• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

CNN Opinion Piece About Being Obese

cots

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with most of your opinions, but here's where I think you're wrong. Those people are not lazy, they are dopamine addicts. Or, if you prefer, simply addicts - as all addictions seem to be about dopamine dynamics after all. Food becomes the favorite source of "satisfaction" (experts could provide a better definition) and through the vicious circle of addiction, it tends to become the only viable source. Overeating is a behavioral addictions which happens to have obvious, visible consequences - as such it's a strong source of shame, which itself is part of the addiction cycle.

Overeating isn't the only cause of obesity. Some people just have poor diets and don't exercise. I had a friend who was overweight, who only ate like twice a day, but his choice in food were lousy and he would spend most of his time playing video games.

cots

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another sad truth is that a lot of poorer families have to resort to whatever's affordable, which is often lacking in any significant nutrition, apart from calories, so kids become obese at a young age as a result, especially when they're not encouraged to go outside and run around or ride their bike.

Considering the average amount of nutrition assistance is far less than what it actually costs to buy the type of food the same people who are giving you the money say to eat I understand the poor aspect. It's really hard to buy fresh produce and healthy meats when 1 meal takes away a large percentage of the money they give you compared to buying ultra-processed junk. Heck, that's if you have an actual kitchen to cook the food in. I understand that the assistance is meant as a stop gap while you try to better your financial situation, but that's rarely the case with people who are poor as most of them are poor for life(tm). If you're not receiving any assistance at all it's even harder to eat properly when you're just eating whatever you can to stay alive. I understand too that it's the parents fault for not encouraging their children to be physically active, but what type of example are they setting by spending hours updating their facebook status or when in public doing nothing, but staring at their expensive phone? I don't care if it's a social norm as there are things as harmful social norms.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh, you--lost 100 lbs, moved to a new place, and then you treat everyone like shit....how nice.

I don't think I'm treating anyone like shit as how I treat people hasn't changed or been influenced by any sort of recent events in my life (which I lost the weight over a year ago), but thanks for paying attention. I treat others based on how I would like to be treated and think I'm a lot more respectful than some other people. I just don't pander to snowflakes so they won't go all bat shit crazy when they encounter the slightest form of criticism or something that isn't politically correct for them. I don't go up to people and tell them they insulted me by having a conversation about something that I wasn't involved due to the fact that the subject matter offended them or start calling people names in public due to the fact I disagree with their opinions. I mind my own damn business.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well, firstly, it's an opinion piece, you don't have to agree with it. Secondly, I struggle to see the relevance of this in relation to 'world news, current events and politics.' At best this seems to be self-congratulatory, at worst it seems to be thinly-veiled fat shaming. Losing weight is not incredibly hard, but keeping yourself from gaining it back can be. Keep that in mind.

The article I referenced was posted on the front page of a political news website, so clearly it has nothing to do with current events or politics, correct? You're correct about losing the weight, it wasn't that difficult, the keto diet is dead simple. The article is justifying not even trying to begin with let alone addressing the second issue - keeping it off. I wonder what type of excuses the author would present to not stick to your diet?

Last edited by cots,
Reactions: Delerious

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tend to agree, if someone is personally OK with being unhealthy and overweight, that is their choice and they're free to pursue that life, but they should not maintain to others that their lifestyle is in their best interest or one that can't be changed. People just want to excuse away the effort it takes to maintain a healthy life, because that requires extra work, and work is harder than doing nothing. I'm not saying we should fat shame people, but we definitely shouldn't be telling our children that growing up to be fat is OK (conversely we shouldn't make them believe they need to be skinny as a rail either, there is large spectrum here, and really maintaining a healthy BMI is what our children should be taught and understood at a young age), nor should we be feeding them fast food and the like on a regular basis. Healthy living starts with yourself, but as a child, you're kinda at the mercy of your parents for awhile, and they too share a responsibility up to a point for how your body turns out in this regard.

Reactions: Delerious and cots

cots

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At best this seems to be self-congratulatory, at worst it seems to be thinly-veiled fat shaming.

So let me guess, next on the agenda is to include simply thinking that being obsese is fat shaming to try to justify not having to take any sort of responsibility for yourself?

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for paying attention.
You're welcome.

I treat others based on how I would like to be treated and think I'm a lot more respectful than some other people.
I'm guilty of fat shaming. Not against other people, but myself. I openly admit I was a lazy, fat, ugly, etc ... When I see obese people (which is every time I leave my house) I do a hella lot of fat shaming in my head though. I'm just not the type of person who would start shit with someone over how they look

I dunno, man; life is brief.....maybe now you'll lead by example and get others to eat healthy and make "positive" lifestyle choices?

If not, then it was a sneaky approach at giving yourself a trophy for the thread--I'm indifferent to the why.

I'd like to know how you do in the next few weeks.

Enjoy my YT recs for ASMR

that's actually a funny mindfuck--get an obese girlfriend who wants to work on getting healthy and motivates you or get a girlfriend who will keep you fat and makes horrible choices, everyday.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The article I referenced was posted on the front page of a political news website, so clearly it has nothing to do with current events or politics, correct?
Correct, not everything they post on CNN's website is about current events or politics. Especially when it comes to opinion pieces. It's literally just someone's opinion, probably not even a writer on their staff. Use your head.

So let me guess, next on the agenda is to include thinking that being obsese is fat shaming to try to justify not having to take any sort of responsibility for yourself?
There is no 'agenda.' Again I simply don't see the purpose of this post, it's like you're combing the web just to find things to be offended about. You don't see me posting about every blatantly stupid opinion piece on Fox News, now do you?

Last edited by Xzi,

Mollycule

Add me on osu~
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anything that makes more money is good, buy that burger, order those pizzas, do what you want with your life, it's yours.

Yes the government is pushing new stereotypes and reinforcing those which are profitable.

On topic:

Being obese is like being a drug addict, drug addicts enjoy the effects of the drugs they take and live out the side effects they bring about.

I would wish it not on anybody to feel the way the fat presses down on the lungs and makes breathing a constant labor.

Neither the shooting pains that run from your heart down the arteries of your right arm and legs.

Not to mention the cancer you're likely going to get.

Each to their own tho, orz.

Live fat die young.

Reactions: H1B1Esquire

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no 'agenda.' Again I simply don't see the purpose of this post, it's like you're combing the web just to find things to be offended about. You don't see me posting about every blatantly stupid opinion piece on Fox News, now do you?

I get it, this is far from the first piece posted on a news website trying to tell the reader that it's OK to be overweight, and it's nothing to be ashamed about, and should be celebrated, etc. etc. Like it's great if an obese person is happy with their body image, but they definitely shouldn't get so caught up with their own self-image that they feel the need to try and make the way they see themselves the way that everyone should see all obese people. Simply put, the lifestyle isn't healthy, and such puff pieces should not be spread around online like some sort of gospel and certainly not promoted by what are supposed to be credible news organizations, opinion piece or otherwise. I'm not saying let's make fat little Billy or fat little Jenny feel bad for their lifestyle, but they shouldn't be reading things or getting told things that give them the impressions that their current path in life is in their best interest (again conversely though, they also shouldn't be getting fed the idea that being skinny as a toothpick is in their best interest either), what CNN and the like should be reporting and promoting, more often at that, are the benefits of living a healthy life and maintaining a healthy BMI, and the various ways that one can do so.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I get it, this is far from the first piece posted on a news website trying to tell the reader that it's OK to be overweight, and it's nothing to be ashamed about, and should be celebrated, etc. etc. Like it's great if an obese person is happy with their body image, but they definitely shouldn't get so caught up with their own self-image that they feel the need to try and make the way they see themselves the way that everyone should see all obese people. Simply put, the lifestyle isn't healthy, and such puff pieces should not be spread around online like some sort of gospel and certainly not promoted by what are supposed to be credible news organizations, opinion piece or otherwise. I'm not saying let's make fat little Billy or fat little Jenny feel bad for their lifestyle, but they shouldn't be reading things or getting told things that give them the impressions that their current path in life is in their best interest (again conversely though, they also shouldn't be getting fed the idea that being skinny as a toothpick is in their best interest either), what CNN and the like should be reporting and promoting, more often at that, are the benefits of living a healthy life and maintaining a healthy BMI, and the various ways that one can do so.
So it's a rant about how some fat people think it's okay to stay fat. Still seems like EOF material to me. Americans have been fat for decades, so this isn't a "current event," it's not news to anybody, and it has nothing to do with politics.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it's a rant about how some fat people think it's okay to stay fat. Still seems like EOF material to me. Americans have been fat for decades, so this isn't a "current event," it's not news to anybody, and it has nothing to do with politics.

Nah, again, I'd say its a rant against pieces like this in general, especially appearing on what are supposed to be credible news sites. Like I said this is far from the first to appear on a site like CNN and in America where obesity is already a large problem, the last thing impressionable kids should be seeing and hearing from what are supposedly trustworthy sources is that living such an unhealthy lifestyle isn't just OK, but should be celebrated. Yes, they may be opinion pieces, but many younger readers and viewers wont pick up on that. I definitely believe this is something that should be addressed and spoken out about. You're zeroing in on this one article as if it's a needle in a haystack, and I wish that were true, but really pieces like this are way too commonplace in American media.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Nah, again, I'd say its a rant against pieces like this in general, especially appearing on what are supposed to be credible news sites.
I'm not picking up on that vibe at all. The title and content of the post would have to be completely different.

Yes, they may be opinion pieces, but many younger readers and viewers wont pick up on that.
And exactly how many children do you think take time out of their day to read CNN articles of any kind, let alone opinion pieces? Not quite their target audience, and AFAIK CNN doesn't advertise inside of Fortnite.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not picking up on that vibe at all. The title and content of the post would have to be completely different.

And exactly how many children do you think take time out of their day to read CNN articles of any kind, let alone opinion pieces? Not exactly their target audience, and AFAIK CNN doesn't advertise inside of Fortnite.

Back in middle school, around 11 and 12 years old every day in social studies we'd start out the class by reading the paper (we'd each grab a paper and read an article of our choosing to ourselves independently), any part of the paper aside from the comics and puzzles, and then different kids would tell the class what they had read and what that means for the town, state, world, etc. etc. If you're in even a decent school system that promotes the importance of current events, then a fair amount of children will definitely read the likes of this, more than I think you're imagining.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
and it has nothing to do with politics.
GGblhtW.png

geHv1Uw.png

I don't think this is so offbase that it belongs in the EOF, because it can at least garner some conversation and thought from members, and at least it isn't the 904th "is abortion bad or good" thread.

Reactions: cots

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
GGblhtW.png

geHv1Uw.png

I don't think this is so offbase that it belongs in the EOF, because it can at least garner some conversation and thought from members, and at least it isn't the 904th "is abortion bad or good" thread.
It's definitely social commentary, but I don't see the political aspect of this regardless of how CNN (mis)labeled it. Fat people aren't strictly liberal or conservative.

Cylent1

Community Smart Ass!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CNN is the most UnTrusted name in the news network! They have all become racist conspiracy theory opinionist's!
They will tell you that is not a cheeseburger you are eating, when you know damn well it is!
And then they get mad and call you a racist and a Nazi for believing otherwise. And to top it all off, the rest of the other so called news stations will agree with them just because it fits their narrative!
And if anybody believes any different, you are part of the problem!

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Back in middle school, around 11 and 12 years old every day in social studies we'd start out the class by reading the paper (we'd each grab a paper and read an article of our choosing to ourselves independently), any part of the paper aside from the comics and puzzles, and then different kids would tell the class what they had read and what that means for the town, state, world, etc. etc. If you're in even a decent school system that promotes the importance of current events, then a fair amount of children will definitely read the likes of this, more than I think you're imagining.
If it's relevant to current events, absolutely. A good social studies teacher isn't going to let you get away with reading from the 'style' or 'for sale' sections, though, and I think the same discretion would apply here.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's relevant to current events, absolutely. A good teacher isn't going to let you get away with reading from the 'style' or 'for sale' sections, though, and I think the same discretion would apply here.

Opinion pieces can definitely be relative to current events, obesity is a problem in America that isn't going away, making it an ongoing current event much like the homeless problem, so it can be beneficial to find opinion pieces on how to deal with such issues, some people can really be insightful and help us think in ways not often considered. But its a double-edged sword, for any great opinion piece there can be 10 pieces of garbage like this. So hell, I'm not even saying kill the idea of opinion pieces altogether, just that they need a way better filter in regard to what gets published or not. Stuff like this isn't beneficial to anyone, and as such should not be published by any news organization's opinion sections, yet time and again they do, and sometimes even venture into actual news sections and not strictly stuck in the opinion section. So again, I think this kind of stuff absolutely should be called out on.

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CNN is the most UnTrusted name in the news network! They have all become racist conspiracy theory opinionist's!
They will tell you that is not a cheeseburger you are eating, when you know damn well it is!

Cheeseburgers don't exist; it's a burger with cheese.

Anyhow, yes, welcome to "what it is".
Fox and friends is the biggest pile of shit I've ever seen and if it weren't for Ann Coulter, I'd just call it, "Hannity Sucks Dick for an Hour".

The best news source I've come across is tied between NHK and BBC world--straight to the point, minus the "this is what I think and so should you"-bullshit.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Opinion pieces can definitely be relative to current events, obesity is a problem in America that isn't going away, making it an ongoing current event much like the homeless problem, so it can be beneficial to find opinion pieces on how to deal with such issues, some people can really be insightful and help us think in ways not often considered. But its a double-edged sword, for any great opinion piece there can be 10 pieces of garbage like this. So hell, I'm not even saying kill the idea of opinion pieces altogether, just that they need a way better filter in regard to what gets published or not. Stuff like this isn't beneficial to anyone, and as such should not be published by any news organization's opinion sections, yet time and again they do, and sometimes even venture into actual news sections and not strictly stuck in the opinion section. So again, I think this kind of stuff absolutely should be called out on.
If opinion pieces had to be thoroughly vetted and fact-checked, they wouldn't be opinion pieces any more. Besides, you can just as easily get a piece published with a contrary opinion. Ultimately the point I'm trying to get across is that I don't think we need a new thread every time somebody finds an opinion on the internet they disagree with, it would quickly become a mess. We should try to stick to subjects that are objectively newsworthy in this subforum.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: H1B1Esquire

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Bout time dude. phew
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    better than what you do in the bathroom, all you do is fart and wank
    +2
    So why were you watchin me do that?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    it's not an eyewitness account, it's just something we all know
    Such Nasty minded people here
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your entire soul and being is nasty
    +3
    okies Then that means ALL of us on here are :tpi:
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I returned
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Me after starting a huge argument:

screenshot_20240322-193132-png.427347
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also wb
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Uh oh... Here comes the noise
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Wow the one who uploaded the pizza tower ost got hacked
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    honestly pizza tower is basically wario land 4 but speed, and it seems like antonblast is wario land 4 with destruction
    +1
    Wait.. @Xdqwerty brought that link here to Our site, knowing it's been HACKED! :angry::angry:
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Antonblast is more optimized than pizza tower
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    My phone has 13% battery
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And i'm not in my house so i can't use my PC
  • linuxares @ linuxares:
    gasp you need to touch grass instead of using the phone!
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @linuxares, I already touched grass years ago
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You mean the doctors hands when you were just being born?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You mean the doctors hands when you were just being born?