OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
I'm creating this thread specifically for the people who want to discuss how to attempt to get around the anti-piracy of riivolution, complain about the anti-piracy measures, how you feel entitled to use a USB loader even though you don't know how to program, how you feel the riivolution and newer teams have shafted you because your disc drive is broken, how you feel the world is unfair that you have to actually purchase the NSMBW game or pay to have your console repaired, about how your uncle touched you when you were little, or whatever the hell you want.

Just please keep that unproductive chatter in this thread instead of the other thread that I created.

mike333

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I want it now!!11!11 one one one
My dog eat NSMB disc - is there any way to get working iso?

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I know this wasn't serious, but Riivolution seriously needs to jump on the USB bandwagon.
My disc drive is actually broken, and the next version of the Mario Kart CTGP can't be hacked into ISO form.

Oh, and if it counts, that's also the reason I give the
new_middle_finger_emoticon_by_tailsfan97-d41d2xi.gif
to Devolution. Long live DIOS MIOS!

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm creating this thread specifically for the people who want to discuss how to attempt to get around the anti-piracy of riivolution, complain about the anti-piracy measures, how you feel entitled to use a USB loader even though you don't know how to program, how you feel the riivolution and newer teams have shafted you because your disc drive is broken, how you feel the world is unfair that you have to actually purchase the NSMBW game or pay to have your console repaired, about how your uncle touched you when you were little, or whatever the hell you want.

Just please keep that unproductive chatter in this thread instead of the other thread that I created.

If you really want to be dirty, you could *ahem* obtain the game by other means, replace the files, recompile the ISO image and load it Dolphin. That would work, would't it? It works for SSBB file swapping. I hope someone cracks Riivolution's DRM and "accidentally" releases said version out of spite.

The premise of Riivolution to make changes to games without supporting piracy or hacking isn't an infallible argument. You can't pirate games, no, but you have to run unofficial code on the Wii, which technically "violates" the EULA when using a Wii. Oh, the irony.

Reactions: air2004

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you really want to be dirty, you could *ahem* obtain the game by other means, replace the files, recompile the ISO image and load it Dolphin. That would work, would't it? It works for SSBB file swapping. I hope someone cracks Riivolution's DRM and "accidentally" releases said version out of spite.
I looked at the files, but I doubt that will work here. Riivolution allows for at least one thing file replacements don't and that's conditional replacing; change certain files depending on what the game is doing. Looking at the xml file it also seems to change some memory settings, but I don't know if all Riivolution mods do that or not.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I looked at the files, but I doubt that will work here. Riivolution allows for at least one thing file replacements don't and that's conditional replacing; change certain files depending on what the game is doing. Looking at the xml file it also seems to change some memory settings, but I don't know if all Riivolution mods do that or not.

Using file swapping methods and recompiling the ISO works for Brawl on Dolphin as the file replacement code isn't needed, the emulator loads the ISO just fine. I would think the same method could be use for Newer Super Mario Bros.

I can't wait for this fad to end, I don't understand why homebrew devs are implementing forms of DRM into their apps after they just circumvented official DRM.

It's hilariously ironic. "We circumvent Nintendo's DRM just so you, the users, can't" ROFL. Hacker will find a way, and will "accidentally" release it publicly. It's a good way to get back at so-called proponents of AP measures. I hope the authors of this program are laughing, because forcing people to have physical copies of their games at hand also need to have a Wii with a fully functional DVD ROM drive. Yeah, because those NEVER wear out!

So-called proponents' arguments are by no means infallible or irrefutable

They require disc verification and cannot run backups, therefore, when discs get too scratched or disc drives fail, games can't be loaded. Either the drive or the game itself will need replacement.

No one should have to buy a copy of something more than once; once you pay for it, why should you pay for it again? As for DVD drives, not everyone can solder.

"But piracy hurts sales!"

For whom? Many Wii games are no longer being produced, nor are companies benefiting from sales; the only ones who benefit are second-hand retailers, but surely, they give the money to Nintendo. right? The only ones who lose money are these more-often-than-not greedy sellers. They're are of little importance. Yeah, backing up ISO images of the games you own is totally pirating.

Reactions: ColdBlitz
D

Dork

I hope the authors of this program are laughing, because forcing people to have physical copies of their games at hand also need to have a Wii with a fully functional DVD ROM drive. Yeah, because those NEVER wear out!

Are the DVD drives on the Wii really that fragile? I have a launch Wii that's been dropped down a staircase at one point, and every aspect of it works perfectly. I did play the living shit out of my Wii, so you'd think the laser would have worn out by now.

Reactions: kp_centi

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The premise of Riivolution to make changes to games without supporting piracy or hacking isn't an infallible argument. You can't pirate games, no, but you have to run unofficial code on the Wii, which technically "violates" the EULA when using a Wii. Oh, the irony.
Piracy is a moral issue (and legal issue), the EULA is only a quasi-legal issue with no moral connection (for many people). I have a problem with piracy, but absolutely no problem with violating a EULA. I'm sure many devs agree (hence the AP exists). And I won't be posting any further in this topic, just felt this needed to be said.

Reactions: raulpica

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are the DVD drives on the Wii really that fragile? I have a launch Wii that's been dropped down a staircase at one point, and every aspect of it works perfectly. I did play the living shit out of my Wii, so you'd think the laser would have worn out by now.

Not really, but using burned DVDs supposedly puts extra strain on the lasers is all.

Piracy is a moral issue (and legal issue), the EULA is only a quasi-legal issue with no moral connection (for many people). I have a problem with piracy, but absolutely no problem with violating a EULA. I'm sure many devs agree (hence the AP exists). And I won't be posting any further in this topic, just felt this needed to be said.

And you're entitled to your opinion. I have no problem with *ahem* obtaining games no longer in print as there are only a finite amount of copies circulating, since there is no revenue going towards the companies in question. I'll buy games on the Virtual Console since they're infinitely cheaper than buying a $100 mint-condition copy on eBay, something I cannot agree with. I've no qualms with people wanting to sell on Amazon, eBay, etc, but if people are going to inflate prices to extortionate amounts, then I refuse to pay that price.

Yes, games are a luxury, I won't deny that either, but it shouldn't be a hassle or deemed immoral to backup the games a person has legally obtained. I have no issue with that either. One does not simply have the desire to pay exorbitant prices for a used, scratched game disc.

I don't try to justify my rationalization in pirating. Old games I have no moral issue in downloading as like I said before, the companies get zero profits from second-hand sales. Newer games, I have no problem as I want to support the companies because they deserve it for the time and effort they put into it.

Say what you will, but this is only my opinion and not everyone has the same mindset as me.

diddy81

Wii Theme Team
Trophies
XP
Country
omg just replacing the files will not work as it needs the asm hacks to run the game correctly with other games yes it works as your just replacing the files already in the iso the games code doesnt know its a edited file so just runs it but with newer theres not only the files that was in the game before but new ones as well without the asm hacks the game will not know to load them at all and will crash

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
omg just replacing the files will not work as it needs the asm hacks to run the game correctly with other games yes it works as your just replacing the files already in the iso the games code doesnt know its a edited file so just runs it but with newer theres not only the files that was in the game before but new ones as well without the asm hacks the game will not know to load them at all and will crash

A pox on that asinine requirement. Screw that, I'll guess we'll keep downloading games no longer in print.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Using file swapping methods and recompiling the ISO works for Brawl on Dolphin as the file replacement code isn't needed, the emulator loads the ISO just fine. I would think the same method could be use for Newer Super Mario Bros.
Not necessarily. The Fatal Frame 4 Riivolution translation has some issues if it's directly patched into the ISO, and the "Title Screen Fix" code in the Riivolution file makes me suspect it does a bit more than just change files.

Treeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
I still find it hilarious that people complain about anti-piracy measures in Riivolution. Making it work with USB loaders isn't a matter of commenting out some anti-USB code that these evil developers added-- it would require a ton of extra work because Riiv was designed to work from discs, not ISOs.

It's a bit like complaining that the Wii can't play N64 games (disregarding emulators). It's not because Nintendo is anti-backwards compatibility, it just wasn't designed to have that ability. And you can't "crack a Wii" and have a N64 cartridge slot magically appear :rolleyes:

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still find it hilarious that people complain about anti-piracy measures in Riivolution. Making it work with USB loaders isn't a matter of commenting out some anti-USB code that these evil developers added-- it would require a ton of extra work because Riiv was designed to work from discs, not ISOs.

It's a bit like complaining that the Wii can't play N64 games (disregarding emulators). It's not because Nintendo is anti-backwards compatibility, it just wasn't designed to have that ability. And you can't "crack a Wii" and have a N64 cartridge slot magically appear :rolleyes:

Wait, you can't load N64 carts in a Wii? No wonder mine broke!

But yeah, that makes sense, too bad the OP didn't think of that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: