Cloverfield

Cermage

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I watched this movie the day it came out and i loved it. the ending was fine as well.

I've found that this movie is a love it or a hate it movie. People hated the end; yet it made sense. People hated the way it was filming; the way it was filmed suited the story. People argued that you don't see enough of the monster; the story doesn't focus on the monster. there is an answer for all the things in the movie, people just didn't like the answers.

If you do like your movie closing up all the loose ends, I'd suggest that you don't watch it but you are missing out on a hell of a lot.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
I saw a preview for this last week and I liked what I saw.
For those who don't know, from what I could make out, the movie is a kind of disaster movie made up from mobile phone camera clips, CCTV etc. and you view it as if all the phootage found after the disaster were put together.
It's not out for a while here in the UK so I'm waiting for a rip to hit the net.
Looking forward to it (btw I didn't know there was a moster involved lol).

IMDB

[-EDIT-]
Note: Theres a FAKE CAM of it floating around on some torrent sites. Just a heads up (thx speech
wink.gif
).

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The movie is actually just from one camera and its view.

I actually haven't seen any trailers or commercials, but I guess the monster is/was a spoiler? But I guess it isn't now that the movie is out...(I didn't really know anything about the movie before I went to go see it but I thought the monster thing was unknown)

I thought the movie was great. Haven't heard people say it sucked but maybe I just haven't talked to many people.

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've only seen that one vague preview on TV, but is this an American copy of the Korean movie called "the Host"?

nloding

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No, it is not "The Host" remade, but it has similar concept.

I LOVED Cloverfield, but I love monster flicks. This one was unique in the way it was presented. You don't see the generals ordering the dropping of a bombs on NYC, but you know it's gonna happen. You don't see much of the monster, but it's not about the monster, it's about these 5 friends who must survive the attack and help each other out.

Edit: Per request, wrapping my next comments in SPOILER tags. I personally don't feel it gives anything away, but just in case.
And the ending makes perfect sense, and is a complete ending (you know what happened to the characters is what I mean). If you don't know what happened to them after the camera stops recording, you didn't pay attention to the dialogue.

Anyway, I adored it. 9 outta 10. But I know people who gave it 2 outta 10.

EN!GMA

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I saw it two days ago, and like you guys I thought it was very well made with a very great storyline.

There were some parts where you could tell it was edited to be PG-13 (i.e. the part where Hud gets owned by the monster, somehow he falls down in one piece), but other parts were very very gripping, especially the part where marlena explodes.

Other than that, the movie was really well structured considering the whole blair witch/cannibal holocaust style of filming. The lack of music was well substituted with natural sound effects, the blowing wind and the beeping/flashing in the abandoned apartments really creeped me out. Overall, this was a really great movie, I recommend this to anyone that isn't sensitive to perceived motion sickness
wink.gif

blu3bird

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
I felt a little nausea at the beginning, but soon got used to the movements.

Generally it was good, but I don't think it will do that well if it was filmed in a normal camera view.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw it Friday and rather enjoyed it. It is best described as Godzilla filmed like Blair Witch Project. Except it's better than those parts separately (at least the Matthew Broderick version of Godzilla... ouch).

It took me and the people I went with about 10 minutes to get use to the jerky footage, after that I was fine, but I can see how some people could get headaches from watching it. Also, this is a movie you really have to see in the theaters to appreciate, if monster movies are your type of thing. It's not going to be the same on DVD, even if you have a gigantic Plasma and a nice 5.1 setup.

If you do go to see it. Stay till the end. The very end. After the credits, X-Men 3 style.

As for the spoilers, those that want to read:
Was HUD funny or what? Marlena's chest burst open like the other body you see on the gurney. Lily was the only one known to have survived. HUD was definately not spit out in one piece, you saw him lose an arm, and the partial chewing makes you think his head and torso got separated from the rest of his dismembered body. If you waited until the end you would have found out that at least one person survived under that bridge and the monster is still alive

And The Host was good, I rented that a few weeks ago, a nice combination of dark comedy and monster movie mayhem. Oh, and some anti-Americanism thrown in for good measure.

Akoji

+5 internets to psyfira for avatar.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I saw it on Friday when it's came out! I liked the movie, and now with that little surprise at the end... can't wait
smile.gif

But maybe the ''It's Still Alive'' message is hinting that the backstory will be finish by the viral part of the story that they made on the internet, and im happy if it's that since me and my friends followed the viral backstory since 9 months.

Or maybe there will be another film, with normal camera work, where the focus of the film will be fighting the monster.

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw the movie when it came out. I watched it at night and it was jam packed. I had to sit up close near the screen and it made me so dizzy I wanted to puke. The camera shook non-stop, I don't blame the camera, I blame myself for going too late lol.

I liked the movie, but not loved. Ending was okay to me. It had its good parts and its bad. The trailer was awesome ( I enjoyed the trailer more than the movie actually lol ). But its not something that I would watch twice.

sonicstorm

Gamertag: Calogero91 add me.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I saw it on saturday and I must say it was one of the worst movies I have ever seen, next to it being so short the horrible camera angles made me sick. I did not enjoy, and I do not recomend it, worst movie I have seen this year.

TheStump

Got Wood?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As a film student this film for me was really great. I appreciated it on another level. The way it was shot, the lighting throughout the film look great for two reasons; it simulated as handheld environment and look very cinematic.

Honestly i've been thinking of an idea much like the way this was film but hadn't had a chance to bring it to life, in that respect im a bit pissed i got beaten to it but am really inspired and took alot away from seeing this film.

Also loved the multi layered tape with another less important (or is it) story we get to see glimpses of.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The fact that this movie is shot like handicams is what is stopping me from watching the movie. I don't want to get sick while watching a movie.

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I saw it a few days ago and I really liked it. Definitely a love or hate kind of movie.

Don't go and watch it if you need your movies to answer all your questions, some are best left for you to make up on your own. My wife hates it and she bitched at me the entire trip home that the movie sucked.

I highly doubt there will be a sequel that answers the questions, the movie was directed by the Lost director and you never find out squat on that show.

I didn't get sick at all watching the movie and unless you suffer from bad motion sickness then I imagine you would be fine. My wife gets motion sick from car travel and she watched the movie without getting sick at all.

hamchan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Movie was quite good.

I heard people got sick from watching it though, all the jerky movements.

I think there definitely won't be a sequel, the movie wasn't really about the monster after all, it was about the people.

What was the surprise at the end of the credits btw?

EDIT: Nevermind I googled it
smile.gif

dexmix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
loved the movie. can't imagine there being a sequel. the most pressing questions have been already answered in the movie. but what happened after the credits?

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I saw it on saturday and I must say it was one of the worst movies I have ever seen, next to it being so short the horrible camera angles made me sick. I did not enjoy, and I do not recomend it, worst movie I have seen this year.

See, I hate when people say the movie sucks and don't give any decent reasons.

I think there definitely won't be a sequel, the movie wasn't really about the monster after all, it was about the people.

What was the surprise at the end of the credits btw?

EDIT: Nevermind I googled it
smile.gif
You still think there won't be a sequel?(I guess that could just mean nothing though)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr