Clear plastic case with a protective skin problem

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Omoikane1979, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Omoikane1979
    OP

Member Omoikane1979 GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Did anyone experience any sticking problems when using a BestSkinsEver or any other skin sticking to the Clear Case (Hori, Capdase not a cheap product). I already bought a Capdase Clear Case, but I am doubting whether I should buy the BSE skin. This is because I read in a post somewhere that the skin might stick when you put it in a plastic case.

Another thing I wish to know is how the DS lite with protective skin fits in the clear case and whether the clear plastic case from Hori, Capdase and such are scratch resistant or not.

I tried finding the answers by Googling, but couldn't find any. Hopefully someone can help me out. Thank you and God bless you.

2. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    Yes they will fit together. A while ago somebody posted an image of his Navy DS like that, but according to him, the fit was a bit tight

3. Omoikane1979
    OP

Netherlands
    All right one down two to go; now all that's left is:
    1 - whether the skin will stick to the clear case or not;
    2 - whether the case itself is scratch resistant or not.
    3 - and if anyone knows whether it will protect the DS lite itself from shocks that would be great.

4. 4saken

Australia
    The top of the skin will not stick to the clear case (unless you mean whether it will stay on, yes it will).

The case itself is not scratch resistant. But it should do fine against most objects.

It will not protect the DS Lite from shock. There is nothing to absorb shock (eg. foam, crumple zone) so the energy passes right through.

5. Omoikane1979
    OP

Netherlands
    So the skin will stay on the DS lite and the top won't stick to the clear case.

Does most objects include semi-sharp items such as keys?

So what would you recommend to protect a DS lite from shocks? A silicon or rubber case?

6. Omoikane1979
    OP

Netherlands
    I just received a reply from BestSkinsEver on skins combined with hard cases (copied below). Anyway judging from his reply I will have to make a choice either a skin or a good hard case or just try my luck by using both:

Many of these hard cases generally do not allow enough room to fit the
    device with the Skin applied. The Skin material can also tend to
    "suction" itself to other smooth surfaces making for a difficult
    separation.

Best Regards,

Michael Herring
    President
    www.BestSkinsEver.com

7. 4saken

Australia
    You can take it off in the end. It will be no problem, but it may require a bit more force.

8. Omoikane1979
    OP

Netherlands
    I take it you are talking out of your own experience? If so, that is quite a relief.

9. jusane

Newcomer jusane Member

Canada
  10. Omoikane1979
    OP

Netherlands
    To Jusane:
    Wow I guess there are differences between one plastic case and another. I have read the Black Horn's clear case is also made of polycarbonate just like those of Hori.

Just to make sure you filed the 'clips' of your plastic case but kept the BSE skin on your DS, am I correct?
    And is your plastic case already scratched?

I'll tell you whether the Capdase clear case will close completely as soon as my order from Play-Asia arrives. For now I am glad I delayed ordering my BSE skin.

11. jusane

Newcomer jusane Member

Canada
  12. Omoikane1979
    OP

Netherlands
    To Jusane:
    So now you use the DS lite without the top lid of the plastic case, I guess that means the BSE is doing a good to decent job.

Since your plastic case is scratched up a little it means it's better suited for showcasing, well Black Horns plastic case are of my wish list then.

I'm sorry to say I haven't seen my order with the Capdase plastic case yet. That makes it 14 days of waiting for my order from Play-Asia via registered airmail. I hope it won't cross the 3 or 4 week waiting time.
    Anyway as soon as I have it I will inform you on the details of the Capdase plastic case.

13. Omoikane1979
    OP

Netherlands
    Well my order finally arrived, below you can find the photos of my DS lite with Capdase Skin Guard which cover the top and bottom with the Capdase Clear Case for extra protection. It closes completely in my opinion.
    It doesn't have the sticking problem which occurs when using a BSE skin, in other words you don't need much force to get it out of the case. [​IMG]
    All in all I find the protection is quite good although the clear case will have smudging and fingerprint problems, but at least it's not on my DS Lite. [​IMG]

In short I have:
    * a Capdase Skin Guard on the top and bottom of the DS lite
    * a Capdase Clear Case for all around protection of the DS lite which: fits snugly and closes completely and has some silicon which unfortunately doesn't cover the hinges completely (just about 5 mm short)

Hope this info will be of some help to you guys reading this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Omoikane1979
    OP

Netherlands
    I forgot to say the Capdase Clear Case won't allow you to use some dust protectors (at least my current ones are unusable), but I think this is true for most cases that fit around a DS Lite. I also am unable to find any clips on the Capdase Clear Case whatsoever so that's a plus for those who don't want to worry about clips damaging your DS Lite should you need to take it out. [​IMG]

15. jusane

Newcomer jusane Member

Canada
    looks great man. good job!

16. Omoikane1979
    OP

Netherlands
    Thanks, it's the first time ever shooting photos like that. Glad it went without much trouble. By the way you own 3 cases. Could you tell me more about those like how they fit, and how they stay on?

17. 4saken

Australia
    You don't need to protect your DS that much [​IMG]

18. Omoikane1979
    OP

Netherlands
    Yeah I know, but I am a bit more protective of my DS Lite than my DS. The cause is the glossy finish on the DS Lite it makes fingerprints even more visible and such.

19. jusane

Newcomer jusane Member

Canada
    yeh the three cases i have are:

- the black horns plastic case

while the other two are just a soft pouch and a big airfoam case where you just put the entire dslite in. im going to sell that airfoam one [​IMG]

20. Omoikane1979
    OP

Netherlands
    I see. I thought you meant three plastic cases. [​IMG] Kinda silly of me. Beside the capdase clear case I also have a Hori DS 'pouch' and another DS Lite carrying case supposedly made by Keys Factory (the latter one was bought at dealextreme). When it comes to taking a lot of stuff I use the latter one. When I don't need to bring my adapter and stuff I use the Hori DS 'pouch'. I find it quite a pity they aren't manufactured anymore I really like the Hori one. In fact had I known I would have bought two at that time.