Hacking Homebrew Cleaning up sysnand to go online

jerrokun

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a launch Switch. I used it online briefly when I first got it, but I then kept it offline in the interest of a potential coldboot exploit.

When hacks became available, I created an emunand and have barely touched sysnand since then. I have homebrew and hacking on emunand, but have never run any homebrew apps on sysnand. Both kept offline.

I want to reconnect to the internet on sysnand, update to the latest firmware, and play games I've bought physically online. I'm worried about my sysnand potentially being flagged for a ban.

In the past, I've unintentionally had my Hekate launch settings overwritten, and accidently launched into sysnand with CFW enabled. It booted back into sysnand, and I immediately shut down and did nothing homebrew related. Even so, I'm not sure what those Hekate settings actually did, and if the sysnand would have changes or logs that would flag a ban.

I plan to:
- remove the microsd card with everything emunand related
- factory reset on sysnand to completely wipe everything
- on sysnand, connect to the internet
- confirm there's no ban by accessing the eshop
- log back into my Nintendo account
- reinsert microsd card, continue to use emunand for offline play

Does that sound correct? If there was anything flagged on sysnand, will doing this system restore fix things?

Reactions: momoa

Krazyeye

Hellooo Nurse!
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Most likely, I'm 90% sure your sysnand is already BANNED for online use (including eshop).
I have (2) launch Switches that were online briefly just to link my nintendo ids.
After 2 years passed, I was just curious and went online to check the eshop. And guess what? yep I am BANNED.

Only way to find out is to go online yourself and see if you can access the eshop.

• Haha
Reactions: Chaosta

x3n0

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I went online in SX OS by mistake and did not play, run, install any games or homebrew there about two years ago. Not banned yet, but you never know.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
There is no way to "clean" a sysnand and go online without a Ban, because The Big N saves your logs and states on their servers, so if you connect a system with the same ID and different logs that is a instant ban, and is impossible to leave your system on the exact state it was when connected last time.

pinbi7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
you could restore the backup of your sysnand before you hacked it and it should make it "clean" that's what i did when i switched to emunand so my sysnand has always been clean and i'm still not banned. I play online every so often

no guarantee tho

jerrokun

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most likely, I'm 90% sure your sysnand is already BANNED for online use (including eshop).

There is no way to "clean" a sysnand and go online without a Ban, because The Big N saves your logs and states on their servers, so if you connect a system with the same ID and different logs that is a instant ban

I think you misunderstand the situation. My Switch hasn't been online since I started hacking it. The logs on Nintendo's servers are all normal. All hacking has been confined to my offline emunand.

I want to know if my accidental CFW sysnand access will cause a ban.

I went online in SX OS by mistake and did not play, run, install any games or homebrew there about two years ago. Not banned yet, but you never know.

Good to know. I use atmosphere, so I hope it works the same.

you could restore the backup of your sysnand before you hacked it and it should make it "clean" that's what i did when i switched to emunand so my sysnand has always been clean and i'm still not banned. I play online every so often

no guarantee tho

I do have that backup. My question is, is the nand restore necessary? I'm not sure if sysnand cfw would leave logs that could lead to a ban.

Chaosta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have (2) launch Switches that were online briefly just to link my nintendo ids.
After 2 years passed, I was just curious and went online to check the eshop. And guess what? yep I am BANNED.

Only way to find out is to go online yourself and see if you can access the eshop.
lmao what? "most likely"? where did you get this from.. 1000s of people. including myself play online in syscfw, use homebrew and even cheats and arent banned and havent been in 3+yrs.

If all op did was boot syscfw then shutdown, he 99.9% wont ever get banned.

Chaosta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh lol

I haven't configured it. So that's a no then?
if you never had the switch connected to internet at all in emunand, that itself is basically exosphere. that said, you had better incognito/exosphere just incase you accidentally do connect. so even tho you didnt have exosphere, so long as you never connected to the internet in that nand, then nintendo wont have any logs.

all you need to do is:

1: exosphere/incognito your emunand.
2: shutdown then boot ofw.
3: update ofw and play like normal.

no need to keep sd out while in ofw, nintendo cant ban you for whats on your sd card.

Alvyssy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
lmao what? "most likely"? where did you get this from.. 1000s of people. including myself play online in syscfw, use homebrew and even cheats and arent banned and havent been in 3+yrs.

If all op did was boot syscfw then shutdown, he 99.9% wont ever get banned.
So is it safe if I play a 60fps patch on syscfw while the switch is offline and after rebooting play that game online without patches/hacks? And is it safe if I (for example) play Breath of the wild with overclock while the switch is connected to the internet since botw is not an online game?

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is it safe if I play a 60fps patch on syscfw while the switch is offline and after rebooting play that game online without patches/hacks? And is it safe if I (for example) play Breath of the wild with overclock while the switch is connected to the internet since botw is not an online game?
Single player games is fine whether your switch is online or not. But to prevent being paranoid about what isn't safe setup an emunand and do your cfw stuff on that instead. Thats your best future proof ban solution.

Chaosta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nothing in syscfw is "Safe" only varying degrees of it, that said. sysclk is fine even online. mods vary from game to game. botw any mod youre likely fine. whether the game is online of not doesnt matter. the switch holds logs that it sends once you reconnect. so staying offline for certain mods doesnt do anything if you go back online in that same nand.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, JonTron's back yet again until he disappears into the void for another 6 or...