Complaints on the WiiU

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Alright, so we've seen the WiiU yesterday on E3, then suddenly the whole world complains:

1. "What a gimmick!"
Sorry if this is insulting you in any way, but whoever says that's a gimmick is an idiot. Gimmicks are what makes gaming special. What do you want to see at E3 then? Any improvement will be called a gimmick in your opinion. If Nintendo just came back with a normal Wii with better graphics, you'd say "Oh that's just a stupid gimmick! What a fail, Nintendo!" Seriously, cut it out. Everything is a gimmick to those that think the WiiU's concept is a gimmick.

2. "The controller would be horribly uncomfortable!"
Guys, this is Nintendo we're talking about. At the launch of the Wii, everyone thought the remote was a brick. Literally a brick. What happened then? It turned out to be great. Very comfortable grip, attachable nunchuck, customizable gameplay, etc.
I mean honestly, don't you think that a company as big as Ninty would study that stuff well? I'll bet to you that if you were there at E3 and tried the controller, you'd take your words back. Alright, maybe I'm being too much of a fanboy. Ignore the previous 2 sentences. All I wanna say is that you really have no right to judge how comfortable something is without even trying it.

3. "Wasn't Nintendo the type that didn't care much about graphics?!
frown.gif
Don't be another Sony, Nintendo."
Nintendo really didn't care about graphics, and STILL doesn't. Apparently a good fraction of the world does, so it's Nintendo's job to ensure that their console is suitable and can be bought by all sorts of gamers. Even if you don't care that much about graphics yourself, why COMPLAIN if they give you BETTER graphics? Sure, you might not care much about graphics, but there's NO WAY on earth better graphics is a bad thing. Just appreciate Nintendo's effort.

Wow, I really needed to get all that said. So many people all over the internet are complaining and complaining. Cut it out, and cut Nintendo some slack! I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing. Thanks for listening guys, and I hope some of you agree.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I see people complaining about Sony all the time, with the PSP Go (even though 80% of you complainers have never touched a PSP in your life) and with the PSV.
But when people come to complain about Nintendo, WHY YOU TROLL? GTFO NOOB YOU HAVEN'T EVEN TRIED IT.

My opinion?
The Wii U controller looks fucking uncomfortable, seriously what's up with the placement of the analog sticks?

Lucifer666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
prowler_ said:
I see people complaining about Sony all the time, with the PSP Go (even though 80% of you complainers have never touched a PSP in your life) and with the PSV.
But when people come to complain about Nintendo, WHY YOU TROLL? GTFO NOOB YOU HAVEN'T EVEN TRIED IT.

My opinion?
The Wii U controller looks fucking uncomfortable, seriously what's up with the placement of the analog sticks?

Well, that's quite obvious. This is a Nintendo-based community.
But yeah, doesn't mean we have the right to complain about Sony's stuff. I know I don't, but I just have a lack of interest in Sony (which I should change pretty soon). Still no complaints though.
happy.gif

Generally though, it's like "Never judge a book by its cover" all over again.
We all thought the 3DS was gonna be something the world would be hyped over. Now? It's successful, but really not what we expected.
I don't know; these complaints, they just don't seem right..

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with you, although you didn't address all of the complaints. I'd say the biggest right now would be if Nintendo is leaving behind their casual audience. A lot of people are saying that because the Wii U isn't as easy to pick up and play as the wii, the casual audience will steer clear. But I humbly disagree. Look at the ds for example. Loads of ds games ONLY use the touch screen, but the ds still has face buttons. Judging from the demonstration, a lot of those demos didn't use any buttons at all, so I can only assume games that only use the touch screen will be pretty popular and easy to use. The button count is practically the same as well (Wii U has a couple more, but not enough to be a big deal) so even if a game requires buttons, then anyone who's played a ds (Which is millions by sales figures) should have no problem picking up the controller. And to even further show they're thinking of casual gamers, the original wii controllers work on Wii U and still seem to be a big part of the console. So those grandmas looking to play Wii Golf will still get to do that with ease.

Paarish

Connor's Nublet
Trophies
XP
Country
prowler_ said:

My opinion?
You've just contradicted yourself. You said that people judged the Go without playing it and you've done the same with the WiiU. I haven't said anything bad about either because I haven't played either of them

Lucifer666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tonitonichopchop said:
I agree with you, although you didn't address all of the complaints. I'd say the biggest right now would be if Nintendo is leaving behind their casual audience. A lot of people are saying that because the Wii U isn't as easy to pick up and play as the wii, the casual audience will steer clear. But I humbly disagree. Look at the ds for example. Loads of ds games ONLY use the touch screen, but the ds still has face buttons. Judging from the demonstration, a lot of those demos didn't use any buttons at all, so I can only assume games that only use the touch screen will be pretty popular and easy to use. The button count is practically the same as well (Wii U has a couple more, but not enough to be a big deal) so even if a game requires buttons, then anyone who's played a ds (Which is millions by sales figures) should have no problem picking up the controller. And to even further show they're thinking of casual gamers, the original wii controllers work on Wii U and still seem to be a big part of the console. So those grandmas looking to play Wii Golf will still get to do that with ease.

What is required for a casual gamer to be interested enough to play is Nintendo's 1st party support. It's their type of games that everyone plays. (eg. Mario, Pikmin, etc.)
And they're still keeping the 1st party support, so I don't find it logical to say that Nintendo is leaving their casual audience.
But now, instead of having an ONLY casual audience, Nintendo has made some graphical enhancements to have other audiences enjoy the system too. EA's part in the conference really said it.
And I couldn't agree more about the controller thing. If you really don't like the new one, despite all its advantages, then fine, use the Wiimote.
smile.gif

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Darmanitan said:
Alright, so we've seen the WiiU yesterday on E3, then suddenly the whole world complains:
Nice world you live in. I admit I haven't followed all the discussions, but from those 3 complaints, I only heard about the second one. And to be frank, I don't bother to care about ppl complaining about the first or third, as there will always be people complaining, no matter what.

But as for the controller...I can see their point about their criticism. One came through quite often while the thing was in speculation: the cost. And if it's going to have more bells and whistles (touchpad, microphone, camera, speakers...you name it) then people will want to make sure they get their value's worth out of it. It's not really fun to wield a controller twice the cost of anything sony or microsoft ever made if it doesn't play as convenient.

(to counter the criticism, I must say I have my doubts on shooters controlled with the kinect)

I also criticized their bad placement of what could have been thumb analog sticks. No, I'm not at E3, but I don't need to be there to know where my thumbs are. Or more precisely: where the thumbs of hardcore gamers will be. No, it's not on the wiiu's controller...it's pointing down. Because nintendo had a chance to cater for them, but they didn't.

(if it wasn't for the L and R buttons, I'd say that producers would probably design their shooters so you hold the wiiumote upside down)

...but you're right that I haven't heard from hardcore gamers yet. And I must admit I'm very curious to see what yahtzee (from zero punctuation) has to say about it.
tongue.gif

EDIT: almost forgot: you forgot to add how many people (myself included) complain about the console name. I'm already thinking of boycotting it for the heck of it*.

*it worked when Epic wanted to name their next UT shooter "UT2007"...it ended up the much better titled UT3 instead. If only that game hadn't sucked, I'd probably wouldn't be here posting right now.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Darmanitan said:
prowler_ said:

My opinion?

But yeah, doesn't mean we have the right to complain about Sony's stuff. I know I don't, but I just have a lack of interest in Sony (which I should change pretty soon). Still no complaints though.
happy.gif

We all thought the 3DS was gonna be something the world would be hyped over. Now? It's successful, but really not what we expected.
And everyone complaining about the PSP Go's small screen doesn't seem right either, but apparently, a lot of people here (who have probably never used a PSP Go) think that it's small and messes up graphics.

The WiiU controller looks horrible. Note that I said LOOKS, which means that in terms of appearance, I think that it looks really bad. So I don't need to have used it to know that it looks really ugly to me.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I think the WiiU looks great.
BTW Nintendo does care about graphics.
The Graphics are great on the Wii, but nintendo just decided to buy a slightly cheaper GPU than the PS3/360.
I was really impressed with the little Zelda demo on the WiiU, it looks so good.
Also glad that i don't have to buy new controllers cause i have my WiiMotes
smile.gif

Only thing i need to know now is Price and Specs (not too concearned atm about release date)
But why do nintendo leave out these things at E3
frown.gif

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
KingdomBlade said:
Darmanitan said:
prowler_ said:

My opinion?

happy.gif

And everyone complaining about the PSP Go's small screen doesn't seem right either, but apparently, a lot of people here (who have probably never used a PSP Go) think that it's small and messes up graphics.

The WiiU controller looks horrible. Note that I said LOOKS, which means that in terms of appearance, I think that it looks really bad. So I don't need to have used it to know that it looks really ugly to me.

#PSP Go screen - true, but the PSP screen is oversized anyway. And it's kinda like the controller here! Everyone says it's gay and uncomfortable, and they've never touched one in their life! From a first person experience, it's great.

Though when I first got the email from Nintendo I did think "UGLY... but high-tech... and expensive"

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
Trophies
XP
Country
The reason Ninty didn't announce a price is that WiiU is still a year away at least, and the global economy could be a radically different place 12 months from now. There is no point them saying 'It will cost no more than £300' only for it to come out at £325 and people to kick off. Equally if it came out for less than they announced, people would be suspicious that they don't have faith in their new console and have to lower the price.

I actually think the controller is a great idea- taking all of the innovations of the past decade and frankenstein-ing them together. So what if it's ugly? PSmove is ugly (looks like a wand from a 70's low budget scifi)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)