The Neautral Gamer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Consoles1.jpg

Sony was quick to shoot down rumors that a PS4 would be announced at this year's E3, but things just got a lot more interesting all of a sudden, as cloud gaming service Gaikai has commented that one of the current console manufacturers actually won't be creating another console for the next generation. Speaking during CES 2012 , Nanea Reeves, chief product officer for Gaikai, predicted, "Not all of the current console makers will have one more generation. That will be the big news at E3."
If true, wow. With Wii U guaranteed to launch in 2012, that means it's either going to be Microsoft or Sony. Our take is that it's probably Sony because financially the company would have a tougher time with the huge R&D and manufacturing for yet another new console.
Beyond that, it's easy to speculate that perhaps Sony is working on some major cloud gaming partnership with Gaikai instead of devoting resources to another piece of hardware. We'll bring you more as we hear it!

Source

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
How about you post what my cat thinks about Sony in your next topic? At this point it seems you've totally lost focus on what counts as news, what counts as trolling and what's just plain stupid.

Random comment, posted by random company no-one's ever heard of, saying practically nothing of any real substance. Fantastic now i feel really well informed.

Reactions: 3 people

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
If anyone switches to cloud gaming, it will be Microsoft, not Sony. But I doubt it will happen in the next generation. I think both the PS4 and the Next box will still be physical consoles.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think I will second Veho for this- if nothing else whatever futurist back in 2004 predicted the rise of the internet mainframe and if not penetration then infrastructure capability for such things....... yeah not to mention there is probably some serious funding and more sunk into R&D for this (I would not be shocked in the slightest to see some fabs in the early stages of gearing up for this and if research was not started around the time of the 360/PS3 launch then someone should have lost their job).

I doubt not doubt there is a major change coming (see the somewhat shaky start the 3ds and vita are having with fingers being pointed at mobile phones for a possible prelude or further back the demise of arcades) and it will be at least a great departure from the norm to those with some years into this gig (I originally said shocking but that would imply a rapid turnaround where I predict this will be evident for those that look) and there is a distinct possibility that it will be heavily internet based (full streaming is one thing but I am not convinced it can carry itself by itself at this point nor in the very near future- if I had to guess I would say option there for the long term to stop things looking long in the tooth for a bit). To that end as I am far too lazy to bother looking right now is Gaikai gearing up for an IPO/new round of venture capital or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Push it :creep: