College Rant

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This place is driving me bonkers!

For being this college where a degree from this place is highly looked upon, we sure are behind the times. Back in the 90s, they tried to implement an online registration system so students could register for their own classes instead of having to have an adviser do it for them. They looked at 4 companies who they might have wanted to supply the system to do so. 1 of the companies said they couldn't do it, so that left 3. So, the choices were, the system that 7 out of 11 of the other big colleges use, some smaller company, and a no-name itsy bitsy place. So who do we choose? The no-name itsy bitsy place. So we start shoveling all this money into preparations for their system, and then they get bought out and drop support of the system we were going to use. So, the logical choice would be to just pick someone else and cut our loses right? No, we buy the source code from them and then don't do anything with it. So 5 years ago, they decided to try this again. They look at the remaining 2 companies. Do they pick the good one that 7 of 11 other big colleges use? Nope. So we shovel money into this new system for 5 years and then find out that it didn't quite do everything they said it did. Like letting students do online registration which was the main reason for implementing said system. So now they are doing take 3 on this thing and going with the good company as they have tried all their other options. Genius. Maybe we'll finally be able to register for classes on our own eventually like every other college has been doing for years.

And then their is my management teacher who just doesn't care. It took him over half a semester to finally post any of our grades. So by the time I found out I wasn't doing so hot, it was already too late to drop the class. But even after he posted the grades online, some of mine were still missing. He just didn't seem to care that he lost my papers with replies like "I'm sure they'll show up." No, how about you do your job and find my papers? After another 3 or 4 weeks of daily badgering he finally looked for my papers and posted the grades.

I also have another teacher who updated the grades online yesterday and I see 2 of my projects say 0/40. I e-mail her and she says she wasn't able to open the files. I check my sent box and they pop right open. So, since she couldn't figure out how to click on the filename to open the document, she just gives me a 0 and doesn't say anything. So my A became a C in the class. After argument, she agreed to give me my grades for the 2 projects.

There's more but I'm tired of ranting. Maybe later.

Bitbyte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Wow. What a bitch man
tongue.gif
. Lousy teachers everywhere :/

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Ah corporate false economy, what a pain in the arse you are. My university's student admin system was crap as well, it sort-of worked but was a complete convoluted mess to use. Or so we heard, when it turned up in our "software priojects gone wrong" lectures. The lecturer had worked on it so he spent the whole lecture bitching about it, it was great
biggrin.gif
There was a reason why our department ran on a separate system.

jumpman17

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay, anyone want to explain to me how my math teacher seems to think that 1072 points out of a possible 1140 equals an 83.65%?

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Okay, anyone want to explain to me how my math teacher seems to think that 1072 points out of a possible 1140 equals an 83.65%?
wtf.gif
Dude, what kind of college do you go to? However, it is possible that he curved your mark, I got alot of that in University. A Physics test where I got 112 out of 115, he curved it down to a 86% because half the class got over 90%.

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its amazing what types of decisions colleges will make... considering YOUR trying to learn from THEM

we had a situation where there was some money that was somehow "lost" so they decided to cut alot of the math classes down, and let go of 50% of the instructors (its a damn engineering school). There was a protest in the front of the presidents house (right on campus). he explained that he didnt know about it! Suddenly we got an email saying that they somehow got money to fund the classes.

WTF!?
hate2.gif

jumpman17

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I got an e-mail back from my math teacher. Know what he said? Go see this guy that isn't my teacher and only has office hours on Tuesday and he will show me the calculations.

WHAT CALCULATIONS? You divide a by b and times by 100.

modshroom128

Trophies
Website
modshroom128.imgur.com
XP
Country
United States
This place is driving me bonkers!

For being this college where a degree from this place is highly looked upon, we sure are behind the times. Back in the 90s, they tried to implement an online registration system so students could register for their own classes instead of having to have an adviser do it for them. They looked at 4 companies who they might have wanted to supply the system to do so. 1 of the companies said they couldn't do it, so that left 3. So, the choices were, the system that 7 out of 11 of the other big colleges use, some smaller company, and a no-name itsy bitsy place. So who do we choose? The no-name itsy bitsy place. So we start shoveling all this money into preparations for their system, and then they get bought out and drop support of the system we were going to use. So, the logical choice would be to just pick someone else and cut our loses right? No, we buy the source code from them and then don't do anything with it. So 5 years ago, they decided to try this again. They look at the remaining 2 companies. Do they pick the good one that 7 of 11 other big colleges use? Nope. So we shovel money into this new system for 5 years and then find out that it didn't quite do everything they said it did. Like letting students do online registration which was the main reason for implementing said system. So now they are doing take 3 on this thing and going with the good company as they have tried all their other options. Genius. Maybe we'll finally be able to register for classes on our own eventually like every other college has been doing for years.

And then their is my management teacher who just doesn't care. It took him over half a semester to finally post any of our grades. So by the time I found out I wasn't doing so hot, it was already too late to drop the class. But even after he posted the grades online, some of mine were still missing. He just didn't seem to care that he lost my papers with replies like "I'm sure they'll show up." No, how about you do your job and find my papers? After another 3 or 4 weeks of daily badgering he finally looked for my papers and posted the grades.

I also have another teacher who updated the grades online yesterday and I see 2 of my projects say 0/40. I e-mail her and she says she wasn't able to open the files. I check my sent box and they pop right open. So, since she couldn't figure out how to click on the filename to open the document, she just gives me a 0 and doesn't say anything. So my A became a C in the class. After argument, she agreed to give me my grades for the 2 projects.

There's more but I'm tired of ranting. Maybe later.
fuck the government?

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'll be excited to go to college.
No parental authority, independence, and an apartment of my own.
I'll be able to almost whatever the hell I want to - the only price, education.

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah university sounds really fun in America. I've been out of school for a few years and saving to go, hopefully my university won't be as crappy as yours
frown.gif

make a complaint! that's what I'd do.

Oh yeah! I've chosen to study Neuropsychiatry among other things eventually. Might have to set up a therapy thread at the temp to practice
tpi.gif
It's going to be very hard but worth it in the end. DrCubin'

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo"