Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
tl;dr: With the removal of Tempstyle Dark, I'm no longer able to properly see and read the text properly, even with NegativeScreen enabled (to swap the eye-piercing blue with puke yellow which doesn't make the text "invisible" to me as opposed to the Tempstyle 2 blue).

Edit: to be clear, I meant creating a new theme for this, not to alter the existing styles. I'm just making sure that I don't anger people because they misunderstand my point.

It would be nice if there was a theme which would be more readable for people with colorblindness/dislexia/anything which hinders people from reading text with specific colors/sizing/spacing on the page.

Here are my idea points:
- Replace the blue with any color which contains the least amount of blue as possible (no blue or pink or purple). The current blue-on-blue color scheme for Tempstyle 2 Dark makes nearly all text "invisible" to me, so I'm using Tempstyle 2 White with NegativeScreen to write this post.
- Increase the contrast where it's hard to notice some elements. This includes spoilers, quotes, borders, and placeholder texts.
- Adjust some spacing and sizing for content elements. The spacing for in-content elements is too inconsistent. The size inconsistency also can make some nearby elements "invisible" next to a too big element. Try to reduce the margin between elements, the padding inside the elements, and increase the border instead (for buttons, at least). The same applies to font size.

Currently I find Tempstyle 2 Dark completely unusable, no matter what color filter I enable. Tempstyle 2 White is much better in that regards that the colors are contrasted enough which makes it much easier to see everything, but the big and inconsistent spacing and sizing still can mislead me quite often, especially on the main page due to the big headers and the big icon tabs. Luckily reading a thread with inverted Tempstyle 2 White doesn't seem to incur any problems while reading, so that's good.

635be04ef1.png
bd18398a14.png
ea0aedde48.png
6c0bd83dd2.png

9e829b6d62.png

Please note that it's not my intention to be a dickhead because my tone of voice might come out very harsh, I just really want to be able to read what I'm looking at without having to use an external program, mostly because my phone is not rootable, so the mobile site is completely unusable since Tempstyle Dark was removed. Also it's a bit annoying having to find NegativeScreen.exe and launch it while wanting to read stuff.

And no, it's really not my intention to shit on the theme, this is just my way of saying that the Tempstyle 2 themes might look good, but are unreadable for some people. In fact, I also had problems with Tempstyle Dark, but it was blue-on-gray, so it was just barely contrasted enough for me to read without complaining. Also there were no big headers, so I was able to read stuff very fluently without having to search the whole page for the continuation of the text.

Last edited by Sono, , Reason: added clarification

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Now tempStyle 2 Black is completed - I have begun concentrating on improving our accessibility options.

I have currently added the open dyslexic font - which isn't ideal (it doesn't seem to render that great) so am looking at alternatives and have also added an option to use a bold font site-wide (can be used in conjunction with that font).

These options can be found in your Preferences

Reactions: Quantumcat and Sono

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Now tempStyle 2 Black is completed - I have begun concentrating on improving our accessibility options.

I have currently added the open dyslexic font - which isn't ideal (it doesn't seem to render that great) so am looking at alternatives and have also added an option to use a bold font site-wide (can be used in conjunction with that font).

These options can be found in your Preferences

Personally I prefer Comic Sans MS because that's the most readable non-monospace font I have tried out of the many. But progress is progress :yay3ds:

Edit: funnily enough OpenDyslexic makes it *harder* to read stuff, so I guess I'll wait for Comic Sans support :P I blame misconfigured text hinting.

Last edited by Sono,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ew comic sans.

If you must have such distasteful fonts though can't you set it in a browser? Buried in the default font option is usually something to say "allow websites to choose fonts". Remove that and set accordingly.

Reactions: Quantumcat

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
Does OpenDyslexic even help? It seems so much harder to read stuff. This seems like a font that should be used in titles only, not everywhere.
(Also, it reminds me a lot of the Team Fortress 2 font. :thinking: )

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Ew comic sans.

If you must have such distasteful fonts though can't you set it in a browser? Buried in the default font option is usually something to say "allow websites to choose fonts". Remove that and set accordingly.

I kid you not, I genuinely like Comic Sans because it's the most readable font I know. I don't give two shits of fuck about how distasteful it is. It's like the back of a phone repair shop, it looks like a fucking mess, yet people are being productive in that small cramped space. It just works.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: