comex formatter

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by powser, Feb 20, 2010.

Feb 20, 2010

comex formatter by powser at 9:53 AM (2,551 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. powser
    OP

Newcomer powser Advanced Member

I've successfully used the old comex formatter (albeit with 1000000 issues) to revirginize the wii. However i had to take very long detours and stuff due to the WAD implementation in comex formatter. The new build seems to have fixed some of this issues. Can anyone help in compiling this since I can't seem to compile it myself with devkitpro.

2. Wack0

Member Wack0 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    what errors do you get ?

3. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    what serial number do you want to use?

4. powser
    OP

something about powerpc-elf blah. It doesn't seem to be part of the devkitpro's ??toolchain?? so i googled and tried to use a powerpc-elf from somewhere else.
    I still got errors >_>

I'm not a programmer, so I really don't know where I am going wrong.

@giantpune
    Sorry I do not see how my serial number has anything to do with this...?

5. longtom1

Member longtom1 Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen

Antarctica
    did you download his libogc from the github and merge it with your libogc in devkitpro and have you got the environment settings correct

6. giantpune

United States
    um.....are you sure you need to be messing with this then?

when you compile it, there is a set value for a SERNO. Thats 1337 speak for serial number. If you dont mind which serial number gets written to your nand, i can pull one out of my ass and compile a version.

7. Riicky

Member Riicky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    such hostility over a minor 2nd guessing of an answer.....

8. wes11ph

Member wes11ph GBAtemp Fan

Afghanistan
    hahaha... lol (here we go again!)

9. nitrostemp

Member nitrostemp GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
  10. powser
    OP

Why are you blasting off at me? That comment I made wasn't even meant to be offensive. Like I've said, i've used a previous comex formatter before and I am sure it didn't contain my serial number in the compiled file. So obviously I'd thought that my serial number shouldn't be important. If it is you could've like educated me on it instead of shooting me off -_-

Yes i'm a n00b. I don't know shitz on programming all I know is that the old comex formatter worked partially for me but failed several times in installing system wads. Since the new code on github fixes this issue, is it wrong for me to come to this conclusion??

@giantpune
    Thanks for the help, perhaps you could guide me along like how to compile this thing from a stock devkitpro, or is it too hard?

11. giantpune

United States
    i havent used devkit to compile this. im using the mini toolchain. i honestly dont know if it will compile under devkit or not. if you have your heart set on making this, i would say to first just try it in devkit and see what happens. either it will not make a ELF file, or it will make a ELF that doesnt work.

if that doesnt work, you can use linux for the low, low price of free. its one of the few things you are allowed to torrent legally. you can either boot the live CD directly, dual boot with windows, do a wubi install, or run it in vmware. once you have linux running, just run the build script for the mini tool chain and set the paths you want. then grab the nand formatter source and change the serial number to the one you want to use. open a terminal at the folder containing the source and type make. 10 seconds later, you magically have a elf.

EDIT>>
    well i tried to compile with devkitPPC and it compiles, but the linker doesnt know what to do so it doesnt make the elf

12. wes11ph

Member wes11ph GBAtemp Fan

Afghanistan
    me too, i compiled the old formatter from mini toolchain..

13. joda

Member joda GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    Everything libOGC runs under IOS. The formatter runs under MINI (Mini Is Not IOS). Makes me wonder what tool chain it should be compiled under ...

Check http://hackmii.com/2009/05/mini-source-code/ for info on getting it up and running.