Cleaning the DS Lite

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by neojei, Jan 4, 2007.

Jan 4, 2007

Cleaning the DS Lite by neojei at 6:08 AM (1,305 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. neojei
    OP

Member neojei GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have no problem keeping the screens clean, and the glossy parts clean, but whats bugging me is the matte areas. Oh the outter part of the DS Lite, the exposed matte areas to me seem like are turning yellowish, could be the light though, but it doesn't seem like its as white as it was when i first got it. Also, it seems like its getting dirty. I don't really know what to use to clean it with, I've tried alcohol, but that didn't work still looks kinda dirty. What do other people use to clean their DS Lites with?
    Also, just a side note, I have a crack in my left hinge, been there for a while, was thinking about getting a SHOCK! case, anyone know if their cases are alright quality wise? I've heard they're just the clear casses with paint on it, lol.
    Thanks.

2. yee

Member yee DOTA 4EVER

Canada
    IMO, go replace your whole DSL. There is a crack anyways.

You'll have warranty from Nintendo regardless if you have a receipt or not since Nintendo offers one year limited warranty and the DSL came out June of last year.

3. Darkspark

Member Darkspark GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Mines not getting yellow, but i rarely play it, and when I do its not usually in direct sunlight or after i've eaten greasy foods.
    The condition of mine is fine, I use a NDS Hori case, about £5 off gadget asia.
    To clean I use a sony ericsson T610 cloth. Which suck the oil off the DS gloss. But unfortunately there is no way to avoid it getting greasy when you play it.

Alcohol was a bad idea. If anything, adding chemicals to your plastic is what WILL turn your ds yellow.

I use a can of compressed air if I ever need to blast dirt off my ds lite and give it soapy baths everyonce in a while, if its been used a lot by people that dont wash their hands after eating lunch...

4. -EX-

Banned -EX- Racer

Japan
    Wash your hands before playing with an expensive piece of electronics.

5. Verocity

Member Verocity Ö!

United States
    That and clean your DS Lite with Vineager and a soft cloth or soft papertowel, you can clean your screens with vineager too it works very well. Vineager removes all the oils from your fingers and makes it look like you just bought it [​IMG] After I get it clean I dont want to touch it.

6. 5uck3rpunch

Member 5uck3rpunch Surf Monster!

United States
    I use those little packs (that look like condom packs) of eyeglass cleaners that you can buy at Wal_Mart. They work great! I can also keep a few in my DS case!

7. Romnerd

Member Romnerd Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    PC Screen cleaner works a treat, brings them up like new. Use a glass lense cloth.

I know someone with a crack on the hinge, dosent appear to be a problem but if its still under guarantee sending it back to Nintendo will sort it out, they appear to be very good. Another friend has had the calibration go wonky on two silver DS's and both time they have swapped it out.
    Cool !

8. Darkspark

Member Darkspark GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Thats just the problem. People dont see the ds as expensive kit.
    Oh yea... they will wash their hands before playing a PSP, but a ds lite, forget it..

9. neojei
    OP

Member neojei GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The gloss I dont have problems with, and my hands are clean when I do play, the DS Lite is an important piece or hardware for me, so I don't throw it around or let people play it really. The thing is expensive as you pointed out. The only parts that seem yellowish to me, probably no one would notice it except me since I own it, are the parts on the outside, that are matte. Pretty much the area where the hinges are, the gloss parts are totally fine, but when you compare to the matte on the outside of the ds to the glass, it looks like two shades of white to me. This is when the ds is closed of course, The inside looks as white as when I first bought it. I might take a soft toothbrush and some soap and water and try that. Thanks again.

10. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    Wii IS LIKE RADDER THAN TACOS!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. brn

Member brn GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    How do you go about doing that? How much vineager and what kind (any kind)? Can we get a video tutorial? [​IMG]