Hacking CocoDS :: Rom Manager for OS X

nunofgs

OP
Trophies
Website
nunofgs.fecktory.com
XP
Country
Hi everyone, it's time to let you know that my project is ready for consumption!

The software is called CocoDS and it allows you to manage/auto-rename/copy-to-flashcard your NDS ROMS.
--> The website is at cocods.com.

directive0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
add a rom trimmer and you've got 10 bucks from me
biggrin.gif

*edit*

I see you have one already, I'll be sure to throw some cash your way tonight if I remember when I get home
smile.gif

*edit2*

I really envy those with the chops to write and distribute their own software. And as I'm feeling generous (and stupid, with a credit card bill almost reaching 4+ digits.) I sent you 10 bucks, its not much but it is all I can spare. But this donation comes at a cost, my friend, you need to hear me out on this one. Add some usefull features for homebrew apps aswell, keeping in mind that they often require the transfer of directories aswell, sometimes to the shell of the card. DLDI patching is already available on the mac, perhaps you could add this functionality aswell. I don't want this to atrophy. I understand 10 dollars is not alot towards your goal, but keep in mind its ten more dollars then I spent on any other software this year. Take that as a serious comment towards my expectations and trust in your as-yet-unseen product.

Best of luck, hope you reach your goal.

nunofgs

OP
Trophies
Website
nunofgs.fecktory.com
XP
Country
Wait, did I forget to put that on the site, it DOES have a ROM trimmer. Fully working!

Watch the screencast! You'll see that option on the Preferences window. When I drag a game onto the flashcart, it trimmed the ROM, created the necessary savegames and copied the ROM!
smile.gif

nunofgs

OP
Trophies
Website
nunofgs.fecktory.com
XP
Country
add a rom trimmer and you've got 10 bucks from me
biggrin.gif

*edit*

I see you have one already, I'll be sure to throw some cash your way tonight if I remember when I get home
smile.gif

*edit2*

I really envy those with the chops to write and distribute their own software. And as I'm feeling generous (and stupid, with a credit card bill almost reaching 4+ digits.) I sent you 10 bucks, its not much but it is all I can spare. But this donation comes at a cost, my friend, you need to hear me out on this one. Add some usefull features for homebrew apps aswell, keeping in mind that they often require the transfer of directories aswell, sometimes to the shell of the card. DLDI patching is already available on the mac, perhaps you could add this functionality aswell. I don't want this to atrophy. I understand 10 dollars is not alot towards your goal, but keep in mind its ten more dollars then I spent on any other software this year. Take that as a serious comment towards my expectations and trust in your as-yet-unseen product.

Best of luck, hope you reach your goal.

Thank you so much for that generous gesture!
Homebrew support has always been on my to-do list. I envision CocoDS as a software where you can drag literally every file related to the DS and it will do its thing with it.
So as to homebrew support specifically, I will ABSOLUTELY add it. As I add support for more stuff in CocoDS it will probably become something like the iTunes source list (where you have Music, Movies, Podcasts you would have NDS, GBA, Videos, Homebrew, etc).

However, before I start implementing GBA, Video and homebrew support I have to add patching support for the slot-2 cards like the M3/G6/etc. First and foremost, this product *must* support nearly every DS flashcard out there!

Thank you VERY much for your donation!

nunofgs

OP
Trophies
Website
nunofgs.fecktory.com
XP
Country
Well, it seems this was a monumental failure. People are simply not interested.
I have updated the webpage (cocods.com) with a small text I hope you will all read.

Thank you.

paolo90

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Why not develop for Windows? Are you a Mac-ONLY user?

edit: I mean, there should be a bigger demand for that in Windows, as Windows has at least 75% of the market share
wink.gif
That way yourr program will be demanded more, AND you will be able to get more donations for a Macintel

dkwz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, it seems this was a monumental failure. People are simply not interested.
I have updated the webpage (cocods.com) with a small text I hope you will all read.

Thank you.

Maybe because there isn't much mac users with a flashcart, and, more importantly, no one knows that CocoDS exists!
frown.gif

I just saw this topic and discovered your app, it looks very promising. I'm sure that once released, it'll get more recognition. "Emulation" scene have always been the theatre of numerous fakes/vaporwares, it may be the reason why no major site refused to post your news since no one saw it yet.

I really wish you luck with CocoDS!
smile.gif

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada

Windows already have great apps like Offline list or NDScrc to name a few, Os X don't have anything to manage and/or trim the roms.

What do you mean OS X doesn't have anything to manage and/or trim the roms? What do you think Rominator is?
smile.gif

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=44909

And I'm not asking anyone to pay anything for it
smile.gif
I develop with the community, for the community.

Regards.

nunofgs

OP
Trophies
Website
nunofgs.fecktory.com
XP
Country
What do you mean OS X doesn't have anything to manage and/or trim the roms? What do you think Rominator is?
smile.gif

smile.gif

Regards.

I guess people really didn't understand what I was trying to say. CocoDS isn't shareware. It was also never intended to be released before May. It just got to a point where it was stable enough to be used regularly and I thought maybe people would help out with donations.

I will be releasing it in May as promised and as per my initial intentions. Maybe even sooner if I can finish up a couple of features.

QUOTEWhy not develop for Windows? Are you a Mac-ONLY user?
At the moment I only have a powerbook but I have programmed for Windows and Linux aswell. The problem is that Cocoa (Apple's API and programming environment for Mac OS X) is very hard to make cross-platform. Incredibly hard. Nothing short of a re-write would do it. Even then, there would be quirks.
Most software you see out there that are cross-platform between Mac/Windows/Linux are not native Cocoa/Objective-C apps.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
smile.gif

smile.gif

Regards.

I guess people really didn't understand what I was trying to say. CocoDS isn't shareware. It was also never intended to be released before May. It just got to a point where it was stable enough to be used regularly and I thought maybe people would help out with donations.

I will be releasing it in May as promised and as per my initial intentions. Maybe even sooner if I can finish up a couple of features.

QUOTE said:
At the moment I only have a powerbook but I have programmed for Windows and Linux aswell. The problem is that Cocoa (Apple's API and programming environment for Mac OS X) is very hard to make cross-platform. Incredibly hard. Nothing short of a re-write would do it. Even then, there would be quirks.
Most software you see out there that are cross-platform between Mac/Windows/Linux are not native Cocoa/Objective-C apps.

No worries, I know you aren't asking for money for this. I read the 'Hostage Situation' on your website.

It's just, I don't really think that there's too many Mac users out there that are *really* interested in it. To be honest, your program did spark my interest and I'd feel bad releasing my next version of Rominator simply because the interface has been changed and after seeing your screenshots it looks like we carry some of the same features -- mainly Game Lists feature. It's hard to get people to donate for the cause, and to be quite frank, almost $1500 is a lot to ask for donations.

I hate to be competition, but if you really want to get some attention with the program, get it's basic features finished and release it. I did that, and then just expanded it from there.

But seriously, I love your interface. It's clean, easy, and intuitive. Mine seems very messy, which is why I clean it up pretty much every release
smile.gif

Regards,
--Henry

lostworld

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I created an account just to sing praises for this application! Best Rom Manager hands down for OS X
I have a question though, does the ROM trimming trim in blocks, or does it avoid the wi-fi data (as in the DSLazy trimming method vs. DS-X Manager style trimming)

Rascal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This app looks good and could be a contender. Unfortunately, it keeps crashing on my MacBook Pro running Leopard. Are you going to continue development?

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quite frequent crashes here as well (Leo).

If the crashes were fixed, I would likely use it, as ROM browsing is considerably snappier than in Rominator.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over