but that's more advanced usage. Most people would prefer VC injections)

Last edited by Quantumcat,

treeman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the first part: "Injecting" VC games means taking a real VC game from the eShop, pulling out the rom, and replacing it with another rom so the cia will play a different game than what it did originally. What you said is just installing them. You don't have to worry about injecting yourself because chances are, someone else wanted to play that game too, so did the injection and put the results up for people to download.
I don't know anything about emulators though, hopefully someone else can help you there :-)
And again, there is zero reason to play GB, GBC, GBA or NES through an emulator. Quality will be good to crappy depending on game and emulator, while you can have a flawless experience just installing a VC injected cia. (Well maybe emulators could let you do cheats and special save states possibly - but that's more advanced usage. Most people would prefer VC injections)

I see. I guess I'll just bypass the emulators and go the CIA route. Then just make folders of the cias for each system, bypass homebrew launcher every time I want to play a game.

Is there a good rom conversion software for OSX for this?

Reactions: Quantumcat

treeman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
also, are there such thing as CIAs of emulators? For example, I don't see as much Sega Genesis game cia stuff out there as the Nintendo. Are there good genesis emulators that I can run as a cia? Or can just games run as cias?

LongTimeLurker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
also, are there such thing as CIAs of emulators? For example, I don't see as much Sega Genesis game cia stuff out there as the Nintendo. Are there good genesis emulators that I can run as a cia? Or can just games run as cias?

You want to get a CIA of the emulator you want, then copy ROMs and the CIA to the SD card. You then install ("inject" is the wrong terminology in this scenario) the CIA using FBI. After the CIA is installed, simply close FBI, and open your emulator. The emulator should have an interface allowing you to look for your ROMs and load them from the sdcard.

Good luck!

Edit: Unfortunately I can't find much about Sega Genesis emulation on the 3DS. I think there's an emulator, but I don't think it's finished yet.

Edit 2: I think RetroArch is working on it, you can follow their thread here. The thread says Sega Genesis runs at around 60fps, so that's good!

Last edited by LongTimeLurker,

treeman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You want to get a CIA of the emulator you want, then copy ROMs and the CIA to the SD card. You then install ("inject" is the wrong terminology in this scenario) the CIA using FBI. After the CIA is installed, simply close FBI, and open your emulator. The emulator should have an interface allowing you to look for your ROMs and load them from the sdcard.

Good luck!

Edit: Unfortunately I can't find much about Sega Genesis emulation on the 3DS. I think there's an emulator, but I don't think it's finished yet.

Edit 2: I think RetroArch is working on it, you can follow their thread here. The thread says Sega Genesis runs at around 60fps, so that's good!

I already installed the Retroarch emulators to my SD card, can run them through homebrew. Are there also cia versions of these same emulators? I can't seem to find them. Or will I always have to run my Genesis emulation through homebrew/retroach emulator?

LongTimeLurker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I already installed the Retroarch emulators to my SD card, can run them through homebrew. Are there also cia versions of these same emulators? I can't seem to find them. Or will I always have to run my Genesis emulation through homebrew/retroach emulator?

Ah I understand. Go here and download "RetroArch_cia.7z". You will always have to run your ROM through the RetroArch emulator unless somebody makes a CIA for single game loading.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.