Comparing GBA Flash Cards

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by ahmad, Jun 29, 2007.

Jun 29, 2007

Comparing GBA Flash Cards by ahmad at 12:25 AM (1,028 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. ahmad
    OP

Newcomer ahmad Member

New Zealand
    I've been looking through the forums and have done my best but still can't make a decision.

I am looking for a flash card for a GBA Micro, PURELY for GBA gaming. I also have a DSL so being able to change into a DSL shell in the future would be a bonus, but not the primary concern.

Compatibility for GBA is important. However GBA/DS linkage is not important to me.

I could live with fixed "onboard" memory if the card was better/more compatible/cheaper.

Cost IS a factor for me also.

M3 Lite Perfect? G6 Lite? EZ Flash? (the numbering system of EZF confuses me) Or would an "older" style cartridge with "linker cable" suit my needs better?

I would really appreciate your thoughts and/or pointing me in the direction of good threads to find the card that suits my purpose. Thanks in advance.

2. ahmad
    OP

Newcomer ahmad Member

New Zealand
    Would really like some help here please. Anyone? [​IMG]

Strongest contender right now is the $45 chinese G6 Lite from dealextreme (purely on price considerations). Would really like to consider an M3 perfect but can't find one for under $90 before shipping...

If these products are essentially equivalent then I'd go for the G6 Lite but I would rather only make this purchase once and don't want to make a mistake if the M3 would be a better choice...

3. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    Yep the M3 Lite is incredibly expensive in retail stores - and even more so with a microSD.

If you're interested in GBA only, get the EZIV Deluxe (or miniSD version for a GBA sized shell). This will set you back for around the same as the Chinese G6, but with expandable memory, and marginally better GBA support.

4. ahmad
    OP

Newcomer ahmad Member

New Zealand
    Thank you. Can you somehow get the Chinese G6 to be English? It probably doesn't matter too much anyway though.

I'm confused about the EZ range. What's the "3-in-1". Is that the name of a product (ie. completely different to EZF3 EFZ4 and EFZ5?)?

P.S. Is expandible memory a big issue with the 512 size of the chinese G6 for $45? One thing that appeals with the G6 is that "out of the box" I can switch shells (for future use with my DSL). However with the M3 Lite I think it can be a bit hit and miss whether or not you get the GBA shell (and it's not easy for me to get GBA shells at the drop of a hat where I live).

5. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    IIRC there was some way to change it by using a beta firmware or something. Not very sure so you're better off aking someone else.

The 3in1 is solely an expansion pack for a slot 1 card. It carries one game at a time (flashed to the NOR memory), and supports browser and some mediocre rumble.

It is separate to the EZ5 (slot 1), EZ4/3/2/1 (slot 2).

EDIT: As for expandable memory, if you're only planning to use it for GBA, 512 is more than enough

6. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Most places include the GBA shell with the M3 Lite these days. If they don't specify that it's included you can always email them and ask. You could also get an M3 miniSD. I think it's the same size as a GBA game.

7. ahmad
    OP

Newcomer ahmad Member

New Zealand
    Thanks for your helpful replies.

I am looking at dealextreme and can't see EZF4 - only 5 and 3-in-1.

The Chinese G6 seems a real bargain at $45 and I might not be able to go past it - what prices do the EZF4's go for and where should I look?

Edit: Thanks destructobot.

As money is a real consideration at the moment for me, and I can't find any G6 alternative for under $80, I'm strongly in favour of the G6 right now. I get the feeling from the replies so far that this wouldn't be a big mistake in terms of GBA functionality?

8. emmsmama

Newcomer emmsmama Advanced Member

Canada
    I'm interested in the answers to these ?'s as well because I am wanting a slot 2 for playing GBA games and am leaning toward the EZ 3-in-1 since I already have an R4 (on the way anyway). I'm glad the ? about EZ options was covered to because I was confused as to whether EZ3 is the same as the EZ 3-in-1 which apparently it is not.

My ? is does EZ3in1 drain the battery like crazy since it is running through the R4 or am I mistaken in how it works?