COMODO Firewall makes my Windows XP boot up SLOW

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Feels Good Man, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Feels Good Man
    OP

Member Feels Good Man GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Or at least I think it is. Im almost positive it though.

It makes my computer boot up in like 10 minutes. It's kind of annoying after a while. Anyone know why it's doing this and how to fix it?

It might also be Avast's fault. Not sure. I installed both of them right after the other.

Anyway yea. Anyone know a fix?

2. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    I remember that Comodo FireWall made my Vista setup boot op slow too.
    Now I have AVG Free, and it works like a charm.

3. Awdofgum

Member Awdofgum Wadofgum

United States
    I remember someone recommended me COMODO firewall, but it gave me a blue screen everytime I booted up my PC.

4. B-Blue

Member B-Blue im a slut

5. Commander

Member Commander GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I never had any problems with Comodo Firewall on my Windows XP x64 setup, try google searching I am sure some other people have had similar problems.
    Or change to another firewall, such as ZoneAlarm Free.

You don't even really need a firewall, they only protect you from other people on your network.

6. Feels Good Man
    OP

Member Feels Good Man GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Okay so I uninstalled both and switched to AVG and Zone Alarm. Before installing those two, Windows booted up REALLY fast. When I installed AVG, it boot up pretty fast as well. But when I installed Zone Alarm, it just booted up really slow again. Just about the same boot time as when I used COMODO. Anyone know why? Does it check for updates each time it starts or like scans something?

Yea >__

7. dogman

Member dogman GBAtemp Regular

Chile
    um, have you checked if you have any other software trying to connect to internet at startup?
    Hamachi and vmware have their own network adapters, and this may cripple your firewall if you havent set up the rules for them.

Also, if you have any software that tries to connect but isnt allowed to, it could be that it has a 10 minute timeout period if its unable to connect (given that any firewall breaks your windows xp).

Also, these people are right, you dont need a firewall nor an antivirus as long as you, the user, knows whats on your computer. When I had a firewall, it only worked to alert me if I wanted any software to connect (do you wish firefox to connect? uh, yeah) but I never received attacks or anything like that. And my antivirus only complained when other people used their infected usb drives on my computer...

Download from reliable sources that assure you what you download, and try to use free software.

And yeah, zonealarm is a joke, really. [​IMG]

8. Gman 101

Member Gman 101 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Just get Kaspersky. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it thus far... it's THE best AV... no slow downs, and high reliability. Better than my old McAfee which used to lag my computer every time a .exe file would show up.