Clicking X on "New alerts" goes to top of page

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Seriel, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Seriel
    OP

Seriel Worshipper of Skiddos

Aug 18, 2015
    Hard to explain this one because I never know when I'll get alerts but:
    You know when you're browsing through a thread and you get an alert? It shows a box in the bottom left saying you have new alerts? Well if you click the X on that box to get rid of it and continue browsing a thread it moves you all the way to the top of the page! This is kinda annoying when I'm browsing through a page and want to get rid of it so I can carry on, and I'm thrown back to the top and lose my place. Usually I just go do something else because I lost the flow of reading. Or when I remember, I wait for it to get out the way so I can keep on reading.

This happened with the previous style and also happened with the new one, so its neither a "bug" per se, or a new style change, but it started bugging me again so I thought I'd bring it up.

Quantumcat and shaunj66 like this.
  2. smileyhead

smileyhead Bow ties are cool.

GBAtemp Patron
    smileyhead is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Budakeszi, Hungary
    just a quick side note: you don't have to click the X for it to go away - it'll disappear by itself in about 5 seconds.

3. Dionicio3

Dionicio3 GBATemp's Official Skiddo™ | Founder of Skiddoism

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    This doesn't happen with me

4. Seriel
    OP

Seriel Worshipper of Skiddos

Aug 18, 2015
    Yeah I am aware, I even said that sometimes I get bored and wait for it to go away.
    Call it habit, but I always click away distractions when reading, and I don't appreciate being booted back to the top of the page

5. shaunj66

shaunj66 Administrator

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    United Kingdom
    South England
    You must have quick reactions to catch that alert in time let alone click the 'x'! I'll see what I can do.

Minox and Seriel like this.
  6. shaunj66

shaunj66 Administrator

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    United Kingdom
    South England
    I've tried to reproduce this but can't and there's no reason for it. Can anyone else confirm or can you check any browser extensions you're using aren't interfering with the notification? Do you have noscript installed? Otherwise, there's no rhyme nor reason why it should send you to the top.