Coffee!

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by cubin', Mar 4, 2008.

Mar 4, 2008

Coffee! by cubin' at 4:11 AM (2,636 Views / 0 Likes) 42 replies

1. cubin'
    OP

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    I've been getting into the good ol' coffee lately and bought myself one of these things:

[​IMG]
    Moka Pot

My Italian uncle told me to get one of these and the coffee it makes is sooo much better than the instant stuff I used to drink.

It works like this -

[​IMG]

Water is poured in the boiler (marked A in the diagram) and the funnel-shaped metal filter (B) is inserted. Finely ground coffee is added to the filter.
    By placing the pot on a heat source, the water is brought close to boiling point creating steam in the boiler. A gasket ensures a tightly closed unit and allows for pressure to safely build up in the lower section, where a safety valve provides a necessary release in case this pressure would get too high (with clean filters, that should not happen).
    The steam eventually reaches a high enough pressure to gradually force the surrounding boiling water up the funnel through the coffee powder and into the upper chamber Â, where the coffee is collected. When the lower chamber is almost empty, steam bubbles mix with the upstreaming water, producing a characteristic gurgling noise.
    (wikipedia)

Do any of you guys like your coffee? I used to be happy with the instant stuff but after trying one out of a moka pot I could never go back to that. The coffee it brews is soo much stronger as well [​IMG]

What types of coffee are your favorites? Need some suggestions to try out.

2. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    My mother has the exact same thing. She used it to brew Columbian Coffee, it was amazing.

3. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    I drink coffee at work if I need to stay awake, that's about it. But of course, it's normal office coffee.
    I put 3 packets of splenda and a packet of creamer (usually mocha coffee-mate, but that's not always available).

This is my mug:
    [​IMG]

4. scubersteve

scubersteve Newbie

I found some crazy african grounds from starbucks...
    They seemed to taste okay.

But my favourite coffee by far has to be this crazy foreign stuff my sister brought back from argentina...
    It was so yummy smelling.

EDIT:
    I usually take my coffees no sugar, 1 cream

5. Szyslak

Member Szyslak Nudibranch Lover

United States
    I love coffee. [​IMG]

My favorite is a well-made cappuccino, but my every day drink is just normal drip-brewed coffee. Every once in a while I get out my French Press for a richer tasting brew.

cubin', what you're using looks similar to what I would consider a percolator, but probably produces coffee that is more like Espresso. I'm going to have to see if I can find one of those.

I drank coffee black for most of my life, but I've had to start adding some cream to help neutralize the acid. My stomach isn't what it used to be.

As for types of coffee, I'm a fan of Green Mountain, or there's this great little place where I live that roasts their own blends. I love the smell of that place.

On a side note, I heard that the best tasting coffee in the world comes from the beans that pass through the digestive system of the Indonesian palm civet (monkey / cat type animal). I tried it with my cat, but I can't say the coffee was all that great. The cat's been better too.

6. scubersteve

scubersteve Newbie

Your cat drinks coffee?
    That's probobly the most interesting thing I've heard all month.

7. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    I love to drink coffee in the morning.

I need to buy a GBAtemp mug [​IMG]

8. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    Bleh I hate coffee [​IMG]

9. scubersteve

scubersteve Newbie

[​IMG]
    hating coffee is probobly good for your health though....

10. dakeyras

Member dakeyras GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    There is a plant in this house that starts dying when we stop giving it coffee. Damn junkie.

11. Pici

Member Pici GBAtemp Regular

France
    I'm the ultimate coffee drinker.
    My parents used to give me coffee at the age of 5 or 6.
    Since, coffee has no effect on me, but i really do like it.
    I drink about 7 coffee a day, of all sorts, at the high school I drink 3 or 4 crappy 50 cent coffee but at home I drink good coffee.

A big cup of Nescafé in the morning and when i go back to home I use my own coffeemaker (it is in my bedroom eh)

This one :
    [​IMG]
    All sorts are good, espicially the expresso. (the brand is Carte Noire)

12. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    It's all about Tim Horton's [​IMG]

13. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
  14. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    I can't stand coffee and luckily I don't depend on it.
    I used to have to wake up real early in the mornings all the time and I used to drink a bit of coffee to get keep myself awake (with about 500 spoons of sugar and a liter of milk) but nowadays I manage to stay up the one morning I do have to get up early.
    However any other day doesn't start till 11 am for me [​IMG] .

15. jpxdude

Member jpxdude GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Tried the civet digested coffee, and it tastes like crap [​IMG]

My favourite coffee is starbucks branded Kenya Bold, which tastes awesome out of an expresso machine. Nescafe instant is also good. I thought about growing coffee myself, but for even a few beans to develop, it takes at least 4 years [​IMG]

This thread has inspired me to make a cup of coffee now [​IMG]

16. Little

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    I have the exact same drinks machine as Pici.

I love my tassimo machine. The hot chocolate from it (suchards) is delicious. I love the kenco lattes. Only down sides are that the local supermarkets only do a tiny selection of the pods =(

My morning latte's are my biggest vice though =( Coffee is so bad for you, I wish I wasn't so addicted =( I need it to be awake though.

17. Pici

Member Pici GBAtemp Regular

France
    Litttle I recommand you to try the tea too, the green one is delicious. [​IMG]

18. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Hmm...interesting stuff. You wouldn't think that the method would make much of a difference, but after working with tiny components to fix various machines, I believe it.

I wouldn't call myself a coffee expert, but I loves me some coffee -- good and strong -- that's why I'm willing to shell out for Starbuck's over-priced stuff once in a while as a treat. But something like this would be nice to have in the house. However, I doubt I'd use it regularly, simply because of the convenience of a regular drip maker.

19. scubersteve

scubersteve Newbie

QFT!
    Simply because it costs less than Starbucks.

20. silverspoon

Member silverspoon GBAtemp Fan