Hacking Coming back to my DS after a few years, best flashcart of my three?

shatteredhalo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all,

I just found my DS Lite the other day and a handful of my old accessories and stuff. I have three flashcarts:

R4 Revolution for DS (NDSL/NDS)
Cyclo DS Evolution
M3 DS Real

Are any of these still supported? Which would be the best to use of these three at this point for maximum game compatibility?

Thanks for the tips!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hey all,

I just found my DS Lite the other day and a handful of my old accessories and stuff. I have three flashcarts:

R4 Revolution for DS (NDSL/NDS)
Cyclo DS Evolution
M3 DS Real

Are any of these still supported? Which would be the best to use of these three at this point for maximum game compatibility?

Thanks for the tips!
Like Another World said, the R4 has the highest compatibility but is limited by the lack of SDHC support.
The CycloDS has the best feature set out of the bunch (and supports SDHC) but won't support the later games using anti-piracy. However there are patches available for those games, so if you'd like the extra features the CycloDS offers then it would still work fine given that you patch the games that need it.

Personally I'd probably use the CycloDS. 2GB is not nearly enough space (hell some games are 512MB in size, and a lot more of them are 256MB, so you would only be able to fit a few) and that alone is a big reason not to use the R4, additionally all the extra features of the CycloDS is something I loved back when I still used it, and nowadays I love my DSTWO for much the same reason.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would use the R4 and Wood firmware for the troublesome games that will not run on the CycloDS.

And stick everything else on the CycloDS with a larger card.

Wood firmware is awesome and you will enjoy it a lot! (will probably be your favorite firmware and you will wish it ran on more hardware lol)

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I just bought my second R4i 3DS Gold (RTS) cart from realhotstuff.com, and it got here in two days. paid the full $20 for it, but sure beats waiting 3 to 4 weeks for it just to save a few bucks. My older one was one of the bad Rev C batch, and can't be updated any further, so it's running the "hacked" 1.62 wood kernel, and being used between my DSi and DS Lite, while my new card is just for my 2DS, and rarely leaves the unit. :P

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought my second R4i 3DS Gold (RTS) cart from dealextreme, and it got here in two days. paid the full $20 for it, but sure beats waiting 3 to 4 weeks for it just to save a few bucks. My older one was one of the bad Rev C batch, and can't be updated any further, so it's running the "hacked" 1.62 wood kernel, and being used between my DSi and DS Lite, while my new card is just for my 2DS, and rarely leaves the unit. :P

DX stopped selling DS flash cards a long time ago?

(Just wanting to know out of curiosity, I actually went to DX to double check lol)

Reactions: JayRo

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
DX stopped selling DS flash cards a long time ago?

(Just wanting to know out of curiosity, I actually went to DX to double check lol)

My bad, it was realhotstuff.com, not deal extreme. Got them mixed up.

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My bad, it was realhotstuff.com, not deal extreme. Got them mixed up.

Oh that is awesome, they still sell the M3 Simply (It's R4 by a different name and some transistor turned around or something.)

I still use mine... lol 2GB limit be damned!!! Thanks to Wood it is still a decent card. (If your reading this YWG, I probably have thanked you a lot but again thank you!)

Thank you JayRo too!!! I am still surfing around that page lol hmmm it may force me to dig out my CC.... lol

Reactions: JayRo

shatteredhalo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use the M3 DS Real with RetroGameFan or the R4 with Wood.

Oh, wow... that was a bigger response than I epected. : ) Thanks to everyone for the advice! I had totally forgotten about the 2GB limit of the R4, which is probably why I grabbed an M3 at the time. Was there never a version/clone of the R4 that supported more than 2GB?

Question about RetroGameFan's files: If I use them on the M3, will I still be able to use the Sakura UI? I have to say I'm a little fond of it, it was what I used most in the past.

full-hopeness

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
These three cards are all very old version cards and some of them stop update, recommend you use the r4 Revolution for DS, it is the highest compatibility ,and it can support much games...

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, wow... that was a bigger response than I epected. : ) Thanks to everyone for the advice! I had totally forgotten about the 2GB limit of the R4, which is probably why I grabbed an M3 at the time. Was there never a version/clone of the R4 that supported more than 2GB?

R4s were the target of Nintendo back when they were looking for blood because they were the newest and best at that time. Their company went down pretty quickly but it is very possible that they just created another company or joined the other carts companies. I know there were quite a few claimed 'R4' carts that supported SDHC -- and later DSi -- but I think most were actually AK2/i and DSTT/i clones or very similarly designed.

john9871

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Question about RetroGameFan's files: If I use them on the M3, will I still be able to use the Sakura UI? I have to say I'm a little fond of it, it was what I used most in the past.

RetroGameFan is a YSMenu offshoot with really good compatibility. You can skin it to look kind of like Sakura, but the UI is different. I stopped using the original M3 Real and Sakura software due to issues with compatibility.

Zizzy13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly, I don't see the problem with 2GB limit. How many games can you fully enjoy in one sitting? Unless you're going on vacation, you can always update your MicroSD card with the games you want to play, rather than have them all on at once.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: