Hacking Comparing: Gateway VS R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right, I was referring to the upcoming 2.0 release for the NAND question I had. Derpy questions perhaps, but not irrelevant.
Are the resources specific games you're referring to Pokemon X/Y, and Batman? Or something else?

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
That's a pretty big "if." And even if they are 1:1 clones, who's to say the clone teams won't just use Gateway's firmware as a starting point to branch out and do their own thing? Look at Acekard. Their card started out as a clone and they turned out to be a pretty reputable and credible team (in my opinion). We don't know what way these clone teams will go, to be honest. But in most cases, imitation spurs innovation.

Acekard was never a clone of anything... Where do you idoits get this idea from seriously....

Reactions: ground and Ryukouki

Waygeek

Trophies
XP
pq8c.jpg

Coming shortly in pieces

feel free to chat here about the Comparison

but First Impressions
its going to be pretty close

Ok
First the DS Flashcards
Gateway Blue Vs R4i Gold 3DS (Rev D)
tiwq.jpg

We All Know and Love the R4ids.cn R4i Gold DS Flashcard, they are indeed built well and supply us with updates fast and supported by Official Wood Kernel and Wood 1.64 having the MSET Hack Installer Built into the Wood File Menu.

Gateway Team not producing any sort of Flashcards Before and was supported with the Hacked 1.56 Wood bundled with a .nds installer File for the MSET Hack.

Both do the Job perfectly fine and get the job done
BUT!
if you plan on using this card as DS Flashcard as well as just a MSET Hack installer then the Gateway Blue sadly falls short.

The R4i Gold 3DS supporting 3DS's Up to 6.3.0-X
The Gateway Blue supporting 3DS's Up to 6.1.0-X

In the Support of DS Roms
Wood 1.64 having better game compatibility of Wood 1.56

Build and Flashcard Quality of the DS cards
Both have very similar case design
both fit fine in and out of the 3DS Slot
yes the R4i Gold 3DS does have more components but this is pretty much just the next revision of there Rev C card and would expect to get updates so that the DS flashcard can be used on higher Firmware versions (even though the 3DS exploit cannot be used currently on higher than 4.5.0-X Firmware)

Second the 3DS Flashcards
Gateway Red Vs R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe
vkc8.jpg

well
lets start on what i can actually say
Both cards are good builds, both seem clean and use good components

Gateway Red actually has a 3DS Card case with the notch
R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe has a Standard DS case
the Gateway Red has a White case, R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe has a Grey

the R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe has a better MicroSD slot by my opinion
as the Gateway is Spring Loaded, and the R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe is not which i prefer as makes the slot more reliable

the R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe has all its components on 1 side, making it a sturdy chip
the Gateway Red has components on both and hold in the casing (tho covered by stickers)

R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe Fits in the Slot 1 fine like a Normal DS game
Gateway Red is a bit thicker so fits just slightly more snug

heres pics of the consoles
Black is the Gateway Console, Red is the R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe
jfp0.jpg

Ok Game Compatibility Wise:
Gateway 1.2 FW & R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe 2.0 FW
PASS:
Mario & Luigi - Dream Team Bros. (E&U)
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games (E&U)
Mario Kart 7 (E&U)
Mario Tennis Open (E&U)
New Super Mario Bros. 2 (E&U)
Paper Mario - Sticker Star (E&U)
Super Mario 3D Land (E&U)
Rune Factory 4 (J&U)
Etrian Odyssey IV - Legends of the Titan (E&U)
Etrian Odyssey Untold - The Millennium Girl (U)
Senran Kagura Burst: Guren no Shoujotachi (J)
Adventure Time - Hey Ice King! Whyd You Steal Our Garbage?! (U)
New Love Plus (J)
Hatsune Miku and Future Stars: Project Mirai (J)

FAIL:
Monster Hunter 4 (J)
Pokemon X(E)
Pokemon Y (E)
Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate (E)
Hometown Story (U)
Ben 10 Omniverse 2 (U)
Monster High 13 Wishes (U)
Animal Crossing New Leaf (E)

Both cards gave the same results Compatibility wise

So both of these cards are pretty evenly matched, both do exactly the same job for the 3DS.
The decider will be what team provides the next Update and what features they add. (will edit more into this when this happens)

The Main advantage the R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe has is that you get a Fully up to date Wood DS Flashcard
running Wood 1.64, where the Gateway Team is using the Hacked 1.56 Wood. but if you already have a good DS Flashcard you can always use that one in place of the Gateway Blue Card.

Updates and Support from the Team with the next Updates will give us more of a definite answer tho :D (which hopefully we will see soon)

feel free to ask comments bellow and i will answer them

Thanks for going to the lengths you did to make this comparison, but for the love of god learn to punctuate and capitalize, and construct coherent sentences if you're going to be writing an OP like that.

Reactions: NEP

ground

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That's a pretty big "if." And even if they are 1:1 clones, who's to say the clone teams won't just use Gateway's firmware as a starting point to branch out and do their own thing? Look at Acekard. Their card started out as a clone and they turned out to be a pretty reputable and credible team (in my opinion). We don't know what way these clone teams will go, to be honest. But in most cases, imitation spurs innovation.

if you look at the decrypted launcher files, everything is the same except the gateway names is removed. even the gabberish code is the same, so that if is not so big. They even don't have other fuetures.
And somebody else said also that the acekard started as a clone, but other people said they didn't. ( can't find the thread anymore, so correct me if I'm wrong)

anyway, as soon as the clones start to implent their own futures ( e.g. direct save or multirom support), then i can appriciate them.

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Acekard was never a clone of anything... Where do you idoits get this idea from seriously....

First of all, this is what I read on this same forum from a few members. Admittedly, I didn't do my own research to prove its validity. But if you have a source that can prove it never started out as a clone, then please provide it. Second of all, if you can't prove your point without spouting off insults, then you're incapable of having a mature discussion. If this is the case, I will ignore your posts from here on in. Third of all, you ignored my entire point in the post you quoted. But if the intent of your post was to call me an idiot for making unsubstantiated claims, then wouldn't that make you an idiot too?

if you look at the decrypted launcher files, everything is the same except the gateway names is removed. even the gabberish code is the same, so that if is not so big. They even don't have other fuetures.
And somebody else said also that the acekard started as a clone, but other people said they didn't. ( can't find the thread anymore, so correct me if I'm wrong)

anyway, as soon as the clones start to implent their own futures ( e.g. direct save or multirom support), then i can appriciate them.

I'm not trying to force people to believe that clones are good. I'm just giving my opinion about them, because I used to be on the other side of the fence. Since the code is all the same for Gateway's firmware and clones, then I guess it is safe to say clone flashcarts blatantly copied Gateway's firmware. But that doesn't mean they can't break away from that by building on that already copied firmware. That's one of the points I was trying to make in that post.

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
First of all, this is what I read on this same forum from a few members. Admittedly, I didn't do my own research to prove its validity. But if you have a source that can prove it never started out as a clone, then please provide it. Second of all, if you can't prove your point without spouting off insults, then you're incapable of having a mature discussion. If this is the case, I will ignore your posts from here on in. Third of all, you ignored my entire point in the post you quoted. But if the intent of your post was to call me an idiot for making unsubstantiated claims, then wouldn't that make you an idiot too?

I'm not trying to force people to believe that clones are good. I'm just giving my opinion about them, because I used to be on the other side of the fence. Since the code is all the same for Gateway's firmware and clones, then I guess it is safe to say clone flashcarts blatantly copied Gateway's firmware. But that doesn't mean they can't break away from that by building on that already copied firmware. That's one of the points I was trying to make in that post.

I am well known for my work on the custom firmware for the Acekard RPG and Acekard 2i. The original Acekard was released months before the R4, They then released an updated version called the Acekard+. I have extensive knowledge on all nds mode flashcarts and can say for absolute certainty that none of Acekards flashcarts were clones of anything else.

TheBlueSky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Normmatt is "well known" in the scene, one must not call Acekard a clone (even naively). He is the only wise person left amongst the humans!

Ontopic: I haven't read any proper review for this R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe card. Does anyone have a link to a full review?

Reactions: IronClouds

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Also, there is a huuuge cost difference, right? Gateway costs around 76$ and R4i Gold 3DS deluxe around 20$ :P

Yup, the $80 of Gateway vs the $20 of the clones totally convinced me of buying a clone instead. Oh, that hasn't happened...

youra6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just waiting for price drops. I'm willing to pay a premium for the Gateway, but not a 60 dollar one.

Rinth

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Also, there is a huuuge cost difference, right? Gateway costs around 76$ and R4i Gold 3DS deluxe around 20$ :P

I'm just waiting for price drops. I'm willing to pay a premium for the Gateway, but not a 60 dollar one.

What are you guys smoking? Are you guys seriously comparing the price of a 3DS flashcart for 3DS games against a flashcart for DS games? Both 3DSLink and R4 3DS Gold Deluxe cost around $60. The price premium can be less than $20 depending on where you buy the card.

Razum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm blind, misread the description and that it was the one that plays 3ds games. Thanks for the quick answer though.

unnivava

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Was wondering.. will the R4i Gold 3ds Deluxe have new versions? Like I know there will be firmware updates for it, but like will there be, or do you think there will be a like R4 Gold 3ds Deluxe 2.0 or something? I mean, long title already, but either way, I don't want to have to purchase several versions for like I don't know, a big update of some sort. Do you think there'll only be one 3ds game supporting r4? (I'm a nub to this 3d emulation stuff :l)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah the dual screen makes them better because that's how they were developed for
    +1
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Wii U is also great.
    For DS games.
    Also, 3DS games through NTR streaming on Wii U.
    It's very cool.
    Even playable.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can have main game on big screen and touch lay out on wiiu tablet I can see that
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, I have a broken o3ds xl
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Phones worked great for DS emulation with DraStic and a controller that held your phone
    But sadly that's coming to an end
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, atleast I think the latest version's apk is archived somewhere
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah it works great but it's the obvious Ds factor you loose from it it's not like playing atari games on atari because Nintendo actually use to give a reason to buy their hardware
    +1
    Honestly Ken I actually have the hardware and it's hacked and works fine, prefer my phone lol
    Microphone is more sensitive, DraStic has a high res mode, screen is way better just overall a better experience
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I just like game consoles how they were intended to play if they have a unique enough reason to buy them anything else yeah just download emulation for it
    Oh and touch screen infinity better lol
    @Xdqwerty It's still on Play Store.
    for free
    Install before they remove it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd like to see a DS emulator that allows casting top screen to TV then use bottom for the touch screen stuff
    +1
    I used a vertical touch 22" monitor for playing some 3DS games through Citra.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Can't be that far off from it not like ds requires super hardware
    @K3Nv2 I did that using Citra for 3DS games. Bottom screen was my smartphone. Until I got the touch screen.
  • SwordShielder @ SwordShielder:
    Use a TV
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Citra loows it already?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Citra loows it already?