Clones now safer than official Gateway firmware. Ironic?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by spinner09, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spinner09
    OP

spinner09 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    So, a few days ago, 3DSlink and r4i both released firmware that isn't effected by Gateway's bricking code. Considering the many reports of legit Gateway users getting bricked because of the malicious code, doesn't anyone else find it ironic how the clones are now the safer cards to use? The very code that Gateway added to screw clone makers is now screwing Gateway users instead.

Edit: Yes, I am aware that r4i and 3dslink newest firmware is just a repack of older firmware, without the brick mechanism. My only point was, if you keep your clone device updated, there's a zero risk of bricking yourself now. Gateway fanboys keep spewing nonsense about all clones bricking, which is untrue if you use up to date firmware.

2. Rinth

Rinth GBAtemp Regular

Oct 18, 2013
    New Zealand
    The clones' newest firmware is actually just their old firmware. Gateway users can also simply use old firmware. Here's the difference:

If you update to the newest firmware (2.0b2 copy) as a clone, you will brick 100% of the times.

On the other hand, if you update to the newest firmware as Gateway, you will have a chance that is significantly less than 100% to brick your Gateway, assuming the claims are actually true. Further, you get free replacement if your 3DS does brick.

You should go back to China and learn some basic probabilities.

3. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    they didnt patch out the so called brick code, all they did was repack old firmware which is gateway 1.2
    you can do that gateway too, just use 1.2 or 2.0b1

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    A new day, a new (50) Gateway thread (s). The staff should really designate one thread for this mess, this has the makings of a mini-Pokeflood.

mr. fancypants, juins and Joe88 like this.
  5. Cybore

Cybore Member

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2007
    United States
    Thread is misleading. Gateway users are equally as safe if they use older firmware.

6. carecu

carecu Newbie

Newcomer
    May 17, 2009
    where I can download these firmwares (1.2 or 2.0b1)? I didn' t see the links on the website of Gateway

7. Cyberdrive

Cyberdrive GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2013
    Serbia, Republic of
    I find it ironic that pirating pirates respond to being pirated by other pirates with killing unrelated customers of pirates' pirates along with their own customers, present and potential.

Punkrox, dc740 and thecourier like this.
  8. spinner09
    OP

spinner09 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    You'd have to be a fool to believe that Gateway would ever send out free replacements to anyone. They hastily made a vague promise to do so the other day only to save face in the light of all the brick reports.

Nice ad hominem. What does Gateway's sphincter smell like?

thecourier likes this.
  9. mhss

mhss Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2014
    Poland

Are you an idiot? Yesterday in one of the threads you said the same thing, that R4 patched bricking code and people told you that R4 didn't patch anything, they re-released their old firmware based on GW 1.2. Today you are creating a new thread and again claiming R4 released patched firmware without brick code. How many times people have to tell you that you should educate yourself and follow what is happening in the forum and that the firmware from R4 is A REPACK OF OLD FIRMWARE based on GW 1.2. R4 didn't patch anything, so stop spreading lies. Ow, hey, you really should go back to china because you are one of R4 shills who spread misinformation.[/quote]

10. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    It's not 100% actually. More like 6.25%.
    But yeah they patched jack shit, they just uploaded an old version as if it was new.

11. morvoran

morvoran GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2010
    United States
    Even if the mods did designate one thread, noobs and people thinking they have "breaking news" or important information that needs its own thread will still create separate threads. This thread is a prime example.

12. cateater1

cateater1 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 26, 2010
    cheshire
    Another starter thread, get hold of yourself op things are getting sorted now.

13. justinkb

justinkb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 7, 2012
    Netherlands
    More misinformation. It never ends.

14. mr. fancypants

mr. fancypants that´s ´Sir´ for you!

Jul 16, 2013
    Netherlands
    right here, right now

so 3.3 shoeld brick 100% ??? i used it for a while and restarted my 3ds yesterday and it still works fine

15. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Fearmongering. The brick code has to be triggered first. If you revert now, you'll be fine.

16. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Pretty much what Foxi said. Either use 2.0 or 3.3b. You're safe as long as it hasn't bricked yet, but the chance is fairly high with 3.1-3.3.

17. mr. fancypants

Jul 16, 2013
    Netherlands
    right here, right now
    yes i know that but it strange that i hasnt began direct bafter the releases ( ticking timebomb)

18. Schizoanalysis

Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Jun 23, 2009
    This thread is pure fail.

cateater1 likes this.
  19. mr. fancypants

Jul 16, 2013
    Netherlands
    right here, right now
    duuh and 50 per day so gateway better hurry with version 2.0 (the real 2.0 no betas anymore)

20. Axel Killer

Axel Killer GBAtemp Regular

May 3, 2013
    United States
    aw great another one of these threads e,e

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.