Comparison of Freeloader and GCOS for GC imports

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by pelago, Aug 14, 2007.

Aug 14, 2007
  1. pelago
    OP

Member pelago Member

United Kingdom
    In the GBAtemp Cyclowiz review, Dirtie says that GCOS has some issues when used to boot import GC games, suggesting that Freeloader is better. Can anyone else confirm how GCOS compares to Freeloader for booting GC imports, especially on a PAL Wii? Anyone got a list of which games don't work on GCOS but do on Freeloader, for example?

Now that the 3.0 Wii update stops Freeloader from working, I'm worried that that means that the GC import situation is not as good as it used to be.

I have not yet modded my PAL Wii, but I have not yet updated to 3.0 either. I'm wondering whether I should stick with 2.2 when I do eventually mod it, in case Freeloader really is better than GCOS. If GCOS is just as good as Freeloader, then I won't worry about updating to 3.0.

Any thoughts?

2. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    I have loads of ntsc gc games which work great with gcos.. check the compatibility list http://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php?title=Ga...patibility_List very very few games don't work with gcos (use emukid's multiboot maker it's very easy)

3. pelago
    OP

Member pelago Member

United Kingdom
    Thanks for the link. Looking at that list, I see quite a lot of 'No's, and things in the Notes regarding crashing. I don't know if Freeloader has better compatibility - does anyone?

Also, is there a way to burn GCOS onto the same disc as the import game, so that I don't have to swap discs every time I boot? Is that what emukid's multiboot maker does?

I'm not particularly bothered about having multiple games on one disc, but I would like to be able to play GC imports just by sticking a single disc into the Wii drive, without having to muck about with swapping etc.

Thanks in advance.

4. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    yeah that's what that thing he made does.. it's basically a commandline program that creates an iso with one or more games in there with a GCOS menu up front [​IMG]
    http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=53005 here's where he posted it it's very easy
    Also, you can use every game disc you make as a bootdisc for the modchip setup dvd's for example. Quite handy!