"Common" things you have never seen/done.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Over the years I have seen various comments on here from people that have never seen or done something that caused a raised eyebrow. Many times entirely justifiable (if you are living in some poor tropical country you likely don't have the funds to go fly on a plane to see a mountain and thus some snow) but still amusing to see.

What thing do you imagine others take for granted then have you never seen, eaten, experienced, owned or the like?

Never seen snow is a good example, never seen the sea, never eaten meat (or a type of it -- I am always stunned that so many Americans have never eaten lamb), never seen an animal that I eat (you don't have to be a "meat comes from a packet" type but I have met those that have never seen various animals they regularly eat in the flesh, or might only have when going by in a car at high speed), never eaten certain popular fruits/vegetables, same for never picked any fruit/vegetables, I do wonder how long it will be before "never used a PC" is a thing around here, never watched broadcast TV might also be one before too long (I must have installed at least 20 TVs over the last few years, and I am by no means a TV installer, that are "I only want to watch netflix/youtube"), never been to the cinema is a possibility for many (it has been years since I have), never been to the countryside is one I have met a few times now (and friends have ever more fun stories for when they run camps), never held/fired a gun, never ridden a push bike, never gutted a fish, never used a power tool, never gone swimming, I have met those that would claim to have never read a book, alcohol is a fun one even not counting the various religions that don't care for it, never baked a cake, never driven a car, never been on a boat, never used a credit/debit card, never seen a dead body (though depending upon where you are in the world that might not be a common thing these days at all)... hopefully you get the idea. You don't have to limit yourself to those.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
For an Austrian not really common (as we know since 2 Days ago,we are "Wood/Forestpeople)......

Swimming in the Sea. this.gif
I was on the Nordsee a few Years ago and stepped into but not swim...
(I am really afraid of today´s Behavior from Sharks...)

Last edited by Alexander1970,
Reactions: Ryccardo

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Never broke a bone or had a plastered limb.
I was more than a greasy teenager when I first knowingly (if that was how much pain that is supposed to be associated then I probably did a few others over the years).
Don't recommend it.
My arm in this was was disgusting when it got off (haven't washed in months) and took ages to regain strength.

Trying to think what things I have not done. All the ones on my list at the start (which I have seen around here as examples) I have done, and with the exception of the sea and snow then in the last few days (seen cows, sheep, geese, ducks, horses, goats enough to smell them while on foot, currently have a slight bruised eye because an apple tree viciously threw its children at me while I was stealing its other children).

Add another to the list though. Electric shock. I have had plenty but hey. Stung by a wasp/bee. Plenty of those too. I could probably do a held/seen a powered console but that might be a separate thread actually (if someone wants to make it then go for it).
Could expand the tools things to various DIY stuff -- painted a wall, hung a picture, hung a shelf maybe (though that might be something).

Technically never had job -- finished university, found nobody cared and went self employed as there are apparently still plenty of people I can help and will pay for the privilege. Thusly never had a boss, a raise, technically a salary negotiation (payment negotiation is a different game in some ways), dread at the start of a day, worry about being fired or made redundant (contracts and clients come and go), office politics for when I could have a holiday (can take off months at a time if I want, and I do), never had a schedule for anything other than appearing once a week/month/quarter to do something and happily being able to say how about tomorrow, coworkers (school does not count) in the sense of we are all faced with the same drudgery (I have never employed anybody directly either, or indeed indirectly in as much as they report to me but are paid by some other means -- anybody I do pull in is usually an expert at what they are doing in their own right).

Reactions: cearp

VMHoss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Over the years I have seen various comments on here from people that have never seen or done something that caused a raised eyebrow. Many times entirely justifiable (if you are living in some poor tropical country you likely don't have the funds to go fly on a plane to see a mountain and thus some snow) but still amusing to see.

What thing do you imagine others take for granted then have you never seen, eaten, experienced, owned or the like?

Never seen snow is a good example, never seen the sea, never eaten meat (or a type of it -- I am always stunned that so many Americans have never eaten lamb), never seen an animal that I eat (you don't have to be a "meat comes from a packet" type but I have met those that have never seen various animals they regularly eat in the flesh, or might only have when going by in a car at high speed), never eaten certain popular fruits/vegetables, same for never picked any fruit/vegetables, I do wonder how long it will be before "never used a PC" is a thing around here, never watched broadcast TV might also be one before too long (I must have installed at least 20 TVs over the last few years, and I am by no means a TV installer, that are "I only want to watch netflix/youtube"), never been to the cinema is a possibility for many (it has been years since I have), never been to the countryside is one I have met a few times now (and friends have ever more fun stories for when they run camps), never held/fired a gun, never ridden a push bike, never gutted a fish, never used a power tool, never gone swimming, I have met those that would claim to have never read a book, alcohol is a fun one even not counting the various religions that don't care for it, never baked a cake, never driven a car, never been on a boat, never used a credit/debit card, never seen a dead body (though depending upon where you are in the world that might not be a common thing these days at all)... hopefully you get the idea. You don't have to limit yourself to those.
Most of the stuff I do might be considered "not common", but I will list the "common" things I've never done.

I've never seen actual desert.
Never tried real noodles.
Never got around to Linux on PS3 (yet) (also I think this is common because part of PS3 sold because of Linux).
Never installed Arch (common?).
Never seen a single-colour carpet (what do you expect when I live in the Middle East lmao).
Never ate a buttercup (I heard this was a common thing to do at the time I was in primary school).
Never played a Banjo.
Never played on PS2 hardware (PS2 is literally the most common console of all time).
Never quoted a post in GBATemp (seriously why does everybody quote instead of reply???).
I could say more but unfortunately most of it isn't common.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This could get too subjective :unsure:
That is half the fun of such a thing. Figuring out what other people deem common, or "oh wow I did not know everybody did that and I had not even considered it".

Most of the stuff I do might be considered "not common", but I will list the "common" things I've never done.

I've never seen actual desert.
Never tried real noodles.
Never got around to Linux on PS3 (yet) (also I think this is common because part of PS3 sold because of Linux).
Never installed Arch (common?).
Never seen a single-colour carpet (what do you expect when I live in the Middle East lmao).
Never ate a buttercup (I heard this was a common thing to do at the time I was in primary school).
Never played a Banjo.
Never played on PS2 hardware (PS2 is literally the most common console of all time).
Never quoted a post in GBATemp (seriously why does everybody quote instead of reply???).
I could say more but unfortunately most of it isn't common.
Never heard the buttercup thing before.

As for the rest I assume you picture the rest of the world as hillbilly weaboos.

No PS2 though... I can understand not playing say a Saturn or a Dreamcast, and as about 3 Wii U were ever sold then that too.
On the other hand if you are doing the middle east bit then around the time the PS2 was embargoed from a lot of places there.

As far as quote vs reply. Quote is mostly for multiple people you want to respond to while reply can be tricky with some browsers setups (I normally send them all out to different tabs and copy-paste back in).

Never played a Final Fantasy game.
yes, you read right.
Many years ago I had a thread covering games you ought to have played so say you do this gaming lark and presumably have a grounding in it all (similar idea to films you must have seen to call yourself a cinephile, books, album, board games...). As I sit here today then I am not sure I would count Final Fantasy among those. If you have played a clone thereof (ignoring Legend of Dragoon of course) then I don't reckon you are in too bad a stead. In your case if you were in Europe then other than that gameboy entry that was not even really final fantasy such things did not appear until 7 on the PS1 (bunch of the older stuff also got remade on the PS1 and later GBA for Europe) and while emulators were a thing before then it was not so common.
Equally even if you stick to mainline entries I reckon only about 5 have any real resonance (4,5,6, 7, maybe 8, might as well do 9, and because I am a heretic then I actually like 12). The really early stuff is too clunky today and most things post PS1 are not good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1