Hardware Colors on TV monitor are dark and strange after running some PC games

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,675
  • Replies 2
D

Deleted User

OP
I can reboot and fix it but I'd rather not have to if there's a fix.

I have a Gaming Laptop that I hook up to my TV with HDMI, and the colors are fine on the laptop but look wrong on the TV lots of dark blue coloring which it normally doesn't do.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have the proper colorspace setting on the tv's input? My taskbar icons get blurry after exiting games when playing on my 55" and what fixed that was to set scaling lower than the 50% that was recommended. It's a known Windows 10 bug, Outside of those two things I don't know what else it could be.

Last edited by D34DL1N3R,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Can you post a before and after photo?

Usually the two things that could 'conflict' between a TV and a PC are 'full vs limited' color space (thats sometimes 'auto detected' and could fail). And Chroma Subsampling 4:2:2 (or 4:2:0) vs 4:4:4.

Chroma subsampling wont lead to visible color errors, but to a Font thats fuzzy and not sharp, so we can rule that out.

Here is the explaination for 'full vs limited color space'. 8bit color space (and newer ones through legacy integration stuff in the mindset of engineers... ;) ) has 0-255 brightness levels for every primary color (color is mixed from red, green and blue). This is whats called "full color space". Because on DVDs and Blurays more detail information could be stored without using that entire space, but only 16-235 - with 16 being absolute black (think about this as 'making it 'less HDR'' (without it being HDR.. ;) and without anyone noticing, before HDR was a thing.. ;) ) - limited color space basically became the standard for all video equipment.

While full color space remained the standard for PC stuff (because much of the content was generated on a PC, and not in a Hollywood mastering studio.. ;) ). (Movies usually do a conversion on the fly on the PC based on the video player - or not , and you get washed out blacks (16 is seen as grey and not absolute black (0 is)).

Nowadays all TVs can handle both.

To get into the technical terms -

Usually RGB is used for full colorspace and YCbCr for limited color space - most prominently, when consoles started to use the term 'RGB full' for full color space. But, because thats so fun, now both RGB and YCbCr standards can output full and limited color spaces. :)

So what this comes down to is the following - both your PC and your TV, need to be in agreement which color space they are negotiating. On the PC this is set in the graphics cards control panel, on the screen resolution page. (Set bitrate as high as possible before the screen starts flickering (transfererate issue - either cable or HDMI port related), and then decide to use either RGB or YCbCr in either full, or limited ranges.

Default for PCs would be RGB full - but in some instances, I get better results with YCbCr full or limited -- (depends on the TVs signal handling, i.e. internal 3D Lut table. (How the signal is "transformed" to the TVs native signal format.))

Just make sure, that the TV is set, on that HDMI port (display settings) to display the same color space (limited or full), and maybe set it manually (TVs display settings (usually set for every HDMI port independently)), and dont just leave it on auto.
-

How to test this is using the lagom.nl brightness test in Chrome or Firefox:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

Set brightness to about 100nits (cd/m2). If you dont know how, its usually the TVs default value at round about 50 on the brightness slider. (While an SDR (as in no HDR) signal is displayed.) Make sure that both the TV and the PC are expecting the same color space (limited or full), and look at 'out of black performance'. You'd ideally want to see as many different shades 'out of black' as possible (without the ones close to 1 becoming black (= crushing)). And without your TVs blacklevel becoming elevated (grey). This is usually prevented by making sure, that both the TV and the PC expect the same color space. Sometimes RGB performs better, sometimes YCbCr performs better, sometimes even YCbCr limited is the best option to chose (with the TV also expecting limited).

How the color space option is called on your TV, is hard to tell, manufacturers call it differently. But you are looking for a setting that you can switch between (probably auto and) limited, and full. Under display settings.
--

Other things that could cause this:

You using 4k at 4:4:4, at a high bitrate (10 or 12 bit), and the HDMI port not being set accordingly. Some TVs need you to enable "Ultra HD Deep Color" per HDMI port - to become compatible with that signal bandwidth. Can also be named slightly differently. But usually this would cause a 'no signal' and not a color shift. Also this is ONLY the case if you use 4k at a high bitrate (10 or 12 bit). This TV setting usually switches EDID 'info files' for the HDMI port, 'deleting' compatibility of a few low res signals in favor of enabling the high res one. (That info file has a size limit.. ;) )

You or the game, enabling HDR - in some sense, somewhere. :) Probably related to a bug in switching color spaces 'back' on either your TV or your graphics cards video driver. Or in some device in the chain (in case you are using an audio amp to pipe the HDMI signal through).
This could only be an issue if you use HDR in some sense.

For troubleshooting - remove all unnecessary devices from the chain (connect the PC to your TV directly).
-

Post the two photos, and give a little bit more info. (Do you use HDR? Do you use 4k at a high bitrate?) We should be able to step you to a solution eventually.. ;)

Last edited by notimp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Soon your birthday?