comex No Longer an Intern at Apple

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by wrettcaughn, Oct 20, 2012.

Oct 20, 2012
  1. wrettcaughn
    OP

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    Been a couple years since the iOS community has heard from comex. In case anyone was unaware, he'd taken an internship at Apple back in 2010. Well, that internship appears to be over...

[quotename='Forbes']
    Apple’s brief experiment in employing one of the most brilliant hackers to ever vivisect its machines seems to be over.
    On Thursday the legendary iPhone hacker Comex...wrote on Twitter that after a year as an intern for the company whose products he once expertly deconstructed, his time at Apple has abruptly ended. “So… no point in delaying,” he wrote. “As of last week, after about a year, I’m no longer associated with Apple.”
    “As for why?” he added in another tweet. “Because I forgot to reply to an email.”
    [/quote]

As stated in the source, it's more complicated than a single forgotten email. Though, there is also a small nugget of hope at the end of the source article ;)
    He Bannerbombed the Wii. Wonder what he might do to the WiiU...

Thoughts?

[linkname='source']
    http://www.forbes.co...s-out-at-apple/[/link]

2. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    At first I thought. Wow what jerks, and then I read this.

When I followed up with Allegra in a phone call, he explained that the email he forgot to answer was an offer to continue his employment at Apple as a remote intern. At Apple, apparently, offer letters are taken rather seriously, and Allegra soon learned that his had been rescinded. “I wasn’t too happy about it, but it didn’t seem like I was able to fix it,” he says. “So that’s what it is.”

You've got to reply to those type of things. I wonder how long it was that he didn't reply to the email.

1 person likes this.
  3. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    Not replying to an offer to continue his internship seems rather stupid, and the article implies there were other things going on as well. Still, if he really is a legendary hacker and he's going to work on the WiiU, that's a good thing I suppose. (although I wouldn't want it to be hacked THAT soon)

4. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    This is why I don't use twitter: because there is no way to just summarize everything into 140 digits without losing important context.

The article isn't much of an article, really. No one representing apple, and comex isn't adding much either.

I'm not too shabby about the wiiU reference. Yes, he'll be a big contender in the hacker race to first get their "hello world" on the gamepad and/or television. But if it gets hacked too soon, game developers will be more hesitant to create games for it.

5. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    If you don't reply to an e-mail specifically about continuing your internship, don't be suprised when your internship expires, plain and simple.

The fact that he's a world-class hacker doesn't mean that he's not bound by the same rules all interns have to abide by - he's not special in any way and his actions lead to an obvious result, nobody should be suprised by this.

6. Janthran

Member Janthran Solarian

United States
    Someone talk to him about the 3DS please.
    Just kidding.

Kinda.

2 people like this.
  7. wrettcaughn
    OP

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    I don't think anyone is surprised by his departure or by the chain of events leading to it. This news was only posted here because comex created Bannerbomb and I wasn't sure how many members here knew he left the jailbreaking "scene" to intern for Apple. People fuck shit up every day. Comex is no exception.

1 person likes this.
  8. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    ya no love for the 3ds I guess.

9. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    So this guy can hack away on complicated pieces of technology, but he just couldn't muster enough energy for an email?

1 person likes this.
  10. Just Another Gamer

Member Just Another Gamer 星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy

Australia
    Maybe he just doesn't check it. I mean do you check your email inbox everyday?

11. Gahars

United States
    Yeah, because it takes more effort to sneeze than to check on it.

And so what, now he's too lazy to even check his email? I don't think that makes his case any better.

12. Fear Zoa

Member Fear Zoa This... This is the world we live in

United States
    I don't suppose he wants to look at the 3ds? Just for fun...

13. Just Another Gamer

Australia
    I never said it makes his case better did I?

But it is a legit reason why it took him so long to notice that and to reply as well. I mean I check my inbox but it doesn't mean i'll reply to anyone right away.

14. Gahars

United States
    There is a difference between "anyone" and "your employer". If the people responsible for your paycheck send you a message, it's a probably a good idea to not ignore it. You know, probably.

From the tone of your posts, it seems like you're trying to find some excuse for his behavior when it's just not there. He was lazy, plain and simple, and now he's reaping what he sowed.

15. Just Another Gamer

Australia
    True. I'm not trying to find an excuse since it's very clear he was just being lazy but my problem is with the thought of the need to constantly check your inbox and having to read and reply to everyone's mail in time cause it doesn't seem as important to me cause I really don't check at all unless I bought something and want to check its status.

16. duffmmann

Member duffmmann GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Meh, he'll land on his feet I'm sure. Plus Apple is an evil corporation anyway, probably a good thing he got out of there.

17. Gahars

United States
    You do not seem well suited for the corporate environment.

18. Just Another Gamer

Australia
    I know i'm not, i've been told that quite alot. I enjoy working but i'm not much of a people person.

19. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    The fact that there's a better device out there to hack means the 3DS will never get that much attention hack-wise, Yep, I'm talking about the Vita, And maybe the new iPhone.

20. stanleyopar2000

Member stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

United States
    first day they probably pried out the methods he uses to hack and exploit iDevices and then got rid of him.