Hacking Cobra 7.00 (Unofficial) Implemented into Rogero 4.46 CFW

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
this sound promising i use multiman's ps1 emulator now and again, it would be nice to play ps2 isos from externals maybe i know rebug will do a good cfw so i will wait, my ps3 still on 3.55 but i hardly use cfw anymore anyway.

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it was on that firmware IIRC, granted, I use my Wii for homebrew stuff, not sure how good the emulators are on the PS3 though :D
Retroarch is insane on the PS3. Super Mario World with 6 passes of shaders no problem.

this sound promising i use multiman's ps1 emulator now and again, it would be nice to play ps2 isos from externals maybe i know rebug will do a good cfw so i will wait, my ps3 still on 3.55 but i hardly use cfw anymore anyway.
PS2 isos still only boot off of the internal drive, but don't need to be converted with the ps2classics placeholder or whatever.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Retroarch is insane on the PS3. Super Mario World with 6 passes of shaders no problem.

PS2 isos still only boot off of the internal drive, but don't need to be converted with the ps2classics placeholder or whatever.

PS2 ISO loading as well? Good, then I can back up my PS2 discs again and play them on there without emulation bugs (well, mostly, software emulation for PS2 still isn't perfect).

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emulation is great on the PS3. There is even an XMB mod to load retro games right from it. It is a leaked beta with no support anymore but still fun to mess around with.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emulation is great on the PS3. There is even an XMB mod to load retro games right from it. It is a leaked beta with no support anymore but still fun to mess around with.

Are the apps easy to get to from the home menu or is it a lengthy/tedious process every time. And what about saving save states, a USB flash drive maybe? I know little of the PS3 hacking scene to be honest, I've been primarily Wii (and RetroArch is the best emulator for it, full speed Snes, NES, Genesis, GBC and PC-Engine/TG16 emulation), better than the Virtual Console by a long shot. Knowing me, I'll likely end up bricking the PS3 ROFL!

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PS3 retroarch port is superior to the Wii one at least in terms of shaders&speed (haven't tried rewinding though, Wii is good at that). Also for your ps2 games check this list: http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/PS2_Classics_Emulator_Compatibility_List
Compatibility between that and the cobra method is very similar. I tried a "major issue" game with cobra and it got a little bit farther than what the wiki said but still froze in the same manor.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PS3 retroarch port is superior to the Wii one at least in terms of shaders&speed (haven't tried rewinding though, Wii is good at that). Also for your ps2 games check this list: http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/PS2_Classics_Emulator_Compatibility_List
Compatibility between that and the cobra method is very similar. I tried a "major issue" game with cobra and it got a little bit farther than what the wiki said but still froze in the same manor.

I know it's superior, but the fact they got full speed Snes/Genesis emulation on Wii without frame skip is amazing :P I'll have to find some guides though, plus I'd have to spend money to get one of these downgrading USB dongles.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
most stuff isnt that bad to install. network loading is probably the most complicated item, and really you just have to set your ps3's IP to your PC's IP. not too hard imho.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
most stuff isnt that bad to install. network loading is probably the most complicated item, and really you just have to set your ps3's IP to your PC's IP. not too hard imho.

Do I have to use network loading? My network and wireless is extremely unreliable in my apartment complex (student housing, can't make it better on my end, it drops a LOT). I'd rather not have to use it if at all possible ;) Can't I use a USB thumb drive or am I SOL if I can't use the network/SMB?

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no its just an option. i was merely letting you know what i've found to be the most difficult thing to set up on the ps3!

there actually is no option for network loading of ROMs :( i really wish there was. HDD space is becoming limited as of late on the PS3, I need a 1tb internal, only got a 250 right now.

keep in mind if you do switch over, you need SPACE and lots of it.

to install most stuff, its just a simple PKG and you run it.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no its just an option. i was merely letting you know what i've found to be the most difficult thing to set up on the ps3!

there actually is no option for network loading of ROMs :( i really wish there was. HDD space is becoming limited as of late on the PS3, I need a 1tb internal, only got a 250 right now.

keep in mind if you do switch over, you need SPACE and lots of it.

to install most stuff, its just a simple PKG and you run it.

And it all runs off the internal HDD? So what do I do to actually swap/place files on there, just a USB thumb drive? Sorry for freaking out, I just thought it was my only option is all :P Still, downgrading the firmware can be risky from what I hear (then again, so was hacking my Wii).

Bobbybangin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, those who are on new-ish firmware (not most recent, but 4.xx) versions can't downgrade with this dongle, the install the CFW for emulators and so on?

You have to have a phat model or an slim series. 3000 and 4000 models can't be downgraded. They would have to have come with stock 3.55 or lower OFW. The only options at the moment for 3000 and 4000 models is an odde.

I have a phat BC CECHE01 on this ROGERO/Cobra 4.46 CFW. Mine is backwards compatible, but PS2 ISO compatibility is at about 50% for me. However, I have had 100% success with any ISO I've burned to disc. Even if it didn't work from the internal hdd.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to have a phat model or an slim series. 3000 and 4000 models can't be downgraded. They would have to have come with stock 3.55 or lower OFW. The only options at the moment for 3000 and 4000 models is an odde.

I have a phat BC CECHE01 on this ROGERO/Cobra 4.46 CFW. Mine is backwards compatible, but PS2 ISO compatibility is at about 50% for me. However, I have had 100% success with any ISO I've burned to disc. Even if it didn't work from the internal hdd.

Which I have, I have a PS3 slim from 2011, and it was originally on 3.55 if that. What do I do for the slim model I have, I still need to downgrade the firmware (not on the latest, but more recent than 3.55). I will need a dongle or something to downgrade and then install the CFW?

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Which I have, I have a PS3 slim from 2011, and it was originally on 3.55 if that. What do I do for the slim model I have, I still need to downgrade the firmware (not on the latest, but more recent than 3.55). I will need a dongle or something to downgrade and then install the CFW?
You need a hardware flasher. Best way to downgrade is to pay someone else to do it. Go to PS3 Hax forum. There are a lot of people offering downgrade service.

Bobbybangin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It's not as simple as using a dongle. You would need to use a hardware flasher, something like E3's flahser. Or you could just send it off to somebody that charges a minimal fee for you. I know a few places in the US that does it. But yes, you would have to downgrade and have the CFW installed.

Here is a good link to trusted downgrade providers...

http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=53127

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: xd