Cliffy B: Games Industry in "State of Turmoil"

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Feb 26, 2013.

Feb 26, 2013
  1. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Cliff Bleszinski, better known as Cliffy B, has been a prominent figure in the games industry. He played a huge role in Epic Studios, the team responsible for Unreal Tournament, Gears of War, and a little thing called the Unreal Engine.

You've probably never heard of it.

Anyway, he's a highly respected developer (heh, heh, high, Cliff, heh, heh), and one with a lot of respect and influence. So when he says that the games industry is currently in a state of turmoil, well, people tend to listen.
    Jeez. Cliffy B pessimistic.

To be fair, though, it's not all doom and gloom.
    [​IMG] The Escapist

Later on, he said that he's not quite ready to jump back into the industry - for the time being, he'd rather sit back and observe, all mysterious-like.

With the PS4 and the next Xbox on the horizon, along with the uphill battle the Wii U's faced, there is certainly a lot of uncertainty facing the console market. Everything from the development of games to their distribution is undergoing a metamorphosis right now, and there may be no telling what will finally emerge from the cocoon. We live in interesting times, to say the least.

With that said, do you think his outlook is reasonable? Or will it all prove to be... unreal?

[M]artin and chartube12 like this.

2. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I preferred Epic when they did things other than shooters.

Jill of the Jungle was class.

Ron and chartube12 like this.
  3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I think it's reasonable. Minecraft has sold 9 million copies just on the PC, Terraria sold 200,000 in it's first week... yet for the console versions, the original developers handed that off to other people, or other companies because they didn't want the struggle of doing it. The console makers want those kinds of sales without having to spend dev money themselves, but some of the people making these types of games don't have the time, energy, or money to develop for the console initially (or at all for the first two aspects).

Making games easy to develop for your system is important (hopefully Sony has taken that to heart!), but it's not all technical hurdles, some of it is what is and is not allowed, human-set rules and regulations.

Also knowing what your users want is an aspect of it too, but this discussion already happened when Greenlight came to Steam.

Veho and chartube12 like this.
  4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Sit back and watch the carnage.... sounds like a plan.

B-Blue and RodrigoDavy like this.
  5. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    +1 for the PC gaming part, -1 for the iPad gaming part, +1 for the indie and user-created content part. This is simply because while gaming on the iPad is extremely popular, the games and controls are still in their infant state. I can see a lot potential in it, but still dedicated gaming devices (read: devices with game controllers integrated à la PSVita, 3DS and dem Android consoles (among others)) have their market, at least for now. Indie and Homebrew is an easy way to get people to dev on the platform and it can create quick revenue (Apple 30% model for the AppStore).

triassic911 likes this.
  6. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    I'm sort of thinking in the same lines. In the end, it's not that unlikely that the indy games of today will become the mainstream games of tomorrow. There aren't any major breakthroughs anymore on the field of graphics, and the breakthroughs of past generations were mostly to camouflage that the gameplay was the same from the generation before that. It's only a matter of time before at least one of the major 3 console makers will bomb hard enough to make the others rethink their strategy.

CliffyB thinks it'll be nintendo. I disagree...but I have to admit I'm prejudiced. And I could certainly be wrong. They have apple to compete with in the casual department, and they'll soon have the ouya (and perhaps even the steambox) to compete on the cheap games department. And that won't make things easy to market the wiiu or the 3DS (especially not with those lousy names).

7. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    Honestly I doubt Nintendo will be going software only anytime soon. Even if the WiiU flops, the 3DS is selling insanely well in Japan at least and certainly not doing bad in the rest of the world. That coupled with the money they made from the Wii and DS should give them enough to last for a while.

8. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    How many times are we going to hear that Nintendo going be a software company only just for that to be
    wrong?

"major blows"
    Like what exactly? He said they should make it easier for indie devs, but that doesn't explain that or
    does that mean they are going to fail?

Which I doubt.

9. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    he's right, current gen gaming is going to the shits, gaming is now about corporal greed and fucking over the end consumer till they have no rights left, how much more will gamers take of this ass pounding from the corporal fat cats higher up?

triassic911, totalnoob617 and XDel like this.
  10. zanfire

Member zanfire GBAtemp Regular

United States
    though greed is fricken rampant and I've had my fill of damned sequels, it's far from doing bad, in fact systems overall have sold more than ever before. It's time for a new gen and some new ideas...along with the end to some of these shady practices like microtransactions/day one or earlier DLC/online pass/season pass/preorder maddness (though I seriously doubt it will, in fact I'm inclined to say it will get worse and worse)

Now it's just spreading to more casual folks who didn't really play on consoles anyways and instead to be on smartphones and whatnot.

11. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    "Corporal Greed"
    Any relation to Major Mucus from Earthworm Jim?
    [​IMG]

RE: no graphics advancements. My three thoughts on the matter are
    a) Major advancements are one thing, however major advancements in most technical fields are tempered by many people filling in all the cracks between them.
    b) There are still some pretty nice advancements in graphics texturing, combining graphics with physics, proper shadows, power requirement workarounds and more.
    c) Question- have you seen CGI in modern films? You could be playing a game like that in the not especially distant future.

Advancements in games- in a world where every other game has RPG elements and fusions of gameplay styles is more and more commonplace (I am hoping the term roguelike elements becomes as commonplace)?

On tablets and such like- I figure I can play emulators on them which has "games" sorted and as flash games and solely mouse driven games have existed practically forever.....

All that said- let it burn.

12. XDel

Member XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

United States
    I'm kind of optimistic. I'm hoping that when the PS4 and new XBOX comes out that there will not be much a market for them. Reason being is that I hope that people (they like to refer to them as consumers) will become a bit more consumer conscious and will not feel the urge to pay the heave prices for gaming machines that basically are just going to be offering more of the same, except with better graphics, and the ability to cram more into a large open space without slow down.

Honestly, with the current generation hardware, I think there is still a lot to be content with, and I feel there is more than enough horse power in these machines to churn out some impressive titles. All it really just comes down to having a unique plan, a love for gaming and game development, and the finances to back the projects.

Of course when I mention impressive games, I am not referring to a game that is more visually appealing than the last. Graphics are good enough, what they need to do is just become innovative again, create something that is a blast to play even if it were in 256 colors and using 16-bit graphics. If developers could get in that mind state, they could save them selves. Likewise they would not necessarily have to spend so much money on these huge teams who spend all their time pushing to make their virtual realities look more and more like ours. A little free form art could go a long way!

Granted, there are a few titles coming out that do focus a lot on pressing the graphics and what not to the next level that I'm not sure would be the same if they did not. The new BioShock (or what ever it is being called) would be one fine example of that, but honestly, does every game have to be Bioshock, Call of Duty, Mass Effect, and this and that? And again, don't these titles look good enough as the are? Laying down a buttload of cash just to have my games look a little bit sharper really isn't going to do it for me, it's not going to keep me coming back, and it is not automatically going to make the game any more fun to play. At most the only practical advances I see coming with the new hardware would be the ability to push the AI even further, but then again, I got a PC, why do I need to buy a new console? My PC can handle crazy AI and graphics just fine.

Of course, as Jalaneme says, it's just going to further these companies butt raping agenda, and it will be the foolish consumers with their crack head/fan boy mentality that are going to pay for it...

...which I guess is their choice, but really, will they have the money to pay for it? I know I don't so I'm going to be content with what I got, and later down the road I'll prolly pick up a WiiU for the new innovations and later a second graphics card for my PC, but that's as far as I'm going.

jalaneme likes this.
  13. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Amen.

I've had a conversation on the topic a little while ago so I'm just gonna quote it here:

Turmoil good.

14. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Call it right now, the day Nintendo does software only, is the day gaming dies.

ferofax, The Catboy, 2ndApex and 4 others like this.
  15. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Nintendo only covers a very small portion of what's generally considered "gaming". Many "gamers" don't give two flips about Nintendo or their products, y'know.

16. Engert

Member Engert I love me

United States
    Unfortunately I'm gonna have to agree with you there but I'd like to up the ante and go as far to say that the day Bioware makes a game with a great ending, it's going to be the day that gaming will be changed forever.

17. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Same thing was said for Atari and Sega.

Gahars likes this.
  18. XDel

Member XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

United States
    Except in the hand held market apparently.

You didn't like the ending to Knights of the Old Republic?

19. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    I'm willing to wager that there are more Smartphone owners than there are 3DS owners. I'm also willing to wager that most of them game on their phones, even if it's only Angry Birds. (Unless you mean handheld console, but you didn't specify that)

20. gamefan5

Member gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Canada
    Yes, as if they'll only buy a smartphone just for that. I don't think it's fair to compare smartphones sales, to a handheld focused 95% on gaming.