• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 2,679
  • Replies 20
D

Deleted_171835

OP
QUOTE said:
Karsten Nohl, a German computer scientist and encryption expert, claims to have cracked the algorithm that protects wireless communications over GSM networks, the chosen route for 80-percent of global cellular traffic. As part of what Nohl told the Chaos Communication Congress is an attempt to "push operators to adopt better security measures for mobile phone calls," he published the 2 terabytes of binary code through BitTorrent.

Of course, the code, in and of itself, does not magically enable anyone to eavesdrop on cell phone conversations. Those signals must still be intercepted, and significant work must be done to decrypt them. Still, by publishing the algorithm, Nohl has made the work of would-be hackers that much easier.

The particular version of the encryption cracked is the older 64-bit A5/1 algorithm, which was state of the art when it debuted in 1988. In 2007, the GSM Association debuted the newer 128-bit A5/3 standard, but many network operators have been reluctant to spend the money to upgrade. The leak of this information, needed to crack the older standard, may finally light a fire under carriers and get them moving on the long overdue update.

Now who's going to be able to download 2 terabytes of code!

Source

saxamo

Spaaaaace!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I too have been with CDMA for most of my time, but GSM always seemed more...hackable. More user friendly I mean to say. What with all the sim card swapping and you can use any phone and most no contract plans are GSM, it's truly the people's protocol...Until now! I don't think this will make much of a difference. At least not for a year or so. WEP is easily hackable now and how many people either A. Know this or B. Have the care to do it.

Chanser

:o
Trophies
XP
Country
Monaco
You could blackmail celebrities and politicians.
tongue.gif

Sir-Fritz

Trophies
XP
Country
saxamo said:
I too have been with CDMA for most of my time, but GSM always seemed more...hackable. More user friendly I mean to say. What with all the sim card swapping and you can use any phone and most no contract plans are GSM, it's truly the people's protocol...Until now! I don't think this will make much of a difference. At least not for a year or so. WEP is easily hackable now and how many people either A. Know this or B. Have the care to do it.
Lol Australia doesnt even have cdma any more (took it out like 3 years ago) most people have 3g now.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chris_Skylock said:
RED mobile of Philippines will be famous for their 3G-only service. lol.

US government listen to their citizen's call? shame on them

Well, they did in the Bush administration on what they said were "selected people" (like "supposed" terrorists, but it was actually doing journalists and the like). Odds are most governments do it, they just don't say.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
yuyuyup said:
too bad dumbass hackers can't figger out the ps3

pls don't hack me
Hah. You seem like the only dumbass around here. Even if the PS3 is hacked it would be impractical considering that they use Blu-Ray disc's and you'll be downloading 10 GB files.

No hackers as of now hacked the PS3, which I'm sure you already know. Just don't be a bitch about it and complain. Read here.

Edit1: Obvious troll is obvious. Come on. That has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
yuyuyup said:
10 gigs aint shit
10 GB is "shit" as a matter of fact for people who live in countries with caps on their internet. Full Single-Layered Blu-Ray disc can hold 25 GB. Full Double Layered can hold 50 GB. Would you like to download a 25/50 GB file?

That isn't the point, anyway. You complained that they didn't hack the PS3 yet and called the hackers "dumbass". Betcha $900 that "those hackers" are smarter than you. That's also not the point. That was a stupid comment you made before. End of Story.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
Do u wanna know how practical this is... its not actually unless ur familiar with how everything is running and stuff - besides this comment was made by the GSMA who are gonna release a new update anyway
i wouldnt worry though they claim u can eavesdrop on any conversation with 3000$ equipments

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: Chuck your brain out the window, it's useless, use your head instead