Hacking Compatible SD cards for softmod virgin Wii 4.3U

Nemix77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi,

I'm looking to softmod a virgin black Wii (Family Edition, no Gamecube ports) with firmware 4.3U and was wondering if there is a list of compatible SD cards for doing so.

I know that most 2GB SD non-SDHC cards works without probblems but I'm looking to get a bigger and faster SDHC card.

The card I'm looking at is the SanDisk Ultra 8GB SDHC Class 6 from eBay.

Will this card work for softmoding a virgin Wii with firmware 4.3U?

Thanks,

Nemix77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not asking which cards are compatible by Nintendo standards that's why I'm here is the 'Wii Hacking' thread of GBAtemp.net forums.

I'm asking if a SanDisk Ultra 8GB SDHC Class 6 card will work for softmoding my virgin Wii firmware 4.3U?

Nemix77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks.

From what I've read before making this new topic, is that SanDisk Ultra SDHC's up to 16GB work with softmoding the Wii and HomeBrew but I just wanted to make sure.

Are there any case of fake SanDisk Ultra SDHC's bought off eBay?

The seller says the card is 100% genuine and being shipped from Hong Kong (suspicious).

More user experiences with this particular card for softmoding are all welcome.

most sd and sdhc cards are compatible

Guess things have changed since 2008, I remember back then only non-SDHC cards up to 2GB work for softmoding a Wii.

Edit:

Really, I only need a 4GB SDHC card but since the SanDisk Ultra 8GB SDHC Class 6 is only a bit more expensive I figure I'd get the 8GB mainly for read/write speeds being Class 6 (30MB/sec).

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks.

From what I've read before making this new topic, is that SanDisk Ultra SDHC's up to 16GB work with softmoding the Wii and HomeBrew but I just wanted to make sure.

Are there any case of fake SanDisk Ultra SDHC's bought off eBay?

The seller says the card is 100% genuine and being shipped from Hong Kong (suspicious).

More user experiences with this particular card for softmoding are all welcome.

most sd and sdhc cards are compatible

Guess things have changed since 2008, I remember back then only non-SDHC cards up to 2GB work for softmoding a Wii.

yes lots have changed xD and I'd always be suspicious from sites like ebay. You dont know for sure. Check if the seller has a good rating. you could always check out amazon

Nemix77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The seller looks legit, he has sold over 400 of the same card.

Checking out his feedbacks, they're are very positive and he only seems to sell memory cards (SD, CF, USB, etc).

I think he's legit, 14 day money back guarantee.

Nemix77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Devolution looks good but will it work on the newer Wii's with not Gamecube ports and backwards compatibility?

I can alwys get a used wii with Gamecube ports but I'd like one with the motion plus built into the Wii remote not the ones with a seperate motion plus attachment.

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Devolution looks good but will it work on the newer Wii's with not Gamecube ports and backwards compatibility?

I can alwys get a used wii with Gamecube ports but I'd like one with the motion plus built into the Wii remote not the ones with a seperate motion plus attachment.

you can buy those remotes with the built in motion plus on their own. And devolution will load from either sd or usb or both and support playing gamecube games without the actual gamecube controller.

Nemix77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm looking for a older black Wii with Gamecube ports and motion plus built in as of now.

Devolution looks good and there a few Gamecube games I'd like to play off USB with the original Gamecube controller since the in game tutorials will still use Gamecube controller mapping for instructions.

I think a 8GB SDHC for softmodding and VC/WiiWare games should be good enough (no need to go bigger).

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking for a older black Wii with Gamecube ports and motion plus built in as of now.

Devolution looks good and there a few Gamecube games I'd like to play off USB with the original Gamecube controller since the in game tutorials will still use Gamecube controller mapping for instructions.

I think a 8GB SDHC for softmodding and VC/WiiWare games should be good enough (no need to go bigger).

like i said the motion plus is in the remote not the wii...

Nemix77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know but I may as well get one with a Gamecube port and motion plus built in instead of getting one without motion plus or with the seperate attachment motion plus then I'd have to sell that Wii remote which would be troublesome for me.

Maybe you guys can help me with these two cards:

SanDisk Ultra 8GB SDHC Class 6 or SanDisk Extreme 4GB SDHC Class 6?

Both are 30MB/sec and the same price and since I probably will not need anything bigger than 4GB for VC/WiiWare, backup saves and Homebrew.

I just want the faster card, they are both rated the same but for some reason I think the Extreme is a bit faster (probably not noticeable) but has 4GB less than the Ultra (not going to use more than 4GB but extra space is always a good thing).

Any thoughts?

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know but I may as well get one with a Gamecube port and motion plus built in instead of getting one without motion plus or with the seperate attachment motion plus then I'd have to sell that Wii remote which would be troublesome for me.

Maybe you guys can help me with these two cards:

SanDisk Ultra 8GB SDHC Class 6 or SanDisk Extreme 4GB SDHC Class 6?

Both are 30MB/sec and the same price and since I probably will not need anything bigger than 4GB for VC/WiiWare, backup saves and Homebrew.

I just want the faster card, they are both rated the same but for some reason I think the Extreme is a bit faster (probably not noticeable) but has 4GB less than the Ultra (not going to use more than 4GB but extra space is always a good thing).

Any thoughts?

what do you mean "and motion plus built in"

motion plus is BUILT INTO THE REMOTE. not the WII. the remotes have nothing to do with the wii model. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_MotionPlus#Wii_Remote_Plus

DaMan4169

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ONLY difference between ultra and extreme cards of the same class is the temperature range they can operate in. Really only matters if using it for photography in extreme climate.

Get the bigger size they are the same speed.......

Nemix77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks DaMan4169 I'm going to go with the SanDisk Ultra 8GB Class 6. Even thought the Ultra 16Gb is Class 10 I don't think I'll need the extra 8GB plus it's $6 more (which is not a lot but just a waste for my needs).

@ Shano56 in my books there are 4 versions on the Wii as far as motion plus and Gamecube ports are involved:

The first and earliest models do not have Wii motion plus becuase it never came out yet.

The second models included Wii motion plus but as an attachment which you could buy seperately and makes the Wii remote longer.

The third models come with Wii motion plus built right into the Wii remote no attachment needed, the Wii remote with motion plus is the same size as the first models.

The fourth models are exactly the same as the thrid models except there is no Gamecube ports.

What I'm trying to say is I do not want the first or second models where with motion plus the Wii remote in longer, I'll end up selling that Wii remote for a newer Wii remote with motion plus built in (third/fourth models) which is a hassle and a waste of time for me.

image01.jpg
wii_motion_plus_white_16__56646.jpg

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And devolution will load from either sd or usb or both and support playing gamecube games without the actual gamecube controller.

No it won't http://gbatemp.net/t...ost__p__4223172

Apparently it's hard.

http://gbatemp.net/t...ost__p__4222033
http://gbatemp.net/t...ost__p__4222006

IIRC the lego game and smash bros exploits don't support SHDC. For those you'd need a card 2gb or less. You can copy the lego game save from an SDHC, but it won't be able to load boot.dol. I've never used letter bomb, so I don't know how compatible it is.

The ONLY difference between ultra and extreme cards of the same class is the temperature range they can operate in. Really only matters if using it for photography in extreme climate.

All class 10 means is that when writing slows down, it won't go slower than 10 mb/s. It has no bearing on the read speed, so a class 10 card can legitimately have a slower read speed than a class 2 card.

Better quality cards can read faster and write faster than their slowest speed more of the time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.timeextension.com/news/2024/04/new-konami-code-discovered-in-castlevania-game-25-year...